public announcement - draft 1

Michael Lenczner
This is draft 1 of the letter that we will be asking you if you want
to support before it is released.  It's basically the same as the
letter that Patrick, Tracey, Stef and I sent you as an invitation.
Please take a look over it and give feedback:

"We - the undersigned - would like to invite you to participate in a
new Canadian civic engagement space - Citizens for Open Access to
Civic Information and Data (aka: CivicAccess). CivicAccess is being
formed out of a belief that open civic information and data are
necessary for being an engaged citizen in an "information society". We
want to encourage the use of online technologies to enable citizens to
easily find public information and data and to develop policies to
make them freely accessible in open formats. This movement involves
people from different sectors (policy work, free/open source software,
social planning, data access, technology development, mapping, public
education, etc.).

As citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are trying
to contribute to the development of a larger community of practice
around open civic data in Canada. Access to civic information and data
help us make informed choices as voters as well as making government
more transparent and therefore accountable - essential elements of a
democracy. In addition these are the bits and bytes required to
re-imagine, re-envision, visualize and critically analyze the
communities we live in.

An email discussion list and a wiki with some draft content have been
created. A wiki is a collaborative web-based tool that will host
content and resources discussed on the list.

Please join the list and introduce yourselves, check out the wiki,
share your ideas and interests, add content, introduce activities and
projects that need support and discuss issues you think are important.

This is an idea whose time has come in Canada. Please join us in
making it a reality! "

http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnoucement

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Cory Horner
Michael Lenczner wrote:

>This is draft 1 of the letter that we will be asking you if you want
>to support before it is released.  It's basically the same as the
>letter that Patrick, Tracey, Stef and I sent you as an invitation.
>Please take a look over it and give feedback...

Looks good to me -- i'd happily tag my name to that.

Thanks to you all for taking the initiative on this.  When we're ready
to launch, what is the dissemination process? A press release on the
frontpage, and we each forward it to anyone we know?

Cheers,
Cory.

On 2/13/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Michael Lenczner wrote:
>
> >This is draft 1 of the letter that we will be asking you if you want
> >to support before it is released.  It's basically the same as the
> >letter that Patrick, Tracey, Stef and I sent you as an invitation.
> >Please take a look over it and give feedback...
> >
> Looks good to me -- i'd happily tag my name to that.

:-)

> Thanks to you all for taking the initiative on this.  When we're ready

You're welcome - i know that the four of us have enjoyed kickstarting
this.  And we're happy to see that there's a need for it.

> to launch, what is the dissemination process? A press release on the
> frontpage, and we each forward it to anyone we know?

Basically, yup.  Hopefully we can get some of the biggies to blog it,
too.  If someone wants to send it as a press release that would
probably be okay as well - I'm not a PR guy so I don't know if there's
any reason to try that.

Anyone else have ideas?

> Cheers,
> Cory.

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Stephane Guidoin

> Basically, yup.  Hopefully we can get some of the biggies to blog it,
> too.  If someone wants to send it as a press release that would
> probably be okay as well - I'm not a PR guy so I don't know if there's
> any reason to try that.
>
> Anyone else have ideas?

To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
than an invitation.

For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.

The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make
something more public and opened.

Stef

ORC Press Release :

(Please widely circulate!)

December 09, 2005
New Canadian Voice in Digital Rights Issues

Online Rights Canada Launches with EFF, CIPPIC Support

Toronto - Online Rights Canada (ORC) launched in Canada Friday, giving
Canadians a new voice in critical technology and information policy
issues. The grassroots organization is jointly supported by the
Canadian

Internet Policy & Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC) and the Electronic
Frontier Foundation (EFF).

"Canadians are realizing in ever-greater numbers that the online world
offers tremendous opportunities for learning, communicating, and
innovating, but that those opportunities are at risk as a result of
corporate practices, government policies and legal regimes that hinder
online privacy and free speech," said Philippa Lawson, Executive
Director
and General Counsel of CIPPIC. "Online Rights Canada provides a home on
the Internet for grassroots activism on digital issues that are
important
to ordinary Canadians."

"With the Canadian government preparing for a January election, all of
last year's legislation is back on the drawing board. Canadians now
have

another chance to present a public interest perspective on issues like
copyright reform and increased government surveillance," said Ren
Bucholz,
EFF's Policy Coordinator, Americas. "We are happy to be launching ORC
at

such a critical time."

