end of launch day

Michael Lenczner
It took us a long time, but we finally did it.  I'm really hopeful
that (kinda long) time we spent dicussing together before we launched
will help us to keep CivicAccess a space where geeks, academics/policy
+ social planners, etc can meet and work together.

Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
getting involved on preparing the site and the message.

Hopefully 1 year from now there will be many more civic projects that
we can take a little bit of pride in having supported.

(Also - if you haven't forwarded the launch announcement to your
mailing lists / colleagues / friends which you think may be
interested, please take the time to do it now.)

Here's some websites/blogs that mentioned our launch:

http://ccablog.blogspot.com/2006/04/open-data-in-canada.html
http://ganis.spno.ca/?p=9/
http://appcoll.blogspot.com/2006/04/mtl3p-presenting-civicaccessca.html
http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/introducting-civicaccessca/
http://mappinghacks.com/2006/04/26/civic-access/
http://serendipityoucity.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/oui-accescivique-le-lancement/
http://my.opera.com/gisuser/blog/show.dml/234211
http://www.librarianactivist.org/2006/04/26/bits-of-news/
http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/2006/04/26/lancement-publique-acces-civique/
http://www.mikel.org/arch/2006/04/another_launch.html
http://mon-ile.net/carnet/blog1698.html
http://www.gisuser.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=9&id=1254#1254

Whoops!

Cory Horner
On the mailing list page:

"List subscriptions are not yet open to the public. Thankyou for your
interest."

Re: Whoops!

Michael Lenczner
patrick - can you change that?  soonish?  ;-)

(i knew we had to hit a hiccup.  fortunately, if you look at it
inpage, it actually doesn't look that noticeable)

thanks, cory.

On 4/27/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On the mailing list page:

> "List subscriptions are not yet open to the public. Thankyou for your
> interest."

Re: end of launch day

Cory Horner
Michael Lenczner wrote:

>Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
>your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
>getting involved on preparing the site and the message.

Thanks for all your hard work! If all goes well the CBC will be calling
tomorrow.

Could we put the press release up in a static place with a link from the
index page? I'm sure lots of people would like to link directly to it...

Cheers,
Cory.

Re: Whoops!

Patrick Dinnen
Duh, I forgot to remove the message when I re-enabled subscriptions.
Fixed now.

Patrick

Michael Lenczner wrote:

> patrick - can you change that?  soonish?  ;-)
>
> (i knew we had to hit a hiccup.  fortunately, if you look at it
> inpage, it actually doesn't look that noticeable)
>
> thanks, cory.
>
> On 4/27/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On the mailing list page:

>> "List subscriptions are not yet open to the public. Thankyou for your
>> interest."

Re: end of launch day

Michael Lenczner
here's the public announcement:
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Launch/PublicAnnouncement

You want Stephane to put a link from the bottom of the index page to it?

On 4/27/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Lenczner wrote:
>
> >Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
> >your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
> >getting involved on preparing the site and the message.
> >

> Thanks for all your hard work! If all goes well the CBC will be calling
> tomorrow.
>
> Could we put the press release up in a static place with a link from the
> index page? I'm sure lots of people would like to link directly to it...
>
> Cheers,
> Cory.

Re: end of launch day

Michael Lenczner
some more places that talked about our launch:

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_04_23_fosblogarchive.html#114614821078382766
http://i.never.nu/article/3071/civicaccess
http://www.hogtownconsulting.com/wordpress/archives/civicaccessca-launches
http://www.slaw.ca/2006/04/27/civic-access-acces-civique/
http://www.atypicaljoe.com/archives/2006/04/oh_canada.php

and best of all - BoingBoing took my suggestion for a post about us:
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/27/canadians_demand_acc.html

(for those of you who don't know boing boing, it's one of the top 5
blogs.  it means we just got a big amount of traffic.  like huge.)

