Re: [OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted

Daniel
Hello,

I'm sorry for cross-posting, but in this way, I'm at least sure to reach
everybody ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm overbooked theses times, but existing summaries of
the PGL "why and how" could be found on http://sig.cwriter.org/index.php
(mainly in french, but with an english translation of the license).

You can also find many interesting stuff in the PGL-Canada site:
http://cemml.carleton.ca:8080/OGUG/pgl (the OGUG set up an english
website for collaborative work upon PGL: contributing is still in my
huge to-do list ;-) )

Hope that will help.

Discussion about the license itself:

The main ideas when writing the PGL (Public Geodata License) was to:
1) reproduce the success of free software with free geodata. So we
choose to adapt a GPL-like license.
2) take care of the specificity of geodata, by specific obligations upon
metadata and traçability. To make this easy, the PGL doesn't define
metadata and traçability formats: it just make them mandatories.

Some other licenses could be used for geodata (creative commons, ...),
but none of them really take care of the importance of traçability and
metadata.
So I still think that the PGL project may be the right basis for free
geodata.

Note about the choice of a "GPL-like" license:

This point was discussed: e.g. , some peoples prefer licenses like the
BSD one.
For me, it's very important to ensure contributors that their work will
remain free in the future. I strongly think it's a great asset to gain
more and more contributors for free geodata projects.

Todo list: many work remain necessary to popularize and extend the idea
of such a free license: translations, explanations, presentations ...
Key peoples in free geodata projects (like openstreetmap) should play a
very important role, by showing the way for future licensing models. Do
not forget these two assets:
1) metadata
2) traçability

Best regards,

Daniel FAIVRE

Arnulf Christl a écrit :

> Gary Lang wrote:
>
>> This is a great discussion.
>>
>> My $0.02.
>>
>> If it turns out to be really necessary, developing an OSGeo-authored
>> license for data could be a good thing for the foundation to sponsor and
>> accomplish. If not, using an existing license would be good karma as
>> well.
>>
>> Either way, I feel that if we aren't successful with this, we're
>> probably not going to be successful on some other level with this
>> adventure.
>>
>> Can someone summarize the "why" of the PGL?
>>
>> Gary
>

> Probably this would best be done by Jo Walsh, Markus Neteler and the
> Public Geodata Committee. I would suggest to additionally invite
> Daniel Faivre to this committe as he is active promoter of the PGL.
>
> Best regards,
> Arnulf.
>
> PS:
> Jo, Daniel, you might not be able to reply to this board address as it
> is a closed list, but I am sure that Markus Neteler will be in contact
> with you anyway.

daniel.faivre.vcf (323 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: [OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Niiiiiice!

Daniel wrote:

> [...]
>>> and
>>> accomplish. If not, using an existing license would be good karma as
>>> well.
>>>
>>> Either way, I feel that if we aren't successful with this, we're
>>> probably not going to be successful on some other level with this
>>> adventure.
>>>
>>> Can someone summarize the "why" of the PGL?
>>>
>>> Gary
>>

>> Probably this would best be done by Jo Walsh, Markus Neteler and the
>> Public Geodata Committee. I would suggest to additionally invite
>> Daniel Faivre to this committe as he is active promoter of the PGL.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Arnulf.
>>
>> PS:
>> Jo, Daniel, you might not be able to reply to this board address as
>> it is a closed list, but I am sure that Markus Neteler will be in

Russell McOrmond-2
Daniel wrote:
> The main ideas when writing the PGL (Public Geodata License) was to:
> 1) reproduce the success of free software with free geodata. So we
> choose to adapt a GPL-like license.

   I assume by this you mean the "Share and Share alike" aspects, also
known as "CopyLeft".

   I am wondering how hard it has been to get community buy-in for these
clauses, and how much of a push there was for
non-Copyleft/non-Sharealike terms (IE: BSD-style ).

   I ask this as there is considerable misinformation about these
concepts, with some of the incumbents in this field using incompatible
meanings of the term "CopyLeft" to create FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and
Doubt) about Copyleft/ShareAlike clauses by falsely attributing them to
anti-creator ideologies.  I believe there will be considerable push-back
from policy people on these types of clauses because of the FUD they
have been receiving.

   I believe this will make it just that much harder to get civic
information out of governments in a way that is both fully collaborative
(peer production, peer distribution) but that also isn't seen as
subsidizing the private sector.  ShareAlike clauses are the ideal
solution to this, if ideology doesn't stand in the way.

Canadian Example of the problems in the debate:

Repositioning Creators’ Rights In The Digital World
http://creatorscopyright.ca/documents/crean-jones/rcridw.html

Susan Crean is the co-president of the "Creators Rights Alliance", while
Virginia Jones is a lawyer for Access Copyright, an old-media publisher
dominated collective society.  I've debated both in various public
events.  http://www.flora.ca/creators/
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1061

   In this document they have redefined "CopyLeft", creating a new term
"copyleftists":

"Copyleft was the result, dubbed in counter distinction to copyright
owners, or content providers, who are variously characterized as
Copyright Maximalists, Copyright warriors, and dinosaurs."

   The "CopyLeft" movement is actually a creators' right movement,
started by and for authors and other creators. We just happen to have
policy opinions different from the incumbent "copyright holder" groups
as to what the threats to creators' rights are, and what the remedies
need to be.

The two branches of the creators' rights movement.
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1963

  2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
  Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.
  http://KillBillC60.ca    Sign--> http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/

Re: [OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted

Daniel
Such debates are actually very hot in France too for music and video, as
our government want to set by law DRM strong control by the mean of
proprietary software and "boxes", completed by a strong repressive law
(DADvSI - see http://www.odebi.org for more information).

Worldwide, OGC works on a DRM spec.

We do not want to initiate another "troll-war" upon geodata ! ;-)

But geodata needs to be accurate. So it needs metadata, and changelog
(what i've called "traçability").
The main idea of the PGL is to protect both users and producers on
accuracy issues, by the mean of metadata and changelogs. This main idea
could be transposed to GPL-like licenses, such the PGL, or to BSD-style
licenses too.

PGL is not mandatory in any way, for any
producer/distributor/contributor. But it may be an asset for
"massive-cooperative GIS", doesn't it ?
Anyway, the GPL was such an asset for software.

Yours,

dF