One of ORC's first actions is a petition drive against unwarranted
surveillance law. A bill proposed in Parliament last month would have
allowed law enforcement agencies to obtain personal information without
warrant and forced communications providers to build surveillance
backdoors into the hardware that routes phone calls and Internet
traffic.
The petition asks Canadian lawmakers to protect citizens' privacy
rights

when the new government convenes in 2006. Other important issues for
ORC

will include copyright law, access to information, and freedom from
censorship.

"Today, ORC focuses on digital copyright and lawful access. But there
is

no reason to restrict the site to those two issues," said CIPPIC Staff
Counsel David Fewer. "Our hope is that ORC will evolve into the first
place to go for Canadians looking for opportunities to protect their
online rights. Anyone can be an activist - Online Rights Canada will
give
you the tools you need."

Online Rights Canada is the latest group to join the global fight for
digital rights. Digital Rights Ireland launched earlier this week, and
the
Open Rights Group launched in the United Kingdom last month.

For Online Rights Canada:
http://www.onlinerights.ca

Contacts:

Ren Bucholz
Policy Coordinator, Americas
Electronic Frontier Foundation
ren -at- eff -.- org

Philippa Lawson
Executive Director
Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic
plawson -at uottawa -.- ca

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Stephane Guidoin
And a set the correct address for announcement  :)

http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
mornin'
beau travail tous le monde!

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

>And a set the correct address for announcement  :)
>
>http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
I would prefer invites for the moment and use press releases to announce
specific actions, targeted efforts, a new built thing, new stuff etc.  I
still think we are in a building process and would like to work on
participation a bit more.
Cheers
Tracey

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> [...]
>place to go for Canadians looking for opportunities to protect their
>online rights. Anyone can be an activist - Online Rights Canada will
>give
>you the tools you need."
>
>Online Rights Canada is the latest group to join the global fight for
>digital rights. Digital Rights Ireland launched earlier this week, and
>the
>Open Rights Group launched in the United Kingdom last month.
>
>For Online Rights Canada:
>http://www.onlinerights.ca
>
>Contacts:
>
>Ren Bucholz
>Policy Coordinator, Americas
>Electronic Frontier Foundation
>ren -at- eff -.- org
>
>Philippa Lawson
>Executive Director
>Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic

Excellent!
Blogging, listserves, sending it directly to people we know would like
this or who should know about this is a good PR activity.  Not sure
about press yet.

Do we need to include instructions in how to reg to the list and wiki?
Will folks still have to register to add content to the wiki?

Ciao
Tracey

Michael Lenczner wrote:

>This is draft 1 of the letter that we will be asking you if you want
>to support before it is released.  It's basically the same as the
>letter that Patrick, Tracey, Stef and I sent you as an invitation.
>Please take a look over it and give feedback:
>

>"We - the undersigned - would like to invite you to participate in a
>new Canadian civic engagement space - Citizens for Open Access to
>Civic Information and Data (aka: CivicAccess). CivicAccess is being
>formed out of a belief that open civic information and data are
>necessary for being an engaged citizen in an "information society". We
>want to encourage the use of online technologies to enable citizens to
>easily find public information and data and to develop policies to
>make them freely accessible in open formats. This movement involves
>people from different sectors (policy work, free/open source software,
>social planning, data access, technology development, mapping, public
>education, etc.).
>
>As citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are trying
>to contribute to the development of a larger community of practice
>around open civic data in Canada. Access to civic information and data
>help us make informed choices as voters as well as making government
>more transparent and therefore accountable - essential elements of a
>democracy. In addition these are the bits and bytes required to
>re-imagine, re-envision, visualize and critically analyze the
>communities we live in.
>
>An email discussion list and a wiki with some draft content have been
>created. A wiki is a collaborative web-based tool that will host
>content and resources discussed on the list.
>
>Please join the list and introduce yourselves, check out the wiki,
>share your ideas and interests, add content, introduce activities and
>projects that need support and discuss issues you think are important.
>
>This is an idea whose time has come in Canada. Please join us in
>making it a reality! "
>
>http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnoucement

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Michael Lenczner
Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.

Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.

------------------------------------

We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
"information society".

Our goals are:

1) to encourage all levels of government to make civic data freely
accessible in open formats and to work with them to help make that
happen.

2) to support projects that use new online technologies to enable
citizens to easily find and share public information and data as well
as to re-contextualize that information in ways that make it
meaningful to them.

Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
re-envision the communities in which we live.

