trying to finish up

Re: trying to finish up

Gurstein, Michael
I like the reforumulation below a lot, Michael!

I don't however like this very much "We believe that citizens need open and free access to civic information and data, particularly in an information economy"... I think using the terminology of the "Information Society" is much more powerful in that one can draw link directly into the various clauses and proclamations (in which Canada was a lead actor) from the World Summit on the Information Society... (In fact it might not be a bad idea to have a quote somewhere from there...

I'm still in recovery mode from a major travel excursion or I would dig something out, but Robert Guerra or Bill McIver both of whom many (most?) of you know and who (both) could/should be enlisted in this enterprise would probably have something at their finger tips...

MG

Re: trying to finish up

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
woooooo! I like maps!

Daniel Haran wrote:
On 3/26/06, Cory Horner [hidden email] wrote:

Regarding the maple leaf: I agree, inclusivity is crucial, but I'm
really not interested in figuring out how to navigate subtle
intra-national politics of symbolism. Just as long as the first page
makes it clear that this is a Canadian thing, how it's done is
unimportant to me. Whatever people think works best works with me.

One option (potentially ugly) is to plaster the Canadian and provincial
flags on the page, assuming the issue is the absence of the Quebec flag,
rather than the presence of the Canadian one.

How about a map of Canada? I know we don't concentrate solely on GIS
data- it's just that if we put in a fleur-de-lys in the mix, we might
upset some federalists. Canadian identity politics are like a
minefield :)

Like I said, I'm no designer.. anyone here want to think up / draw
different options?

Re: trying to finish up

Stephane Guidoin
Hi Patrick,

Do you think you could make a simple logo with the word CivicAccess and a stylized map of Canada ? I could try something if you don't have time but you could do something better I guess.

Can you send me the source of the splash page also ?

Stef

Patrick Dinnen wrote:
I really like Daniel's proposed front page text. I like the clear
'manifesto' and call to action sections.

I still feel it would be useful to have a non-wiki front page for the
site (not sure if this was your thought or not Daniel?). We're told not
to judge books by their covers', but we still do it all the time. I
wouldn't want people to be scared off by the wiki-look of the site
before they get an idea what it's about.

Regarding the maple leaf: I agree, inclusivity is crucial, but I'm
really not interested in figuring out how to navigate subtle
intra-national politics of symbolism. Just as long as the first page
makes it clear that this is a Canadian thing, how it's done is
unimportant to me. Whatever people think works best works with me.

Patrick

Michael Lenczner wrote:

looks good.

I would skip the maple leave, though.  seems . . . gratuitous, to a
quebecer at least.  and it kinda looks like we might be "official",
gov't funded or something.

 :-)

Michael Lenczner wrote:

[...]

Let's sum up

Stephane Guidoin
Here is want I'll try to do :

- I asked Patrick to do something like the logo he did but with a stylized map of canada and "CivicAccess" (and AccèsCivique for french). I'll add a splash page with this and the content of this page : http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPageMockup (+ translation). This shouldn't be too hard.

- I asked Robin if we could modify the template easily to add a small navigation menu (like what they add on their FACIL website. A navigation menu would help to sort the content and could solve a part of the content organization problem we have.

- The language issue really p*** me off. I'm french (not french canadien/quebecer) so my opinion may not be representative : to me many french canadians might be able to understand that we don't have a lot of resources to translate all the content and when we want to bring people from all over the country, english is the language. We try to put some content in french as we can. Then we should put to much emphasis on french. For example, the title of the page (which is also the URL) must remain in english only (and simple).

- Language auto-detection : The wiki software has this ability. When a french-configured browser arrives on the website, the wiki provides the webpage "Page D'Accueil (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil) which is for the moment forwarded to the common frontpage. We could remove that forward and copy the french version to the "Page d'accueil" page. In fact it's already done but I leave the french version in the FrontPage for the moment.

Anything else ?

Re: Let's sum up

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Stephane Guidoin wrote:
> Here is want I'll try to do :
>
> - I asked Patrick to do something like the logo he did but with a stylized map of canada and "CivicAccess" (and AccèsCivique for french). I'll add a splash page with this and the content of this page : http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPageMockup (+ translation). This shouldn't be too hard.

nice!
> - I asked Robin if we could modify the template easily to add a small navigation menu (like what they add on their FACIL website. A navigation menu would help to sort the content and could solve a part of the content organization problem we have.

