http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must be closed or otherwise require verified passwords.

Russell McOrmond-2

   I just went to look something up, and was confronted with a series of
"[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter fucking friend |" links
from a spammer.

    WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going around recent months
closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have strong password
protection around them.  I don't even allow people to log in and post
comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is automation for
creating new accounts (Including the whole email verification stuff) to
post SPAM.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must be closed or otherwise require verified passwords.

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
i just deleted the icky stuff -
can someone go back in time and get the content that was on the front page!
and well lets password protect the thing!
some people are mean!
cheers
Hugh McGuire wrote:

> ouch sounds like its time for some anti-spam measures at
> civicaccess.ca ...account moderation I guess.
>

> On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:16 AM, Russell McOrmond wrote:
>

>>    I just went to look something up, and was confronted with a series of
>> "[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter fucking friend |" links
>> from a spammer.
>>
>>     WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going around recent months
>> closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have strong password
>> protection around them.  I don't even allow people to log in and post
>> comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is automation for
>> creating new accounts (Including the whole email verification stuff) to
>> post SPAM.
>>
>> --
>>   Russell McOrmond, Internet Consultant: <http://www.flora.ca/>
>>   Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
>>   rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
>>   http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/
>>
>>   "The government, lobbied by legacy copyright holders and hardware
>>    manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
>>    portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must be closed or otherwise require verified passwords.

Robin Millette
On 12/11/06, Russell McOrmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    I just went to look something up, and was confronted with a series of
> "[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter fucking friend |" links
> from a spammer.
>
>     WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going around recent months
> closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have strong password
> protection around them.  I don't even allow people to log in and post
> comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is automation for
> creating new accounts (Including the whole email verification stuff) to
> post SPAM.

I've hosted a bunch of wikis too, all open and never had a real
problem with it. Before closing the door on anonymous edits, I'm sure
we can come up with a few options.

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must beclosed or otherwise require verified passwords.

catherine

> >    I just went to look something up, and was
> confronted with a series of
> > "[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter
> fucking friend |" links
> > from a spammer.
> >
> >     WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going
> around recent months
> > closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have
> strong password
> > protection around them.  I don't even allow people
> to log in and post
> > comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is
> automation for
> > creating new accounts (Including the whole email
> verification stuff) to
> > post SPAM.
>
> I've hosted a bunch of wikis too, all open and never
> had a real
> problem with it. Before closing the door on anonymous
> edits, I'm sure
> we can come up with a few options.

I think a case can be made for closing or leaving Wikis open, it really depends on the context. However, if the group decides to implement stronger measures with regards to user authentification, I hope you will avoid using CAPTCHA as this presents important obstacles for certain persons with disabilities.

For more information on CAPTCHAs, please see this report from W3C :

http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/

Best regards,

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy, consultante

www.catherine-roy.net

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must beclosed or otherwise require verified passwords.

Richard Smith
I have reverted the front page to what looks like the most recent
"good" version of the page (v 76).

I didn't do anything else.

...r

On 12/11/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the captcha/disabilities problem can be addressed by putting a clear message
> on the captcha page to contact admin in case of visual problems. (we do this
> at LibriVox).
>

> hugh.
>

> On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:47 PM, zara wrote:
>

>    I just went to look something up, and was
> confronted with a series of
> "[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter
> fucking friend |" links
> from a spammer.
>
>     WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going
> around recent months
> closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have
> strong password
> protection around them.  I don't even allow people
> to log in and post
> comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is
> automation for
> creating new accounts (Including the whole email
> verification stuff) to
> post SPAM.
>
> I've hosted a bunch of wikis too, all open and never
> had a real
> problem with it. Before closing the door on anonymous
> edits, I'm sure
> we can come up with a few options.
>

> I think a case can be made for closing or leaving Wikis open, it really
> depends on the context. However, if the group decides to implement stronger
> measures with regards to user authentification, I hope you will avoid using
> CAPTCHA as this presents important obstacles for certain persons with
> disabilities.
>
> For more information on CAPTCHAs, please see this report from W3C :
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
>

> Best regards,
>

> Catherine
>

> --
> Catherine Roy, consultante
>
> www.catherine-roy.net

Richard Smith, Associate Professor School of Communication
Simon Fraser University, 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, CANADA V6B 5K3
Phone: 604 291 5116 Web: http://www.sfu.ca/~smith/

New book!: http://arago.cprost.sfu.ca/smith/mawc

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must beclosed or otherwise require verified passwords.

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Richard you are the best!

Richard Smith wrote:

> I have reverted the front page to what looks like the most recent
> "good" version of the page (v 76).
>
> I didn't do anything else.
>
> ...r
>
> On 12/11/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> the captcha/disabilities problem can be addressed by putting a clear message
>> on the captcha page to contact admin in case of visual problems. (we do this
>> at LibriVox).
>>

>> hugh.
>>

>> On Dec 11, 2006, at 1:47 PM, zara wrote:
>>

>>    I just went to look something up, and was
>> confronted with a series of
>> "[WWW] pussy sucking lesbos | [WWW] daughter
>> fucking friend |" links
>> from a spammer.
>>
>>     WIKI's can't be left open.  I've been going
>> around recent months
>> closing down WIKI's that I host that don't have
>> strong password
>> protection around them.  I don't even allow people
>> to log in and post
>> comments immediately on my Drupal sites as there is
>> automation for
>> creating new accounts (Including the whole email
>> verification stuff) to
>> post SPAM.
>>
>> I've hosted a bunch of wikis too, all open and never
>> had a real
>> problem with it. Before closing the door on anonymous
>> edits, I'm sure
>> we can come up with a few options.
>>

>> I think a case can be made for closing or leaving Wikis open, it really
>> depends on the context. However, if the group decides to implement stronger
>> measures with regards to user authentification, I hope you will avoid using
>> CAPTCHA as this presents important obstacles for certain persons with
>> disabilities.
>>
>> For more information on CAPTCHAs, please see this report from W3C :
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
>>

>> Best regards,
>>

>> Catherine
>>

>> --
>> Catherine Roy, consultante
>>
>> www.catherine-roy.net

Re: http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/ must beclosedor otherwise require verified passwords.

catherine

> the captcha/disabilities problem can be addressed by
> putting a clear message on the captcha page to
> contact admin in case of visual problems. (we do this
> at LibriVox).
>
> hugh.

I am just as sympathetic as anyone else to the issue of problems caused by spam and while the alternative you have implemented is better than no access at all so long as admins respond in a timely manner (which is certainly not the case everywhere), I must point out that it is still not ideal in terms of equal access as it places an additional burden on the user.

--
Catherine Roy, consultante

www.catherine-roy.net

On 12/11/06, zara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am just as sympathetic as anyone else to the issue of problems caused by spam and while the alternative you have implemented is better than no access at all so long as admins respond in a timely manner (which is certainly not the case everywhere), I must point out that it is still not ideal in terms of equal access as it places an additional burden on the user.

I agree with Catherine that captchas are not generally done right.
Here's what the acronym is supposed to stand for: "Completely
Automated Public Turing Test to Tell Computers and Humans Apart".

Recently, I came accross another service called Bot Bouncer [1] that
supplements the usual image with an audio recording. The services
depends on OpenID [2] but I hope, if we ever add a login to our site
it will use that as a means of dealing with decentralized identities.

[1] http://botbouncer.com/
[2] http://openid.net/

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/