As engaged citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are
working to develop a community of practice around open civic data in
Canada.

This is an idea whose time has come.  Please join us in making it a reality!

signed:

Names

On 2/13/06, Stephane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Basically, yup.  Hopefully we can get some of the biggies to blog it,
> > too.  If someone wants to send it as a press release that would
> > probably be okay as well - I'm not a PR guy so I don't know if there's
> > any reason to try that.
> >
> > Anyone else have ideas?
> >

> To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
> participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
> be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
> than an invitation.
>
> For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
> after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
> ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.
>
> The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
> website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
> To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make
> something more public and opened.
>
> Stef
<snip>

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Robin Millette
On 2/20/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
>
> Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
> I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.

I haven't been very vocal, so I hope you won't see this as an
intrusion. I'm very comfortable with this letter, so I'm offering to
translate it (or at least give it a try) when we're happy with the
announcement. I also noted one or two small problems, just nit
picking, really. See below.

> We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
> Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
> Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
> librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
> lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
> Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
> and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
> "information society".

People who know me will not be surprise to hear me ask for free
software advocates to be represented :)

> Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
> voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and

"In addition, they help" -> "It helps" (in addition is repeated below)

> accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
> are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
> re-envision the communities in which we live.

My 2 cents,
from your friendly free software advocate :)

Robin 'oqp' Millette (aka Lord D. Nattor)
http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Hugh McGuire
looks great mike. one small suggestion for para 5 (just my 2 cents, fine
as it is too):

"In addition these are the bits and bytes required to understand and
critically analyze the communities we live in, and to build the
communities we want to live in."

On 2/20/06, Robin Millette <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/20/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
> >
> > Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
> > I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.
>
> I haven't been very vocal, so I hope you won't see this as an
> intrusion. I'm very comfortable with this letter, so I'm offering to
> translate it (or at least give it a try) when we're happy with the
> announcement. I also noted one or two small problems, just nit
> picking, really. See below.

There is already a french version here but it needs to be updated:
http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement

Your help would be appreciated.

> > We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
> > Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
> > Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
> > librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
> > lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
> > Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
> > and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
> > "information society".
>
> People who know me will not be surprise to hear me ask for free
> software advocates to be represented :)

done.  thanks robin.

> > Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
> > voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
>
> "In addition, they help" -> "It helps" (in addition is repeated below)
fixed both.  thanks.

> > accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
> > are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
> > re-envision the communities in which we live.
>
> My 2 cents,
> from your friendly free software advocate :)
>
> --
> Robin 'oqp' Millette (aka Lord D. Nattor)
> http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/

(no subject)

Hugh McGuire
not sure if this has been posted yet here, but this is a US-based libre
map project:
http://libre.redjar.org/maps/

Michael Lenczner wrote:

> On 2/20/06, Robin Millette <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>On 2/20/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
>>>
>>>Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
>>>I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.
>>
>>I haven't been very vocal, so I hope you won't see this as an
>>intrusion. I'm very comfortable with this letter, so I'm offering to
>>translate it (or at least give it a try) when we're happy with the
>>announcement. I also noted one or two small problems, just nit
>>picking, really. See below.
>>

> There is already a french version here but it needs to be updated:
> http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement
>
> Your help would be appreciated.
>

>>>We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
>>>Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
>>>Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
>>>librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
>>>lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
>>>Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
>>>and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
>>>"information society".
>>
>>People who know me will not be surprise to hear me ask for free
>>software advocates to be represented :)
>

> done.  thanks robin.
>
>>>Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
>>>voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
>>
>>"In addition, they help" -> "It helps" (in addition is repeated below)
>
> fixed both.  thanks.
>
>>>accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
>>>are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
>>>re-envision the communities in which we live.
>>
>>My 2 cents,
>>from your friendly free software advocate :)
>>
>>--
>>Robin 'oqp' Millette (aka Lord D. Nattor)
>>http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Can i get a few more hours!  my flights etc. redirected me to montreal instead of bc and
now i refuse to pay for wifi so i am roaming around trying to get to email...

pleeeeease!

Tracey P. Lauriault
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre (GCRC)
Dept. of Geography, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
(Off) +1 613 520 2600 ext 2252 (Home) +1 613 234 2805
[hidden email] or [hidden email]

On Feb 20, "Michael Lenczner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > too.  If someone wants to send it as a press release that would
> > > probably be okay as well - I'm not a PR guy so I don't know if there's
> > > any reason to try that.
> > >
> > > Anyone else have ideas?
> > >

> > To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
> > participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
> > be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
> > than an invitation.
> >
> > For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
> > after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
> > ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.
> >
> > The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
> > website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
> > To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make

of course!

On 2/21/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Canada.
> >
> > This is an idea whose time has come.  Please join us in making it a reality!
> >
> > signed:
> >
> > Names

> > > To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
> > > participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
> > > be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
> > > than an invitation.
> > >
> > > For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
> > > after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
> > > ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.
> > >
> > > The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
> > > website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
> > > To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make

I like it!

On Feb 20, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Dept. of Geography, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
(Off) +1 613 520 2600 ext 2252 (Home) +1 613 234 2805
[hidden email] or [hidden email]

On Feb 20, "Michael Lenczner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
>
> Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
> I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
> Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
> Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
> librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
> lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
> Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
> and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an

remove - tools

> Our goals are:
>
> 1) to encourage all levels of government to make civic data freely
> accessible in open formats and to work with them to help make that
> happen.

change - freely accessible - to - accessible at no cost for non commercial purposes -
reason - freely is the current modis operanti but at a cost!  excluding freedom of
information (FOI).  non commercial is important as the assumption is that a business can
afford to do this.

> 2) to support projects that use new online technologies to enable
> citizens to easily find and share public information and data as well
> as to re-contextualize that information in ways that make it
> meaningful to them.

hugh's changes here?

> Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
> voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
> accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
> are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
> re-envision the communities in which we live.

> As engaged citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are
> working to develop a community of practice around open civic data in
> Canada.

change - of our - to - in our

> This is an idea whose time has come.  Please join us in making it a reality!
>
> signed:
>
> Names
>

> On 2/13/06, Stephane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Basically, yup.  Hopefully we can get some of the biggies to blog it,
> > > too.  If someone wants to send it as a press release that would
> > > probably be okay as well - I'm not a PR guy so I don't know if there's
> > > any reason to try that.
> > >
> > > Anyone else have ideas?
> > >

> > To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
> > participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
> > be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
> > than an invitation.
> >
> > For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
> > after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
> > ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.
> >
> > The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
> > website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
> > To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make
> > something more public and opened.
> >
> > Stef
> <snip>

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Michael Lenczner
comments inline below

On 2/21/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tracey P. Lauriault
> Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre (GCRC)
> Dept. of Geography, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
> (Off) +1 613 520 2600 ext 2252 (Home) +1 613 234 2805
> [hidden email] or [hidden email]
>
> On Feb 20, "Michael Lenczner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
> >
> > Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
> > I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >

> > We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
> > Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
> > Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
> > librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
> > lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
> > Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
> > and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
> > "information society".
>
> remove - tools

done.

> > Our goals are:
> >
> > 1) to encourage all levels of government to make civic data freely
> > accessible in open formats and to work with them to help make that
> > happen.
>
> change - freely accessible - to - accessible at no cost for non commercial purposes -
> reason - freely is the current modis operanti but at a cost!  excluding freedom of
> information (FOI).  non commercial is important as the assumption is that a business can
> afford to do this.

I respectfully disagree with this.  I think that I should be able to
make a map of montreal that is advertiser supported and I should be
able to include potholes taken from a municipal or burrough database.
I think that that database should be freely accessible to all - not
just to non-profit entities.  Frankly, a lot of projects might not
happen if google adwords are not allowed.

I understand that we might want to aim for "free for non-profits" in
some cases as a temporary measure, but i think the real eventual goal
is "free for anyone to use + redistribute".  Especially in this new
world of web-services and GIS where one website or one map will call
information from 10 different databases, I think that it is too
restrictive to have no commercial uses at all.

I wonder if you're thinking mainly of the "data" (typical large data
sets like mapping and census info) as compared to "lighter
information" like real-estate tax records, city council minutes,
restaurant sanitation checks, water and air polution tests, provincial
parlimentary records, etc.  Are you saying that this information
should be only free for non-commercial use?  Why shouldn't i be able
to collect that info and make it available to my neighbors on an
advertiser supported website?.  Because if I'm forced to pay for each
type of information there is no way that I would ever start collecting
it all.

Maybe *big* business can afford to do this, but I think we need to
encourage *little* business (small entrepreneurs) to get involved /
interested in civic information.  They are great engines of innovation
and are often more user-centered than projecs by+for geeks.  Examples
- I want the local weeklies to have access to this info and to
re-print it.  Even the weeklies that *aren't* funded by big companies.
 Or Ile Sans Fil (my group).  What if we had a business owned by our
non-profit association that charged burroughs $500 a month to operate
a portal for them?

Paying the *big* business prices for commercial licenses of this
information/data is going to keep them out.

But this a valid point that we can debate/discuss.  Anyone else have
some opinions on this?

> > 2) to support projects that use new online technologies to enable
> > citizens to easily find and share public information and data as well
> > as to re-contextualize that information in ways that make it
> > meaningful to them.
>
> hugh's changes here?

I'm still struggling with the wording of hugh's suggestion.  I like
it, but I'm wondering if it's distracting - or I'm worrying if it
sounds too idealistic or smthng?

> > Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
> > voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
> > accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
> > are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
> > re-envision the communities in which we live.
>

> > As engaged citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are
> > working to develop a community of practice around open civic data in
> > Canada.
>
> change - of our - to - in our

I was thinking of citizens not in terms of Canadian citizens but of
the greek city/state citizens of our neighborhood, cities, provinces
*and* then also canadian citizens.

And I don't want to have something in our invitation to participate
where people have to identify as canadian citizens because I'm aware
that many of my co-workers don't identify as canadian citizens - so I
wanted to leave it open for them to feel implicated.

but if the way it's written sounds dumb, i would rather fix it then
leave it sounding ugly just as a symbol.  let me know.

> > This is an idea whose time has come.  Please join us in making it a reality!
> >
> > signed:
> >
> > Names

> > > To me there's a difference between invitation and press release. Actual
> > > participants could send invitations to people they know. But  it could
> > > be interesting to make a press release which is more an announcement
> > > than an invitation.
> > >
> > > For example Online Rights Canada made a press release (I copied it there
> > > after as a reminder). But obviously, we don't have the same target as
> > > ORC : we want people to be participants and not spectators.
> > >
> > > The text Mike sent might not have the right tone to be added on a
> > > website. But it's good when you make a invitation to someone you know.
> > > To me, only the first sentence really needs to be changed to make
> > > something more public and opened.
> > >
> > > Stef
> > <snip>

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
see inserts!
Thank goodness for civic access - i am doing this during an entire afternoon discussing
metadata modelling! ich!

On Feb 21, "Michael Lenczner" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> comments inline below
>

> On 2/21/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On Feb 20, "Michael Lenczner" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Here's draft version 0.98 of the public announcement.
> > >
> > > Unless anyone has problems with it I would suggest that we use it.
> > > I'll wait 24 hours for comments/suggestions.
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >

> > > We would like to announce the launch of a new online space for
> > > Canadian civic engagement - Citizens for Open Access to Civic
> > > Information and Data (CivicAccess).  CivicAccess is being founded by
> > > librarians, civil servants, GIS and IT professionals, academics,
> > > lawyers, open-source advocates, and community planners from across
> > > Canada.  We are motivated by the belief that open civic information
> > > and data are necessary tools for being engaged citizens in an
> > > "information society".
> >
> > remove - tools
>
> done.
>

> > > Our goals are:
> > >
> > > 1) to encourage all levels of government to make civic data freely
> > > accessible in open formats and to work with them to help make that
> > > happen.
> >
> > change - freely accessible - to - accessible at no cost for non commercial purposes -
> > reason - freely is the current modis operanti but at a cost!  excluding freedom of
> > information (FOI).  non commercial is important as the assumption is that a business can
> > afford to do this.
>
> I respectfully disagree with this.  I think that I should be able to
> make a map of montreal that is advertiser supported and I should be
> able to include potholes taken from a municipal or burrough database.
> I think that that database should be freely accessible to all - not
> just to non-profit entities.  Frankly, a lot of projects might not
> happen if google adwords are not allowed.

Ok! Just hard to get buy in!  Abolishing cost recovery all together is a hard sell.

> I understand that we might want to aim for "free for non-profits" in
> some cases as a temporary measure, but i think the real eventual goal
> is "free for anyone to use + redistribute".  Especially in this new
> world of web-services and GIS where one website or one map will call
> information from 10 different databases, I think that it is too
> restrictive to have no commercial uses at all.

Yes! distributed interoperable mapping is becoming the norm. And Yes i agree but again a
hard sell, but we can try!  Also the standards are not on our side as mapped civic data
are not available in these formats and are locked into proprietary formats.  Also, this
implies wiping out & challenging an entire data industry both private and public in real
terms.  Never popular, but is well within the objectives of Civic Access!  Alternatively -
no cost for all, some cost for some, and all cost for some! The first access step has been
the data liberation initiative (DLI), and a proposal is to extend that out the the non
profit sector.  That way you use and existing infrastructure and can convince university
libraries and also state institutions to support that by extending their services for a
good cause with little extra overhead.  Then industry comes along and lobbies for its own
interests.  A much more capable and well resourced sector that can turn a profit on data.
 To date the argument is, that industry can pay as they can generate revenue with the
information, while npos do not generate revenue but knowledge.

Perhaps the question is what are the steps required to get all the data free for all and
perhaps it needs to be focussed targeted efforts in certain areas to start and then
broaden.  This is a nice strategy question for those who want to focus their efforts in
those areas.

> I wonder if you're thinking mainly of the "data" (typical large data
> sets like mapping and census info) as compared to "lighter
> information" like real-estate tax records, city council minutes,
> restaurant sanitation checks, water and air polution tests, provincial
> parlimentary records, etc.  Are you saying that this information
> should be only free for non-commercial use?  Why shouldn't i be able
> to collect that info and make it available to my neighbors on an
> advertiser supported website?.  Because if I'm forced to pay for each
> type of information there is no way that I would ever start collecting
> it all.

you are correct, and bring up a good point regarding semantics.  When I use the term data
i am thinking science, census, geomatics, remote sensing, city infrastructure - data and
not data captured in a city council meeting etc.  The data you refer to above I consider
to be civic information currently available at no cost but not in the best form and nor is
it easy to find or access.

> Maybe *big* business can afford to do this, but I think we need to
> encourage *little* business (small entrepreneurs) to get involved /
> interested in civic information.  They are great engines of innovation
> and are often more user-centered than projecs by+for geeks.  Examples
> - I want the local weeklies to have access to this info and to
> re-print it.  Even the weeklies that *aren't* funded by big companies.
>  Or Ile Sans Fil (my group).  What if we had a business owned by our
> non-profit association that charged burroughs $500 a month to operate
> a portal for them?

yup!  true, but the argument, (not my beliefs or values) will remain that industry big or
small can generate revenue and why not have that revenue get back to the gov somehow as
that revenue pays for citizens and npo's.

> Paying the *big* business prices for commercial licenses of this
> information/data is going to keep them out.

good point.  twarts innovation.

> But this a valid point that we can debate/discuss.  Anyone else have
> some opinions on this?

any others! Russel what are your thoughts on this?

> > > 2) to support projects that use new online technologies to enable
> > > citizens to easily find and share public information and data as well
> > > as to re-contextualize that information in ways that make it
> > > meaningful to them.
> >
> > hugh's changes here?
> > >
> I'm still struggling with the wording of hugh's suggestion.  I like
> it, but I'm wondering if it's distracting - or I'm worrying if it
> sounds too idealistic or smthng?

it is pretty good!  Less idealistic than free data for industry in this current fiscally
conservative environment ;)

> > > Access to civic information and data help us make informed choices as
> > > voters.  In addition they help to ensure government transparency and
> > > accountability - essential elements of a democracy. In addition these
> > > are the bits and bytes required to understand, critically analyze, and
> > > re-envision the communities in which we live.
> >

> > > As engaged citizens of our neighborhoods, cities, and provinces we are
> > > working to develop a community of practice around open civic data in
> > > Canada.
> >
> > change - of our - to - in our
> > >

> I was thinking of citizens not in terms of Canadian citizens but of
> the greek city/state citizens of our neighborhood, cities, provinces
> *and* then also canadian citizens.
>
> And I don't want to have something in our invitation to participate
> where people have to identify as canadian citizens because I'm aware
> that many of my co-workers don't identify as canadian citizens - so I
> wanted to leave it open for them to feel implicated.
>
> but if the way it's written sounds dumb, i would rather fix it then
> leave it sounding ugly just as a symbol.  let me know.

sounds dumb, fix it.

> > > This is an idea whose time has come.  Please join us in making it a reality!
> > >
> > > signed:
> > >
> > > Names

> > > <snip>

Re: public announcement - draft 1

Michael Lenczner
re: citizens - "sounds dumb"

fixed :-)

On 2/21/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> see inserts!
> Thank goodness for civic access - i am doing this during an entire afternoon discussing
> metadata modelling! ich!

<snip>

12