Splash screen

Stephane Guidoin
FYI,

Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
http://civicaccess.ca/ :)

I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
"readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too dense)
if you find it's easier to read.

Stef

Re: Splash screen

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
That second with the  two columns is pretty swish!

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> FYI,
>
> Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
> translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
> http://civicaccess.ca/ :)
>
> I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
> http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
> "readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
> other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too dense)
> if you find it's easier to read.
>
> Stef

Re: Splash screen

Hugh McGuire
1st:  the homepage/landing page looks very good. clean & effective. Logo
nice.

2nd: OK I hate to be a broken record on this, but it's still not clear
to me on that page - and elsewhere - what civicaccess.ca wants to do.In
particular this sentence:

"If you share our values, or if you have ideas about ways to accomplish
our goals, why not join us?"

seems a bit odd since we have not defined the goals. The values,
however, seem well covered by "we believe ..."

I suggest as a goal(s):
"To promote open access to all civic data from all levels of government
in Canada; and to encourage citizen projects with that data."

This is a 2-pronged goal, which I think is OK. And for some kind of
slogan, how bout:

"It's our data. Let us use it."

Or something.

hugh.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> That second with the  two columns is pretty swish!
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
>
>>FYI,
>>
>>Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
>>translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/ :)
>>
>>I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
>>"readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
>>other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too dense)
>>if you find it's easier to read.
>>
>>Stef

Re: Name

Hugh McGuire
another suggestion:
why not change the name of the organization from:
*Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
(CALIDC)

to:
*Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

?

Hugh.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> That second with the  two columns is pretty swish!
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
>
>>FYI,
>>
>>Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
>>translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/ :)
>>
>>I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
>>"readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
>>other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too dense)
>>if you find it's easier to read.
>>
>>Stef

Re: Splash screen

Gurstein, Michael
Could I suggest one way to respond to your concerns Hugh would be to
include some examples of activities which are possible elsewhere because
of access to civic data which are impossible in Canada because of
financial and other restrictions (my example of KNLA and LILA are two
but I'm sure collectively we could come up with many more.

MG

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> That second with the  two columns is pretty swish!
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
>
>>FYI,
>>
>>Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
>>translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/ :)
>>
>>I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
>>"readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
>>other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too
dense)
>>if you find it's easier to read.
>>
>>Stef

.ca

Re: Name

Gurstein, Michael

I like this suggestion a lot!

MG

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> That second with the  two columns is pretty swish!
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
>
>>FYI,
>>
>>Patrick sent me his last version of the splash screen. I made the
>>translation for the missing french elements and here it is :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/ :)
>>
>>I also sketched an alternative design using columns :
>>http://civicaccess.ca/index-stef.php (because I don't like the
>>"readibility" of the text when using french and english one after the
>>other). I could try to do something more aesthetic (here it's too dense)
>>if you find it's easier to read.
>>
>>Stef

Re: Name

Stephane Guidoin
I agree with both remarks :

- The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.

- The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID gives
a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the signification
of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain with
CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think. We
could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let us
use it." (for example)

Stef

Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:

> another suggestion:
> why not change the name of the organization from:
> *Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
> Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
> (CALIDC)
>
> to:
> *Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page

Hugh McGuire
Here is my proposal for the intro text - might as well be on the front
page (?), but it's modified from the "about" on the wiki. For the
landing page, it would need more info. for consideration:
****

Accès Civique/Civic Access (ACCA) believes that government-collected
civic data should be free for citizens to use, and available in open
formats.

Our Objectives:
1. to encourage governments to make civic data free and available in
open formats
2. to encourage development of citizen projects using civic data

Making civic data freely available to citizens is important because:

*citizen participation in decision-making is fundamental to democracy
*the best decisions are made by informed citizens
*access to civic data is fundamental to keeping citizens informed
*civic data is gathered on behalf of citizens; it should be freely
available for them to use in constructive ways
*citizen projects using civic data will generate innovative solutions to
problems
*this is what a democracy looks like!

The role of this wiki is to complement [WWW] civicaccess-discuss to
create a community of people across Canada who share these beliefs.

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> I agree with both remarks :
>
> - The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.
>
> - The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID gives
> a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the signification
> of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain with
> CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think. We
> could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let us
> use it." (for example)
>
> Stef
>

> Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:
>

>>another suggestion:
>>why not change the name of the organization from:
>>*Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
>>Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
>>(CALIDC)
>>
>>to:
>>*Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page

Michael Lenczner
i think it's great!  thanks hugh

On 3/28/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is my proposal for the intro text - might as well be on the front
> page (?), but it's modified from the "about" on the wiki. For the
> landing page, it would need more info. for consideration:
> ****
>
> Accès Civique/Civic Access (ACCA) believes that government-collected
> civic data should be free for citizens to use, and available in open
> formats.
>
> Our Objectives:
> 1. to encourage governments to make civic data free and available in
> open formats
> 2. to encourage development of citizen projects using civic data
>
> Making civic data freely available to citizens is important because:
>
> *citizen participation in decision-making is fundamental to democracy
> *the best decisions are made by informed citizens
> *access to civic data is fundamental to keeping citizens informed
> *civic data is gathered on behalf of citizens; it should be freely
> available for them to use in constructive ways
> *citizen projects using civic data will generate innovative solutions to
> problems
> *this is what a democracy looks like!
>
> The role of this wiki is to complement [WWW] civicaccess-discuss to
> create a community of people across Canada who share these beliefs.
>

> Stephane Guidoin wrote:
> > I agree with both remarks :
> >
> > - The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.
> >
> > - The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID gives
> > a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the signification
> > of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain with
> > CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think. We
> > could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let us
> > use it." (for example)
> >
> > Stef
> >

> > Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:
> >

> >>another suggestion:
> >>why not change the name of the organization from:
> >>*Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
> >>Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
> >>(CALIDC)
> >>
> >>to:
> >>*Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Thanks Hugh;

Here are my thoughts, forgive the long windedness, to explain the significance of the choice of some of the terms used in the original 'about' text.

Notwithstanding, i think i managed to incorporated a bunch/most of your proposed text here - http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About

Why i kept some terms, am attached to others and need help with some:
  1. I found this - http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1997, and i have to say that I like seeing the full name even if it long - it is very descriptive.  I think we can use the long name in this way - Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (AccèsCivique/CivicAccess for short!).  if you google CivicAccess all kinds of stuff comes up!
  2. It is important to keep the word  - information - along with the word - data - , as sometimes data come in nicely & not so nicely packaged formats - web pages, reports, etc.
  3. Terms such as - freely available & should be free - are problematic since at the moment data and information are freely available and are free - as in freedom or foi - but they are not for free, terms such as - at no cost, gratis, etc.  are more precise.
  4. Data - are plural.
  5. The geographer in me is obsessed with scale - so when i refer to governments i use the term levels, to ensure that counties and feds are included - as sometimes it is harder to get data and information from the smallest unit of gov or the one closest to you as a citizen (e.g. where are the hazardous waste sites in my city - cities are reluctant to publish these for insurance claim issues).
  6. in the rubric of - gov, info highway, economics, life the universe and everything - it is important to keep the term  - information society - ironically canada markets itself as such and it is important to push walking the talk and using terms in the current national discourse taglines
  7. the terms - reliable, accurate, authentic and timely -  are important, scientists want to work with good quality data not outdated poorly collected cheap data, currently, there are some scientific data, maps, remote sensing images, available for free in all the ways we want them to be, but alas, they are old (e.g. air quality data for 1992 not today!) or are not accompanied by metadata that explain the fit for use and the quality of the data.  Also, these terms are important in the world of archives, currently there is discussion in canada on developing a data archive and there is ongoing research to incorporate these concepts - see the InterPares Project - http://interpares.org/ip2/ip2_domain2.cfm
  8. What to do with this sentence? - " Access to civic data is impeded by cost recovery, IP, poor or unsuitable formatting, a lack of discovery strategies, security and confidentiality. "  These are the biggies that are keeping data out of the hands of citizens, if you chat with folks, you will soon find out that they are mostly unaware of these concepts.  So i want them there somehow.  Can you help make that work hugh or anyone else?  See what I did.
  9. Keeping the word taxation is important - as once people realize they have already paid for the stuff, they get awfully incensed when they have to pay for them again.  Currently federal departments purchase data from statcan and provinces - which in effect means we pay for the same data 4 time! a rather inefficient use of tax dollars!
  10. Over sensitivity to confidentiality - need advice here, i am a firm believer in confidentiality, however oversensitivity to this concept is problematic, for example, aggregated health data is not being released, think sars and avian flu and ebola outbreaks as examples.  i do not want coacid to sound like we do not support confidentiality but want highlight that institutions are withholding critical aggregated information & data and using confidentiality as an excuse.
  11. Can you look at the 5th bullet - i would like to include your point a) innovative solutions and also b) creatively plan - cuz new interesting and creative proposals are also important!  It is also in the spirit of what was there - re-visioning which i thought was really nice.
Cheers
Tracey
ps-can still be tweaked i think.

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

[...]

How about:

Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (CivicAccess/Accès civique - for short!)

We believe that citizens need open access to civic information and data at no cost, particularly in an information society as being an engaged citizen means being an informed citizen. continue to the CivicAccess.ca site

caac is like ah - caca!
"It's our data. Let us use it." - we are allowed to use them already, but only if we pay!

Stephane Guidoin wrote:
[...]

Hugh suggestted in another email "ACCA".  i think he realized that
CAAC wouldn't work.

but I think CivicAccess works better as a short name.  or AccesCivique.

On 3/29/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  How about:
>
>  Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (CivicAccess/Accès
> civique - for short!)
>
>  We believe that citizens need open access to civic information and data at
> no cost, particularly in an information society as being an engaged citizen
> means being an informed citizen. continue to the CivicAccess.ca site
>
>  caac is like ah - caca!
>  "It's our data. Let us use it." - we are allowed to use them already, but
> only if we pay!
>

>  Stephane Guidoin wrote:
>  I agree with both remarks :
>
> - The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.
>
> - The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID
> gives
> a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the
> signification
> of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain
> with
> CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think.
> We
> could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let
> us
> use it." (for example)
>
> Stef
>

> Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:
>

>  another suggestion:
> why not change the name of the organization from:
> *Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
> Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
> (CALIDC)
>
> to:
> *Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page

Michael Lenczner
I'm glad you put these points here and I think they are all "right" -
but i think the end result is an welcome page that is too long and
overall just too complicated for the average web surfer.

I don't think the points about "re-envisoning society" and "cost
recovery" are absolutely crucial to communicate in the first 10 second
schpeil of what civicaccess is.  They are obviously important points
and they reflect that we have people on board that actually know what
they're talking about in terms of the complexity of these issues, but
I just don't think their being included allows for an easily readable
"welcome" page.

Maybe they belong in the "about" page.  but not in the welcome page - imo.

All the other changes seem good.

On 3/29/06, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Thanks Hugh;
>
>  Here are my thoughts, forgive the long windedness, to explain the
> significance of the choice of some of the terms used in the original 'about'
> text.
>
>  Notwithstanding, i think i managed to incorporated a bunch/most of your
> proposed text here - http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About
>
>  Why i kept some terms, am attached to others and need help with some:
>

> I found this - http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1997,
> and i have to say that I like seeing the full name even if it long - it is
> very descriptive.  I think we can use the long name in this way - Citizens
> for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (AccèsCivique/CivicAccess for
> short!).
agree.