Great!  I am working on refining some of what i put up there, and will
think more carefully about mutually exclusive categories.
> - The language issue really p*** me off. I'm french (not french canadien/quebecer) so my opinion may not be representative : to me many french canadians might be able to understand that we don't have a lot of resources to translate all the content and when we want to bring people from all over the country, english is the language. We try to put some content in french as we can. Then we should put to much emphasis on french. For example, the title of the page (which is also the URL) must remain in english only (and simple).

ce que tu dis est plus ou moin vrai, pour moi, je commence a travailler
de plus en plus en francais, et j'aimerais en faire plus, donc le plus
possible ce serait bien de faire le mieux que l'on peu en sachant que
l'on ne peu pas tous faire.  Par example, a ottawa on ne peu pas
travailler uniquement en englais, je vois hull de chez moi car il n'y a
que une petite riviere qui nous separe!  Ah! c'est un fait culturel et
historique. Les gens comprendront mais seulement s'ils voient que nous
faisont un vrai efforts! Et je dirais qu'a date on fais 'une pas mal
bonne job' !
> - Language auto-detection : The wiki software has this ability. When a french-configured browser arrives on the website, the wiki provides the webpage "Page D'Accueil (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil) which is for the moment forwarded to the common frontpage. We could remove that forward and copy the french version to the "Page d'accueil" page. In fact it's already done but I leave the french version in the FrontPage for the moment.

nice! pourrais-tu un jour m'induquer comment faire la figuration un
jour! et pourquoi que mes clef 'short cut' pour les accents ne
fonctionne pas dans le wiki?
> Anything else ?

This is great!

Re: Let's sum up

Robin Millette
On 3/26/06, Stephane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here is want I'll try to do :

> - I asked Robin if we could modify the template easily to add a small navigation menu (like what they add on their FACIL website. A navigation menu would help to sort the content and could solve a part of the content organization problem we have.

Should be doable, I'll try and find the time tomorrow to take a better
look at this.

> - The language issue really p*** me off. I'm french (not french canadien/quebecer) so my opinion may not be representative : to me many french canadians might be able to understand that we don't have a lot of resources to translate all the content and when we want to bring people from all over the country, english is the language. We try to put some content in french as we can. Then we should put to much emphasis on french. For example, the title of the page (which is also the URL) must remain in english only (and simple).

First, we have to make a disctinction between the wiki and website.
Generally, I prefer english only URLs and the content in whatever
language the browser/user requests. For the wiki though, using
moinmoin, we don't really have a choice to distinguish the language of
the page, mostly because of the nature of wiki words.

> - Language auto-detection : The wiki software has this ability. When a french-configured browser arrives on the website, the wiki provides the webpage "Page D'Accueil (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/PageD%27Accueil) which is for the moment forwarded to the common frontpage. We could remove that forward and copy the french version to the "Page d'accueil" page. In fact it's already done but I leave the french version in the FrontPage for the moment.

Yes, with moinmoin, you specify the language of each page at the top.
Then you have another page (a dictionary) enumerating all the pages
and their language equivalents. I think, with a little prodding, we
can keep both official languages mostly up to date. At the very least,
we need the infrastructure now to support it. If we can't keep up with
the content in two languages down the road, we can revise our position
then or double our efforts.

One last note about the wiki / website distinction. If, like FACIL, we
pick a wiki as a tool to edit our website collectively, we will get a
website in the end, and not something that looks or smells like a
wiki. I'm not saying we have to use a wiki for our website, far from
it. Whatever tool we pick, it should let more then one person edit the
content, and wikis are pretty good at that, regardless of the content.

Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/
Président de FACIL : http://facil.qc.ca/

Re: trying to finish up

Patrick Dinnen
I agree, a map image is a great solution, visually indicated Candianess
without being divisive.

I'll try to put something together today and email it to you Stephane.

Patrick

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Do you think you could make a simple logo with the word CivicAccess and
> a stylized map of Canada ? I could try something if you don't have time
> but you could do something better I guess.
>
> Can you send me the source of the splash page also ?
>
> Stef
>
> Patrick Dinnen wrote:
>> I really like Daniel's proposed front page text. I like the clear
>> 'manifesto' and call to action sections.
>>
>> I still feel it would be useful to have a non-wiki front page for the
>> site (not sure if this was your thought or not Daniel?). We're told
>> not to judge books by their covers', but we still do it all the time.
>> I wouldn't want people to be scared off by the wiki-look of the site
>> before they get an idea what it's about.
>>
>> Regarding the maple leaf: I agree, inclusivity is crucial, but I'm
>> really not interested in figuring out how to navigate subtle
>> intra-national politics of symbolism. Just as long as the first page
>> makes it clear that this is a Canadian thing, how it's done is
>> unimportant to me. Whatever people think works best works with me.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> Daniel Haran wrote:
>>
>>> I've put up a mock up of the front page as I would see it.
>>> http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPageMockup
>>>
>>> Eventually, a front page could have just the first paragraph, with
>>> news (+RSS feed) and *ways for people to get involved*. That last
>>> point is probably the most important thing from my perspective. What
>>> do we want this site to accomplish? A lot of decisions flow very
>>> easily once that's clear.
>>>
>>> Oh, and I made up a campaign. It's a devious ploy to get people
>>> thinking about a census data campaign. (I think it's a great idea).
>>>
>>> Disclaimers:
>>> 1- It's ugly. I never pretended to be a designer :)
>>> 2- The information is mostly based on our About page, but I've changed
>>> important parts (e.g. removing the non-commercial objective. I think
>>> data should be free, and I think that was the consensus on the list so
>>> far)
>>> 3- I didn't translate the page, as I think these should be separate
>>> English/French pages as mentioned earlier. I can translate if/once it
>>> has consensus.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Daniel.

Re: trying to finish up

Gurstein, Michael
Ad mare usque mare (usque mare)...

MG

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> Hi Patrick,
>
> Do you think you could make a simple logo with the word CivicAccess
> and
> a stylized map of Canada ? I could try something if you don't have time
> but you could do something better I guess.
>
> Can you send me the source of the splash page also ?
>
> Stef
>
> Patrick Dinnen wrote:
>> I really like Daniel's proposed front page text. I like the clear
>> 'manifesto' and call to action sections.
>>
>> I still feel it would be useful to have a non-wiki front page for the
>> site (not sure if this was your thought or not Daniel?). We're told
>> not to judge books by their covers', but we still do it all the time.
>> I wouldn't want people to be scared off by the wiki-look of the site
>> before they get an idea what it's about.
>>
>> Regarding the maple leaf: I agree, inclusivity is crucial, but I'm
>> really not interested in figuring out how to navigate subtle
>> intra-national politics of symbolism. Just as long as the first page
>> makes it clear that this is a Canadian thing, how it's done is
>> unimportant to me. Whatever people think works best works with me.
>>
>> Patrick
>>
>> Daniel Haran wrote:
>>
>>> I've put up a mock up of the front page as I would see it.
>>> http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPageMockup
>>>
>>> Eventually, a front page could have just the first paragraph, with
>>> news (+RSS feed) and *ways for people to get involved*. That last
>>> point is probably the most important thing from my perspective. What
>>> do we want this site to accomplish? A lot of decisions flow very
>>> easily once that's clear.
>>>
>>> Oh, and I made up a campaign. It's a devious ploy to get people
>>> thinking about a census data campaign. (I think it's a great idea).
>>>
>>> Disclaimers:
>>> 1- It's ugly. I never pretended to be a designer :)
>>> 2- The information is mostly based on our About page, but I've
>>> changed important parts (e.g. removing the non-commercial objective.
>>> I think data should be free, and I think that was the consensus on
>>> the list so
>>> far)
>>> 3- I didn't translate the page, as I think these should be separate
>>> English/French pages as mentioned earlier. I can translate if/once it
>>> has consensus.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Daniel.

Re: trying to finish up

Michael Lenczner
On 3/26/06, Gurstein, Michael <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I like the reforumulation below a lot, Michael!
>
> I don't however like this very much "We believe that citizens need open and free access to civic information and data, particularly in an information economy"... I think using the terminology of the "Information Society" is much more powerful in that one can draw link directly into the various clauses and proclamations (in which Canada was a lead actor) from the World Summit on the Information Society... (In fact it might not be a bad idea to have a quote somewhere from there...

that was actually a mistake (economy).  i changed it last night to
society.  but i'm glad that you like it.  I forget who came up with it
(tracey, pat, steph or I)

> I'm still in recovery mode from a major travel excursion or I would dig something out, but Robert Guerra or Bill McIver both of whom many (most?) of you know and who (both) could/should be enlisted in this enterprise would probably have something at their finger tips...

Yikes.  There's too much work to do on the current wiki. We're
tackling that first (trying to come up with an architecture, decent
navigation, putting up some friendly content, etc).