On 4/26/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It took us a long time, but we finally did it.  I'm really hopeful
> that (kinda long) time we spent dicussing together before we launched
> will help us to keep CivicAccess a space where geeks, academics/policy
> + social planners, etc can meet and work together.
>
> Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
> your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
> getting involved on preparing the site and the message.
>
> Hopefully 1 year from now there will be many more civic projects that
> we can take a little bit of pride in having supported.
>
> (Also - if you haven't forwarded the launch announcement to your
> mailing lists / colleagues / friends which you think may be
> interested, please take the time to do it now.)
>
> Here's some websites/blogs that mentioned our launch:
>
> http://ccablog.blogspot.com/2006/04/open-data-in-canada.html
> http://ganis.spno.ca/?p=9/
> http://appcoll.blogspot.com/2006/04/mtl3p-presenting-civicaccessca.html
> http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/introducting-civicaccessca/
> http://mappinghacks.com/2006/04/26/civic-access/
> http://serendipityoucity.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/oui-accescivique-le-lancement/
> http://my.opera.com/gisuser/blog/show.dml/234211
> http://www.librarianactivist.org/2006/04/26/bits-of-news/
> http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/2006/04/26/lancement-publique-acces-civique/
> http://www.mikel.org/arch/2006/04/another_launch.html
> http://mon-ile.net/carnet/blog1698.html
> http://www.gisuser.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=9&id=1254#1254

Re: end of launch day

Jason Loughead
Glad to see such a good site.

When I have a moment I'll throw a link on plug.ca unless someone else beats me
to it.

Jason

On Thursday 27 April 2006 23:52, Michael Lenczner wrote:

> some more places that talked about our launch:
>
> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_04_23_fosblogarchive.html#114614821
>078382766 http://i.never.nu/article/3071/civicaccess
> http://www.hogtownconsulting.com/wordpress/archives/civicaccessca-launches
> http://www.slaw.ca/2006/04/27/civic-access-acces-civique/
> http://www.atypicaljoe.com/archives/2006/04/oh_canada.php
>
> and best of all - BoingBoing took my suggestion for a post about us:
> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/27/canadians_demand_acc.html
>
> (for those of you who don't know boing boing, it's one of the top 5
> blogs.  it means we just got a big amount of traffic.  like huge.)
>
> On 4/26/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > It took us a long time, but we finally did it.  I'm really hopeful
> > that (kinda long) time we spent dicussing together before we launched
> > will help us to keep CivicAccess a space where geeks, academics/policy
> > + social planners, etc can meet and work together.
> >
> > Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
> > your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
> > getting involved on preparing the site and the message.
> >
> > Hopefully 1 year from now there will be many more civic projects that
> > we can take a little bit of pride in having supported.
> >
> > (Also - if you haven't forwarded the launch announcement to your
> > mailing lists / colleagues / friends which you think may be
> > interested, please take the time to do it now.)
> >
> > Here's some websites/blogs that mentioned our launch:
> >
> > http://ccablog.blogspot.com/2006/04/open-data-in-canada.html
> > http://ganis.spno.ca/?p=9/
> > http://appcoll.blogspot.com/2006/04/mtl3p-presenting-civicaccessca.html
> > http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/introducting-civicaccessca/
> > http://mappinghacks.com/2006/04/26/civic-access/
> > http://serendipityoucity.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/oui-accescivique-le-lanc
> >ement/ http://my.opera.com/gisuser/blog/show.dml/234211
> > http://www.librarianactivist.org/2006/04/26/bits-of-news/
> > http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/2006/04/26/lancement-publique-acces-civiqu
> >e/ http://www.mikel.org/arch/2006/04/another_launch.html
> > http://mon-ile.net/carnet/blog1698.html
> > http://www.gisuser.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=9
> >&id=1254#1254

Re: end of launch day

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Wonderful!

To see the full list of places that talked about AccesCivique - Civic Access check out this spot  - http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Medias/Diffusion

Michael Lenczner wrote:
[...]

Hugh McGuire
now that the project doors are open, should civicaccess.ca "Founders"
page become a "Members/Participants" page?

Hugh.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

>   Wonderful!
>
> To see the full list of places that talked about AccesCivique - Civic
> Access check out this spot  - http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Medias/Diffusion
>
> Michael Lenczner wrote:
>> some more places that talked about our launch:
>>
>> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_04_23_fosblogarchive.html#114614821078382766
>> http://i.never.nu/article/3071/civicaccess
>> http://www.hogtownconsulting.com/wordpress/archives/civicaccessca-launches
>> http://www.slaw.ca/2006/04/27/civic-access-acces-civique/
>> http://www.atypicaljoe.com/archives/2006/04/oh_canada.php
>>
>> and best of all - BoingBoing took my suggestion for a post about us:
>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/27/canadians_demand_acc.html
>>
>> (for those of you who don't know boing boing, it's one of the top 5
>> blogs.  it means we just got a big amount of traffic.  like huge.)
>>

>> On 4/26/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> It took us a long time, but we finally did it.  I'm really hopeful
>>> that (kinda long) time we spent dicussing together before we launched
>>> will help us to keep CivicAccess a space where geeks, academics/policy
>>> + social planners, etc can meet and work together.
>>>
>>> Congrats to everyone who took part - whether it was simply lending
>>> your support, forwarding some relevant emails to the mailing list, or
>>> getting involved on preparing the site and the message.
>>>
>>> Hopefully 1 year from now there will be many more civic projects that
>>> we can take a little bit of pride in having supported.
>>>
>>> (Also - if you haven't forwarded the launch announcement to your
>>> mailing lists / colleagues / friends which you think may be
>>> interested, please take the time to do it now.)
>>>
>>> Here's some websites/blogs that mentioned our launch:
>>>
>>> http://ccablog.blogspot.com/2006/04/open-data-in-canada.html
>>> http://ganis.spno.ca/?p=9/
>>> http://appcoll.blogspot.com/2006/04/mtl3p-presenting-civicaccessca.html
>>> http://dosemagazine.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/introducting-civicaccessca/
>>> http://mappinghacks.com/2006/04/26/civic-access/
>>> http://serendipityoucity.blogsome.com/2006/04/26/oui-accescivique-le-lancement/
>>> http://my.opera.com/gisuser/blog/show.dml/234211
>>> http://www.librarianactivist.org/2006/04/26/bits-of-news/
>>> http://rym.waglo.com/wordpress/2006/04/26/lancement-publique-acces-civique/
>>> http://www.mikel.org/arch/2006/04/another_launch.html
>>> http://mon-ile.net/carnet/blog1698.html
>>> http://www.gisuser.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=9&id=1254#1254 <http://www.gisuser.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&catid=9&id=1254#1254>

Re: end of launch day

Michael Lenczner
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Participants

is this what you mean?

On 4/28/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> now that the project doors are open, should civicaccess.ca "Founders"
> page become a "Members/Participants" page?
>
> Hugh.

Re: end of launch day

Jason Birch
Hi all,

As it sits right now, my perception is that the wiki gives some
participants in civicaccess (the founders) higher status than others.  I
guess it's up to the folks who started this great idea to decide if
that's desirable or not.  I think that my perception of this was
coloured by the placement of the link to the Founders page being on the
main page, rather being on a secondary page that talks about the group's
history or structure.

OSGeo (https://www.osgeo.org/) struggled with this.   There was a need
to have a defined set of members that would be allowed to vote for the
board, but a strong desire to foster an inclusive spirit.  Status in the
community needed to be developed on the basis of merit (effort exerted
on the community's behalf) rather than when the person joined the
foundation.

What they ended up with was a structure with an elected board (which was
a requirement of the non-profit foundation) and with everyone else being
members.  Some members have the sole additional responsibility of
electing the board, but with no additional status or privileges.

Jason

On 4/28/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> now that the project doors are open, should civicaccess.ca "Founders"
> page become a "Members/Participants" page?
>
> Hugh.

Re: end of launch day

Hugh McGuire
yup! rtfm! sorry. ;-)

h.

Michael Lenczner wrote:

> http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Participants
>
> is this what you mean?
>

> On 4/28/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> now that the project doors are open, should civicaccess.ca "Founders"
>> page become a "Members/Participants" page?
>>
>> Hugh.

Launch statistics

Stephane Guidoin
FYI

Here are some statistics of the site after the launch :

Day                  Visits   Pages   Hits       Bw
24 Apr 2006    14        84        138        905.49 KB
25 Apr 2006    21        368        770       4.84 MB
26 Apr 2006    242    1402        3045    14.21 MB
27 Apr 2006    397    1888        4277    20.19 MB
28 Apr 2006    551    1907        4974    21.55 MB
29 Apr 2006    117    497        1039      5.44 MB

Referers
- http://boingboing.net    115
- http://www.boingboing.net    108
- http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/27/canadians_demand_acc.html    61
- http://www.bloglines.com/myblogs_display    32
- http://calendar.slashgeo.org/article.pl    17
- http://ccablog.blogspot.com/2006/04/open-data-in-canada.html    12
- http://www.canoe42.ca/blog.php    11
- http://slashgeo.org    11
- http://my.opera.com/gisuser/blog/show.dml/234211    10
- http://feeds.feedburner.com/boingboing/iBag    9
- http://bloglines.com/myblogs_display    9
- http://ccablog.blogspot.com    8
- http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/fosblog.html    7

And Firefox owns almost 54% of the browsers :)

Stef