>  if you google CivicAccess all kinds of stuff comes up!
> It is important to keep the word  - information - along with the word - data
> - , as sometimes data come in nicely & not so nicely packaged formats - web
> pages, reports, etc.
> Terms such as - freely available & should be free - are problematic since at
> the moment data and information are freely available and are free - as in
> freedom or foi - but they are not for free, terms such as - at no cost,
> gratis, etc.  are more precise.

if we only use the word "no cost" then we don't address whether there
are limitations on how we can use the info/data.  like how
parliamentary copyright was an excuse for the UK gov't to fight
against http://www.theyworkforyou.com .
So I guess both terms are important.  Without restriction + nocost.

> Data - are plural.
> The geographer in me is obsessed with scale - so when i refer to governments
> i use the term levels, to ensure that counties and feds are included - as
> sometimes it is harder to get data and information from the smallest unit of
> gov or the one closest to you as a citizen (e.g. where are the hazardous
> waste sites in my city - cities are reluctant to publish these for insurance
> claim issues).
> in the rubric of - gov, info highway, economics, life the universe and
> everything - it is important to keep the term  - information society -
> ironically canada markets itself as such and it is important to push walking
> the talk and using terms in the current national discourse taglines
> the terms - reliable, accurate, authentic and timely -  are important,
> scientists want to work with good quality data not outdated poorly collected
> cheap data, currently, there are some scientific data, maps, remote sensing
> images, available for free in all the ways we want them to be, but alas,
> they are old (e.g. air quality data for 1992 not today!) or are not
> accompanied by metadata that explain the fit for use and the quality of the
> data.  Also, these terms are important in the world of archives, currently
> there is discussion in canada on developing a data archive and there is
> ongoing research to incorporate these concepts - see the InterPares Project
> - http://interpares.org/ip2/ip2_domain2.cfm
> What to do with this sentence? - " Access to civic data is impeded by cost
> recovery, IP, poor or unsuitable formatting, a lack of discovery strategies,
> security and confidentiality. "  These are the biggies that are keeping data
> out of the hands of citizens, if you chat with folks, you will soon find out
> that they are mostly unaware of these concepts.  So i want them there
> somehow.  Can you help make that work hugh or anyone else?  See what I did.

I don't think they belong on the welcome page.  We're trying to have
an about page that anyone can read and see what we're about.  I think
that sentence definitely belongs somwhere important on the wiki - but
probably not on the welcome page, and only maybe on the "about" page.

> Keeping the word taxation is important - as once people realize they have
> already paid for the stuff, they get awfully incensed when they have to pay
> for them again.  Currently federal departments purchase data from statcan
> and provinces - which in effect means we pay for the same data 4 time! a
> rather inefficient use of tax dollars!
> Over sensitivity to confidentiality - need advice here, i am a firm believer
> in confidentiality, however oversensitivity to this concept is problematic,
> for example, aggregated health data is not being released, think sars and
> avian flu and ebola outbreaks as examples.  i do not want coacid to sound
> like we do not support confidentiality but want highlight that institutions
> are withholding critical aggregated information & data and using
> confidentiality as an excuse.

this doesnt' need to be on the welcome page.  it should be somewhere else.  imo.
we can explain our nuanced view after we get the average person to
easily get a sense of what we're trying to do.

> [...]
> gives
> a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the
> signification
> of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain
> with
> CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think.
> We
> could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let
> us
> use it." (for example)
>
> Stef
>

> Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:
>

>  another suggestion:
> why not change the name of the organization from:
> *Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
> Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques

kay - see
http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About#preview

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

[...]

looks good to me.  anyone else have editorial suggestions?

now we just have to fit the french version on the same page, add a few
links to key pages inside the wiki (like participants, resources,
actions) and we'll have a welcome (not a splash) page :-)

> [...]

> gives
> a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the
> signification
> of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain
> with
> CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think.
> We
> could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let
> us
> use it." (for example)
>
> Stef
>

> Selon Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]>:
>

>  another suggestion:
> why not change the name of the organization from:
> *Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
> Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques

sorry late deadlines today, so comments below might seem a bit blunt, I
don't mean to be!

