'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Glen Newton
I just did a google search on: open data license indemnify
and got all kinds of rather disappointing Canadian results:

Open Data Terms of Use :: City of Edmonton
Open Data Terms of Use ... Your Open License to the Datasets ... This
means that you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the City
and all of its officers ...

University of Waterloo - Open Data License Agreement v.1 ...
https://uwaterloo.ca/open-data/university-waterloo-open-data-license-agr...
University of Waterloo - Open Data License Agreement v.1. ... You
shall at all times indemnify the Information Provider, its employees,
agents, successors and ...

[PDF]Open Data License & Terms of Use - Town of Milton
www.milton.ca/en/.../Open_Data/Milton_Open_Data_Terms_V1.pdf
and promote the Town of Milton's commitments to open data and ensure
that the ... Use of the Datasets made available under this Licence
indicates Your .... This means that You agree to defend, indemnify,
and hold harmless the Town and all ...

The City of Calgary - Open Data Catalogue - Open Data ...
https://data.calgary.ca/OpenData/Pages/TermsofUse.aspx
Under the Open Data Catalogue Terms of Use you are not licensed to use
The ... To the fullest extent permitted by law, you shall indemnify
and save harmless ...

[PDF]GRCA Open Data Licence v1 - Grand River Information ...
maps.grandriver.ca/.../GRCA%20Open%20Data%20Licence%20v1.pdf
GRCA Open Data Licence v1 (“Licence”) ... You shall indemnify and save
harmless the GRCA, its directors and officers, its representatives and
employees ...

[PDF]City of Yellowknife Open Data License & Terms of Use
www.yellowknife.ca/.../City_of_Yellowknife_Open_Data_LIcence__Ter...
open data and to ensure that the recipients of these Datasets give
back to the ... Use of the Datasets made available under this Licence
indicates Your .... defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the City and
all of its agents from any and all.

City of Brampton Open Data Terms of Use
In furtherance of its commitment to its open data policies, the City
of ... When the City removes a dataset from the Open Datasets, no
further licenses will be granted .... You agree to indemnify the City
(its representatives and suppliers) and hold ...

DC's open data directive adopts the mistakes made by the ...
https://razor.occams.info/.../dcs-open-data-directive-adopts-the-mistakes-...
Jul 21, 2014 - This is what the future of open data in DC looks like
when there are ... The usual meaning of open license does not mean “no
restrictions,” however. ... of Use will include a “disclaimer of
liability or indemnification provision”.

[PDF]Open Data Agreement - Regional Municipality of Niagara
www.niagararegion.ca/government/opendata/.../open-data-agreement.pd...
data and ensure that the recipients of these datasets give back to the
... E-mail: Your open license to the datasets .... otherwise subject
to indemnification by You.

[PDF]HOW TO REDISTRIBUTE DATASETS FROM OPEN DATA ...
https://cippic.ca/.../open-licensing/How_to_Redistribute_Open_Data.pdf

:-(

Glen

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Glen Newton
"Open Data Is Not Open for Business"
http://gijn.org/2014/09/22/open-data-is-not-open-for-business/

"How on earth can Open Data restore trust in government if the
governments publishing their own Open Data won't even accept
responsibility for the quality of what they publish and ask all of us
to accept unlimited liability if they are sued?"

This is written by: "Steven Adler (@DataGov) is the chief information
strategist for IBM. He is an expert in data science and an innovator
who has developed several billion-dollar-revenue businesses in the
areas of data governance, enterprise privacy architectures, and
Internet insurance. He has advised governments and large NGOs on open
government data, data standards, privacy, regulation, and systemic
risk. He developed and leads the Open by Default Community, is
co-chair of the W3C Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group, and
co-chair of the XMILE System Dynamics Technical Committee at OASIS."

-Glen

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Jul 21, 2014 - This is what the future of open data in DC looks like
> when there are ... The usual meaning of open license does not mean “no
> restrictions,” however. ... of Use will include a “disclaimer of
> liability or indemnification provision”.
>
> [PDF]Open Data Agreement - Regional Municipality of Niagara
> www.niagararegion.ca/government/opendata/.../open-data-agreement.pd...
> data and ensure that the recipients of these datasets give back to the
> ... E-mail: Your open license to the datasets .... otherwise subject
> to indemnification by You.
>
> [PDF]HOW TO REDISTRIBUTE DATASETS FROM OPEN DATA ...
> https://cippic.ca/.../open-licensing/How_to_Redistribute_Open_Data.pdf
>

> :-(
>
> Glen

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Tracey P. Lauriault
What do you propose?

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
Department of Journalism and Communications
Suite 4110, River Building
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
1-613-520-2600 x7443
[hidden email]
@TraceyLauriault
Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Glen Newton
Work on an open (pun not intended) letter to be sent out to a number
of these jurisdictions (I found a lot more...), signed by a bunch of
us, pointing out how other major Canadian open Data licenses (GoC Open
Data License; City of Toronto; Alberta; Ontario) do not have these
problematic clauses, and explain how negatively they impact uptake by
developers and small and medium businesses that cannot take on the
risk of indemnification.

OR that I get an ice cream for each one that I find out there!

Glen

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> ... E-mail: Your open license to the datasets .... otherwise subject
>> to indemnification by You.
>>
>> [PDF]HOW TO REDISTRIBUTE DATASETS FROM OPEN DATA ...
>> https://cippic.ca/.../open-licensing/How_to_Redistribute_Open_Data.pdf
>>

>> :-(
>>
>> Glen
>

> --
> Tracey P. Lauriault
>
> Assistant Professor
> Critical Media Studies and Big Data
> Communication Studies
> Department of Journalism and Communications
> Suite 4110, River Building
> Carleton University
> 1125 Colonel By Drive
> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>
> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
> [hidden email]
> @TraceyLauriault
> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Herb Lainchbury
Agreed.  Very disappointing.

I would love to see more cities do what Kelowna is doing (PDDL), Montreal, Québec, Gatineau, Sherbrooke and the Quebec government are doing (they are adopting or have adopted CC BY 4).

Surrey has also done a great job of creating a license based on the Canadian OGL.   It's non-reusable but has passed conformance. http://opendefinition.org/licenses/

My hope was that more governments would adopt common standard licenses, or at the very least we would be able to get at least one Pan-Canadian open data license that those who don't want to use common standards could adopt.

For sure we should try to get these cities to re-think these terrible clauses.

There was an effort to create a Pan-Canadian license at one point but it never materialized and instead we continue along with these sorts of one-off custom licenses with clauses that are essentially user averse.

I personally think we really need to solve this licensing issue in Canada if we want to truly realize the benefits.  Progress is still being made but it's still on a shaky foundation.  Thankfully, the Canadian Government has made a point of creating their own license as a conformant license - which sets a great example, but I would like to see them go one step further and create a fully conformant (http://opendefinition.org/od/) Pan-Canadian license that can be used **without modifications** by any jurisdiction in Canada.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

David Eaves
I think this is much more complicated. To be making blanket statements strikes me risking fostering some poor incentives.

A. A huge amount of government data was designed for internal use, it was accepted that there will be errors in it, and they certainly weren’t intending for it to be used in an operational manner (or even potentially for much analysis). To suddenly treat it as though it will and should be perfect and/or could be kept to such as standard is, at best, challenging.

B. As a result there may actually be very, very few data sets that governments would stand behind and being willing to indemnify against for any mistake and any outcome.

C. If you say that the government must indemnify ANYONE against ALL POSSIBLE problems that arise from the data they create… expect very few data sets to be released. Creating the quality control mechanisms, the reviews for possible liabilities, etc.. would be quite onerous for every data set the government release. Even the PDDL makes it clear - you are liable for whatever happens - not the government.

I’m not sure what the right answer is. I’ve always felt there are some core data sets that are critical - census data, parcel address and mapping data (although even this is challenging), budget and finance data that governments might be willing to give blanket indemnities around. But… everything? This would probably shut down the open data movement.

Moreover, there is a ton (in fact, I believe, the vast majority) of innovation and value creation that doesn’t require blanket indemnities. Most non-profit service work, policy or general analytics work designed to gain insights or comment on public policy and government services wouldn’t care for such indemnities.

Finally, as a founder of a business that was made possible by being to innovate on open data, non of the licenses ever created a barrier for us. I’m sure this is not the case for some business models, but the barriers it creates probably impact a negligible about of the potential value that open data can create.

On Jul 15, 2015, at 8:07 PM, Herb Lainchbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gerry Tychon-2
Government data "is" used for operational purposes and analysis among other things. The government collects data to fulfill business needs. If it doesn't meet some purpose, it should not be collected.

How correct the data will be depends upon it use and whether appropriate data management practices are in place and followed. This is a significant issue in government. Everybody understands perfection may be unattainable (or not needed).

The advantage of the Quebec license approach is that it facilitates the integration of data across multiple jurisdictions and reduces or eliminates license stacking. Think Metro regions and having to deal with several licenses. The so called Pan-Canadian license is an improvement but since each administration modifies it slightly (e.g., name and jurisdiction) it effectively becomes a unique instance to each jurisdiction.

In the creation of the Pan-Canadian license I saw little (or no) discussion on balancing real risk. That is, in the real world, what is the real chance  a situation would occur that would incur real cost.

I have also not seen any discussion about developers using open data and having a terms of use or license for end users to protect developers. This might be worth a discussion.

A class of data that is important is anything related to "movement" since this touches us everyday. What facilitates getting us from point A to point B and what hinders us. Some of this data is available but in some cases not (I am thinking real time transit data for some municipalities).

... gerry

On 15/07/2015 10:15 PM, David Eaves wrote:
[...]

No one is saying it should be perfect.  And, I don't think anyone is asking for indemnity for users.

The issue is that publishers are making their own indemnity, and in some cases saying users have to protect them in case of a law suit, a condition of the license.  These licenses often come with other conditions that basically make it impractical to comply with the terms in a business context.

Anyone who works with data understands that it's not perfect.  Sometimes that's even a good idea (i.e. reduce costs when 100% accuracy isn't needed).  That's not a good reason to not release it.  If it's just plain wrong, then no one should be using it or collecting it.  If it's worth collecting then it's worth releasing.

Users just want data they can use.  The Government of Canada publishes 244,576 datasets under a conformant open license free of the extra business risks the cited licenses impose.

Again, I don't think anyone said they needed 100% accuracy or indemnity.

It is easy to use licenses that work.  It's hard to fathom why some Canadian sub-national jurisdictions continue down this road of creating custom licenses that are no doubt costly for data publishers to create, certainly costly for data consumers to understand and comply with, and simply do not scale.

We can do better.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:15 PM, David Eaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

George Sousa
Great question Tracey...

This is much more complicated than it would seem on first glance. I would start with the concepts of "Liability" and "Indemnification". In my opinion these two concepts are poorly understood. I've noticed that "Liability" is often mistakenly used interchangeably with  "Indemnification".

Glen, are you concerned about Liability clauses or Indemnification clauses (or perhaps both)?

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Okay, there are separate issues here.

One is consistency of licenses. I’m a huge fan of this and have worked really hard to try to make it happen - convening provinces and cities around the Government of Canada license. Am I frustrated that cities keep forking it, definitely and would love to find ways to stop that.

The second is this issue of indemnity. Someone in the thread linked to the IBM person’s quote about government’s “not standing behind their data” or something and there were complaints about indemnity. There was also a suggestion - in light of these comments - that PDDL was better than the GoC license, implying that PDDL offered indemnity (which it does not). All this to say that my comments were focused on that part and the complications around it.

Just don’t want to conflate these two issues.

On Jul 17, 2015, at 11:09 AM, Herb Lainchbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I am concerned with licenses being called "open" and their data called "open" when they are not.

I - and many developers and startups - will only use real open data, because we cannot afford to lose our entire lives or companies through indemnification. So these faux open data sets are not a concern of mine, because I will never use them. But their false labelling concerns me.

No company that has a lawyer will use these poisoned data sets: taking on open-ended indemnification is a no-go zone for any legal professional. Small companies and startups usually don't have lawyers and don't usually pay them to look at data licenses (especially those labelled 'open'), so will be caught by this risk without even knowing it.

Remember, the indemnification means that if someone sues the data supplier of your app, even if they do not succeed, the indemnification legally binds you to pay all of the legal costs of the supplier, all of the time their employees worked on the case, etc. No thanks.

Glen

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM, David Eaves <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Glen, I think your fight is with the Open Definition people since, as far as I know, the rights you are looking for are not part of the official definition of open as defined by them (and they are probably the most canonical source for this). Herb?

--
@daeaves
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 17, 2015, at 11:54 AM, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

"Indemnification" and "liability" contravene the 'acceptable
conditions' of 'open'[1] which are:
-Attribution
-Integrity
-Share-alike
-Notice
-Source
-Technical Restriction Prohibition
-Non-aggression

Glen

[1]http://opendefinition.org/od/

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:37 PM, George Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> ... E-mail: Your open license to the datasets .... otherwise subject
>>> to indemnification by You.
>>>
>>> [PDF]HOW TO REDISTRIBUTE DATASETS FROM OPEN DATA ...
>>> https://cippic.ca/.../open-licensing/How_to_Redistribute_Open_Data.pdf
>>>

>>> :-(
>>>
>>> Glen
>>

>> --
>> Tracey P. Lauriault
>>
>> Assistant Professor
>> Critical Media Studies and Big Data
>> Communication Studies
>> Department of Journalism and Communications
>> Suite 4110, River Building
>> Carleton University
>> 1125 Colonel By Drive
>> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>>
>> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
>> [hidden email]
>> @TraceyLauriault
>> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Hi David,

I was wrote and emailed my response not seeing your email, so it is
not a response to your email (despite it being a response to your
email) ....  :-)

Thanks,
Glen

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Glen Newton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "Indemnification" and "liability" contravene the 'acceptable
> conditions' of 'open'[1] which are:
> -Attribution
> -Integrity
> -Share-alike
> -Notice
> -Source
> -Technical Restriction Prohibition
> -Non-aggression
>
> Glen
>
> [1]http://opendefinition.org/od/
>
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 1:37 PM, George Sousa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Great question Tracey...
>>
>> This is much more complicated than it would seem on first glance. I would
>> start with the concepts of "Liability" and "Indemnification". In my opinion
>> these two concepts are poorly understood. I've noticed that "Liability" is
>> often mistakenly used interchangeably with  "Indemnification".
>>
>> Glen, are you concerned about Liability clauses or Indemnification clauses
>> (or perhaps both)?
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> What do you propose?

>>> --
>>> Tracey P. Lauriault
>>>
>>> Assistant Professor
>>> Critical Media Studies and Big Data
>>> Communication Studies
>>> Department of Journalism and Communications
>>> Suite 4110, River Building
>>> Carleton University
>>> 1125 Colonel By Drive
>>> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>>>
>>> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
>>> [hidden email]
>>> @TraceyLauriault
>>> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: 'Indemnification' clauses in "Open" data licenses

Herb Lainchbury
"the rights you are looking for are not part of the official definition of open"

Dave:  what specific rights do you think Glen is looking for that are not part of the open definition?  ( I think it's the conditions under which those rights are granted that is the issue. )