Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Robin Millette
On 5/14/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Back in March there was a fair bit of interest in a campaign to liberate
> the Census 2006 data.
>
> To my knowledge we were distracted by the impending CivicAccess launch
> and got no further than expressions of interest.
>
> Where do we go from here?  Should this (getting the Census statistics to
> be more freely available) be our first project?

FACIL traduit un article de newsforge pour son prochain Bulletin qui
paraitra à la CLLAP :
http://wiki.facil.qc.ca/Bulletin/CanadianCensusControversy

Date 2006.05.12 13:00
Author Bruce Byfield
http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/12/144252

Si vous voulez aider à traduire quelques paragraphes, ça serait très apprécié :)

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/
Président de FACIL : http://facil.qc.ca/

Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Cory thanks for the reminder!

I would love to work on such a campaign!

I would love to have a fine letter + Census FAQ or did you know..., and perhaps an online signed petition, that we can mail to all our government representatives, at all levels?

Would anyone like to do that?
here are some fine examples - FAQ from the UK - http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/faq.php
and - http://publicgeodata.org/

Cheers
Tracey

  It would be great to Robin Millette wrote:
On 5/14/06, Cory Horner [hidden email] wrote:

Back in March there was a fair bit of interest in a campaign to liberate
the Census 2006 data.

To my knowledge we were distracted by the impending CivicAccess launch
and got no further than expressions of interest.

Where do we go from here?  Should this (getting the Census statistics to
be more freely available) be our first project?

FACIL traduit un article de newsforge pour son prochain Bulletin qui
paraitra à la CLLAP :
http://wiki.facil.qc.ca/Bulletin/CanadianCensusControversy

Date 2006.05.12 13:00
Author Bruce Byfield
http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/12/144252

Si vous voulez aider à traduire quelques paragraphes, ça serait très apprécié :)

Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Cory Horner
Robin Millette wrote:

>On 5/14/06, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Back in March there was a fair bit of interest in a campaign to liberate
>>the Census 2006 data.
>>
>>To my knowledge we were distracted by the impending CivicAccess launch
>>and got no further than expressions of interest.
>>
>>Where do we go from here?  Should this (getting the Census statistics to
>>be more freely available) be our first project?
>>

>FACIL traduit un article de newsforge pour son prochain Bulletin qui
>paraitra à la CLLAP :
>http://wiki.facil.qc.ca/Bulletin/CanadianCensusControversy
>
>Date 2006.05.12 13:00
>Author Bruce Byfield
>http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/12/144252
>
>Si vous voulez aider à traduire quelques paragraphes, ça serait très apprécié :)

Ce n'est pas connexe.  Je me référais rendant les résultats de
recensement disponibles.

J'aiderais à traduire, mais mon Français est pauvre.

Cory.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> I would love to have a fine letter + Census FAQ or did you know...,
> and perhaps an online signed petition, that we can mail to all our
> government representatives, at all levels?

How about an old-fashioned paper petition? The online ones are largely
ignored, while a paper petition could actually be tabled in the house
and get a few minutes of national attention.

Another question: if we are doing a petition, should we focus just on
the census, or do a more broad "government data should be free" policy
petition?

Cory.

Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Ok!

I started a page on the wiki with some of the ideas to date, there are some urls and a delicious link to some docs.

http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/CensusAction

Shall we begin brainstorming some ideas? Here or there?

Cheers
Tracey

Cory Horner wrote:
Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

I would love to have a fine letter + Census FAQ or did you know...,
and perhaps an online signed petition, that we can mail to all our
government representatives, at all levels?

How about an old-fashioned paper petition? The online ones are largely
ignored, while a paper petition could actually be tabled in the house
and get a few minutes of national attention.

Another question: if we are doing a petition, should we focus just on
the census, or do a more broad "government data should be free" policy
petition?

Cory.

Re: Census 2006 statistics and translation in progress

Hugh McGuire
agree paper petition & letter-writing is best option. MPs are legally
required to respond to paper letters, but not so with emails.

h.