>    1. I found this - http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1997, and i
>       have to say that I like seeing the full name even if it long - it
>       is very descriptive.  I think we can use the long name in this way
>       - Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data
>       (AccèsCivique/CivicAccess for short!).  if you google CivicAccess
>       all kinds of stuff comes up!
I think the name is too long (esp with french/english). no one will
remember "citizens for open acccess to civic information and data" (I
can't & I'm a founding member! I can't even remember the acronym is it
coacid? coaicd?). if you put into google:
citizens+open+access+civic+information+data you get 5,940,000 results.

civicaccess.ca is easy to remember and is what the project is about. i
think shorter is better. you don't have to google civicaccess if you can
remember civicaccess.ca.

>    2. It is important to keep the word  - information - along with the
>       word - data - , as sometimes data come in nicely & not so nicely
>       packaged formats - web pages, reports, etc.
I'm not sure I understand the distinction. is it that data is ugly &
info is clean? my understanding of the project is: give us the data &
we'll make it clean. don,t worry about spending tax money on cleaning it
(thnat would be nice, but)... we'll clean it if we have to. just give it
to us. seems to me data does the job - though maybe it,s a scary word
for some. information is defn easier. not sure on this one.

>    3. Terms such as - freely available & should be free - are
>       problematic since at the moment data and information are freely
>       available and are free - as in freedom or foi - but they are not
>       for free, terms such as - at no cost, gratis, etc.  are more
>       precise.
yes. maybe "at no cost" is better.

>    4. Data - are plural.
ok.

>    5. The geographer in me is obsessed with scale - so when i refer to
>       governments i use the term levels, to ensure that counties and
>       feds are included - as sometimes it is harder to get data and
>       information from the smallest unit of gov or the one closest to
>       you as a citizen (e.g. where are the hazardous waste sites in my
>       city - cities are reluctant to publish these for insurance claim
>       issues).
again, brevity. landing page should be as quick & clear as possible.
govt levels is an important issue that should be clarified in a bigger
document, but as a citizen/participant I am agreeing with: governemnt
should make data available. this should imply municipal, prov, fed. etc.

   6. in the rubric of - gov, info highway, economics, life the universe
>       and everything - it is important to keep the term  - information
>       society - ironically canada markets itself as such and it is
>       important to push walking the talk and using terms in the current
>       national discourse taglines
ok. but it's an imprecise & throw-away term, but may help explain what
we're going on about to average joes. but do people really still use the
term? I haven't heard it since 1998 ;)

>    7. the terms - reliable, accurate, authentic and timely -  are
>       important, scientists want to work with good quality data not
>       outdated poorly collected cheap data, currently, there are some
>       scientific data, maps, remote sensing images, available for free
>       in all the ways we want them to be, but alas, they are old (e.g.
>       air quality data for 1992 not today!) or are not accompanied by
>       metadata that explain the fit for use and the quality of the
>       data.  Also, these terms are important in the world of archives,
>       currently there is discussion in canada on developing a data
>       archive and there is ongoing research to incorporate these
>       concepts - see the InterPares Project -
>       http://interpares.org/ip2/ip2_domain2.cfm
Once again, this should be clarified in main docs, but I don't think the
landing page should deal with such important issues. they are secondary
to a commitment on the part of the govt to provide the data. this should
imply good data.

>    8. What to do with this sentence? - " Access to civic data is impeded
>       by cost recovery, IP, poor or unsuitable formatting, a lack of
>       discovery strategies, security and confidentiality. "  These are
>       the biggies that are keeping data out of the hands of citizens, if
>       you chat with folks, you will soon find out that they are mostly
>       unaware of these concepts.  So i want them there somehow.  Can you
>       help make that work hugh or anyone else?  See what I did.
does not belong in objectives...maybe there needs to be a section: "why
are we fighting and what are we fighting against." but I would suggest
that should be elsewhere. thoughts?

>    9. Keeping the word taxation is important - as once people realize
>       they have already paid for the stuff, they get awfully incensed
>       when they have to pay for them again.  Currently federal
>       departments purchase data from statcan and provinces - which in
>       effect means we pay for the same data 4 time! a rather inefficient
>       use of tax dollars!
I think it was in there, but I agree fully. It's our data & we paid for
it! this to me is the most compelling logical argument. who are you
(governments) to be charging me for stuff I've paid for. That's a very
powerful image.

>   10. Over sensitivity to confidentiality - need advice here, i am a
>       firm believer in confidentiality, however oversensitivity to this
>       concept is problematic, for example, aggregated health data is not
>       being released, think sars and avian flu and ebola outbreaks as
>       examples.  i do not want coacid to sound like we do not support
>       confidentiality but want highlight that institutions are
>       withholding critical aggregated information & data and using
>       confidentiality as an excuse.
yes must be careful here. it's a very important issue on both ends. the
important point is that we don't want info about individuals.

>   11. Can you look at the 5th bullet - i would like to include your
>       point a) innovative solutions and also b) creatively plan - cuz
>       new interesting and creative proposals are also important!  It is
>       also in the spirit of what was there - re-visioning which i
>       thought was really nice.
the problem i have with reenvisioning is that it means so many different
things to different people. why would I (a ottawa beaurocrat, minister,
or media person) support a big project to reenvision society? what does
it mean? what,s in it for me? what's in it for the country?

hugh.

> Cheers
> Tracey
> ps-can still be tweaked i think.
>

> Michael Lenczner wrote:
>
>>i think it's great!  thanks hugh
>>
>>On 3/28/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>Here is my proposal for the intro text - might as well be on the front
>>>page (?), but it's modified from the "about" on the wiki. For the
>>>landing page, it would need more info. for consideration:
>>>****
>>>
>>>Accès Civique/Civic Access (ACCA) believes that government-collected
>>>civic data should be free for citizens to use, and available in open
>>>formats.
>>>
>>>Our Objectives:
>>>1. to encourage governments to make civic data free and available in
>>>open formats
>>>2. to encourage development of citizen projects using civic data
>>>
>>>Making civic data freely available to citizens is important because:
>>>
>>>*citizen participation in decision-making is fundamental to democracy
>>>*the best decisions are made by informed citizens
>>>*access to civic data is fundamental to keeping citizens informed
>>>*civic data is gathered on behalf of citizens; it should be freely
>>>available for them to use in constructive ways
>>>*citizen projects using civic data will generate innovative solutions to
>>>problems
>>>*this is what a democracy looks like!
>>>
>>>The role of this wiki is to complement [WWW] civicaccess-discuss to
>>>create a community of people across Canada who share these beliefs.

Re: About Text/landing page

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
i incorporated the new changes - http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About

see very brief comments below

Hugh McGuire wrote:
[...]

see the compromise.

   2. It is important to keep the word  - information - along with the
      word - data - , as sometimes data come in nicely & not so nicely
      packaged formats - web pages, reports, etc.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction. is it that data is ugly &
info is clean? my understanding of the project is: give us the data &
we'll make it clean. don,t worry about spending tax money on cleaning it
(thnat would be nice, but)... we'll clean it if we have to. just give it
to us. seems to me data does the job - though maybe it,s a scary word
for some. information is defn easier. not sure on this one.

data -  is a scarry 4 letter word in some communities so information is better.  Originally the including the word data was considered troublesome!

   3. Terms such as - freely available & should be free - are
      problematic since at the moment data and information are freely
      available and are free - as in freedom or foi - but they are not
      for free, terms such as - at no cost, gratis, etc.  are more
      precise.

yes. maybe "at no cost" is better.

see change

   4. Data - are plural.

ok.

[...]

oh well!

[...]

kay - policy page - see mod

   9. Keeping the word taxation is important - as once people realize
      they have already paid for the stuff, they get awfully incensed
      when they have to pay for them again.  Currently federal
      departments purchase data from statcan and provinces - which in
      effect means we pay for the same data 4 time! a rather inefficient
      use of tax dollars!

I think it was in there, but I agree fully. It's our data & we paid for
it! this to me is the most compelling logical argument. who are you
(governments) to be charging me for stuff I've paid for. That's a very
powerful image.

done

  10. Over sensitivity to confidentiality - need advice here, i am a
      firm believer in confidentiality, however oversensitivity to this
      concept is problematic, for example, aggregated health data is not
      being released, think sars and avian flu and ebola outbreaks as
      examples.  i do not want coacid to sound like we do not support
      confidentiality but want highlight that institutions are
      withholding critical aggregated information & data and using
      confidentiality as an excuse.

yes must be careful here. it's a very important issue on both ends. the
important point is that we don't want info about individuals.

for the policy page

  11. Can you look at the 5th bullet - i would like to include your
      point a) innovative solutions and also b) creatively plan - cuz
      new interesting and creative proposals are also important!  It is
      also in the spirit of what was there - re-visioning which i
      thought was really nice.

the problem i have with reenvisioning is that it means so many different
things to different people. why would I (a ottawa beaurocrat, minister,
or media person) support a big project to reenvision society? what does
it mean? what,s in it for me? what's in it for the country?

see page
cheers
ps-good luck with the deadline!

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

I agree with both remarks :

- The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.

- The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID gives
a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the signification
of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain with
CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think. We
could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let us
use it." (for example)

Stef

Selon Hugh McGuire [hidden email] [hidden email]:

another suggestion:
why not change the name of the organization from:
*Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
(CALIDC)

to:
*Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page

Hugh McGuire
another tweak, mainly: 1st para to:

Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)
(AccèsCivique/CivicAccess for short!) believes all levels of government
should make civic information and data accessible at no cost in open
formats to their citizens. We believe this is necessary to allow
citizens to fully participate in the democractic process of an
"information society."

(that,s just a reverse of the two sentences & some editing). some other
minor changes, see:
http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About

h.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> [...]
>>>      withholding critical aggregated information & data and using
>>>      confidentiality as an excuse.
>>>

>>yes must be careful here. it's a very important issue on both ends. the
>>important point is that we don't want info about individuals.
>>

> for the policy page
>

>>>  11. Can you look at the 5th bullet - i would like to include your
>>>      point a) innovative solutions and also b) creatively plan - cuz
>>>      new interesting and creative proposals are also important!  It is
>>>      also in the spirit of what was there - re-visioning which i
>>>      thought was really nice.
>>>

>>the problem i have with reenvisioning is that it means so many different
>>things to different people. why would I (a ottawa beaurocrat, minister,
>>or media person) support a big project to reenvision society? what does
>>it mean? what,s in it for me? what's in it for the country?

beautiful!

do you edit phd dissertations ;)  ?

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

I agree with both remarks :

- The sentenses on the splash screen could be more precise about our goal.

- The more it goes, the more we use CivicAccess instead of COACID. COACID gives
a clearer definition but usually people don't really notice the signification
of words in such names/acronyms. So we may simply remove COACID and remain with
CivicAccess. Is it necessary to keep an acronym like CAAC ? I don't think. We
could just use CivicAccess + the little motto Hugh sent "It's our data. Let us
use it." (for example)

Stef

Selon Hugh McGuire [hidden email] [hidden email] [hidden email]:

another suggestion:
why not change the name of the organization from:
*Citizens for Open Access to Civic Information and Data (COACID)/
Citoyen-ne-s pour l'Accès Libre à l'Information et aux Données Civiques
(CALIDC)

to:
*Civic Access/Accès citoyen (CAAC)

Re: About Text/landing page