Montreal new open data policy

Stéphane Guidoin
Dear all,

I know a new open data policy won't get much of a frenzy nowadays, but
well, I am glad to let you know Montréal just posted for comments a new
open data policy!

We've worked to push "open by default" as well as an internal directive
on data governance. I know it sounds like internal stuff, but it's a
fact that governance is frequently an issue internally, not only for
Montréal. So we gained enough support to push that governance aspect on
top of open data.

Please refer to the following page (link to english versions of the
policy and directive are at the bottom of the page)

http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/commentaires-sur-les-nouvelles-politiques-de-donnees-ouvertes/

We will accept comments for 2 weeks, after which both documents should
be adopted by the city council.

After that will come the real work: apply the new policy and directive :)

----

I don't know if it's on anybody's radar, but CivicAccess will turn 10
next month :)

----

Cheers

Stéphane

Re: Montreal new open data policy

Glen Newton
Hi Stéphane,

Is there a link to the license that has been or will be adopted?
The devil is in the details, and the license is the details that tells us how real this it.

Thanks,
Glen

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM, Stéphane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Glen,

The license remains the same: CC-BY 4.0.

Stéphane

Re: Montreal new open data policy

Gerry Tychon
Taking a quick look, I see in the Policy document:

"The city undertakes to publish, as a Data set, an inventory of Data sets in its possession, regardless of the Degree of openness, with the exception of Data sets whose publication would be regarded as a public safety issue."

This is an excellent idea. Most organizations don't even know what they have. Even attempting to create an inventory will be beneficial.

... gerry

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

I know a new open data policy won't get much of a frenzy nowadays, but well, I am glad to let you know Montréal just posted for comments a new open data policy!

We've worked to push "open by default" as well as an internal directive on data governance. I know it sounds like internal stuff, but it's a fact that governance is frequently an issue internally, not only for Montréal. So we gained enough support to push that governance aspect on top of open data.

Please refer to the following page (link to english versions of the policy and directive are at the bottom of the page)

http://donnees.ville.montreal.qc.ca/commentaires-sur-les-nouvelles-politiques-de-donnees-ouvertes/

We will accept comments for 2 weeks, after which both documents should be adopted by the city council.

After that will come the real work: apply the new policy and directive :)

----

I don't know if it's on anybody's radar, but CivicAccess will turn 10 next month :)

----

Cheers

Stéphane

Re: Montreal new open data policy

Stéphane Guidoin
> Most organizations don't even know what they have.

Indeed, and I'd really say that it's really on a "best effort" approach. It will be almost impossible to get some knowledge of every single (interesting) excel spreadsheet within the organization. But showing what we know we have is, in our view, the only approach to get an better understanding.

Stéphane

Re: Montreal new open data policy

Tracey P. Lauriault
Bravo!

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Stéphane Guidoin <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication