Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Cory Horner
There seems to be a little bit of confusion here... 2 different
discussions regarding the Census happening simultaneously.

1) Making Census data more freely available
2) Census 2006 on-line submission form for Linux users

We're effectively beating a dead horse on the Linux issue... People
complained, StatsCan initially denied their claims were relevant, but
soon gave in.  Horray!  Threads about 1) seem to keep getting hijacked
by 2)...  The petition proposed is related to 1)... not 2) !

The issue actually under discussion is getting the *results* from the
2006 Census out to the public -- not the generic "the population of
nunavut is x", but the raw anonymized data, with which an unknown wealth
of knowledge exists but sits unused due to the $1000 per mini-set price
tag.

Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to get
a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a responsibility
for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.

Cory.

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
HI Cory;

Did you have a link to the StatCan Act? If so can you put it on the wiki
page?

Cheers

Cory Horner wrote:

> There seems to be a little bit of confusion here... 2 different
> discussions regarding the Census happening simultaneously.
>
> 1) Making Census data more freely available
> 2) Census 2006 on-line submission form for Linux users
>
> We're effectively beating a dead horse on the Linux issue... People
> complained, StatsCan initially denied their claims were relevant, but
> soon gave in.  Horray!  Threads about 1) seem to keep getting hijacked
> by 2)...  The petition proposed is related to 1)... not 2) !
>
> The issue actually under discussion is getting the *results* from the
> 2006 Census out to the public -- not the generic "the population of
> nunavut is x", but the raw anonymized data, with which an unknown wealth
> of knowledge exists but sits unused due to the $1000 per mini-set price
> tag.
>
> Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
> recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to get
> a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a responsibility
> for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.
>
> Cory.

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Ted Hildebrandt
Here is the link to the Statistics Act

http://www.statcan.ca/english/about/statact.htm

Ted

syd

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

syd
> Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
> recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to get
> a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a responsibility
> for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.
>
> Cory.

I would support that as a very succinct and unambiguous "request for
enactment".

- Syd

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Ted Hildebrandt
Hi all,

Here is something to throw into the mix. I came across this article by
David Akin on access to data. Maybe he might be someone to contact re:
data access from StatsCan and the 2006 Census.

http://www.caj.ca/mediamag/summer2002/car.html

http://www.davidakin.com/ - Contact info.

---------------------------------------
Ted Hildebrandt
Director of Social Planning
Community Development Halton
860 Harrington Court
Burlington, Ontario  L7N 3N4 Canada
Phone: (905) 632-1975, (905) 878-0955
Fax: (905) 632-0778
Email: [hidden email]
Web: www.cdhalton.ca
     www.volunteerhalton.ca

Building Community Together

> Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
> recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to
> get a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a
> responsibility for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.
>
> Cory.

I would support that as a very succinct and unambiguous "request for
enactment".

- Syd

Invitation for David Akin

Stephane Guidoin
Hi,

I read the blog of David Akin for few weeks now and he's obviously and he has a
good knowledge of the Hill. The article Ted sent shows he has some interest in
the domain of public data access and he works for CTV and contributes
Globe&Mail.

Did anyone sent him the announcement or an invitation to join CivicAccess ?

I prepare a short invitation for him if nobody tells that an invitation was
already sent.

Stef

Selon Ted Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is something to throw into the mix. I came across this article by
> David Akin on access to data. Maybe he might be someone to contact re:
> data access from StatsCan and the 2006 Census.
>
> http://www.caj.ca/mediamag/summer2002/car.html
>
> http://www.davidakin.com/ - Contact info.

Re: Invitation for David Akin

Tracey P. Lauriault-2

Go for it steph!

Tracey P. Lauriault
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre (GCRC)
[hidden email] or [hidden email]

On May 17, Stephane Guidoin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read the blog of David Akin for few weeks now and he's obviously and he has a
> good knowledge of the Hill. The article Ted sent shows he has some interest in
> the domain of public data access and he works for CTV and contributes
> Globe&Mail.
>
> Did anyone sent him the announcement or an invitation to join CivicAccess ?
>
> I prepare a short invitation for him if nobody tells that an invitation was
> already sent.
>
> Stef
>
> Selon Ted Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Here is something to throw into the mix. I came across this article by
> > David Akin on access to data. Maybe he might be someone to contact re:
> > data access from StatsCan and the 2006 Census.
> >
> > <a
href='http://www.caj.ca/mediamag/summer2002/car.html'>http://www.caj.ca/mediamag/summer2002/car.html</a>

Re: Invitation for David Akin

Patrick Dinnen
Stephane
Great, I say go ahead and invite him. I don't remember David Akin's name
ever coming up when we were discussing who to invite and there's no
mention on the wiki, so seems safe to say he hasn't been invited.

Patrick

Stephane Guidoin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read the blog of David Akin for few weeks now and he's obviously and he has a
> good knowledge of the Hill. The article Ted sent shows he has some interest in
> the domain of public data access and he works for CTV and contributes
> Globe&Mail.
>
> Did anyone sent him the announcement or an invitation to join CivicAccess ?
>
> I prepare a short invitation for him if nobody tells that an invitation was
> already sent.
>
> Stef
>
> Selon Ted Hildebrandt <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is something to throw into the mix. I came across this article by
>> David Akin on access to data. Maybe he might be someone to contact re:
>> data access from StatsCan and the 2006 Census.
>>
>> http://www.caj.ca/mediamag/summer2002/car.html
>>
>> http://www.davidakin.com/ - Contact info.

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Olivier Charbonneau
> due to the $1000 per mini-set price tag.

Does anyone know how much revenue StatCan generates from its access licenses ?

I'm ready to bet that Access Copyright and Copiebec generate more profit from
the *interest* running on the unallocated reproduction licenses collected from
Canadian Universities, schools and gvmt :)

Maybe some of that money could go to "liberate" StatCan data and help finance
Opne Access initiatives... see:
http://www.fedcan.ca/english/advocacy/openaccess/

We should use the interest on these amounts (which sould not have been created
if the market were efficient) to fix the market's market failures(unallocated
repro fees means that we paied for content and the money has not found an
author). Besides, the idea is that if authors have an incentive to give works
away in the first place, we should use money left over to set this process up.

Any thoughts ?
Olivier

Quoting Cory Horner <[hidden email]>:

> There seems to be a little bit of confusion here... 2 different
> discussions regarding the Census happening simultaneously.
>
> 1) Making Census data more freely available
> 2) Census 2006 on-line submission form for Linux users
>
> We're effectively beating a dead horse on the Linux issue... People
> complained, StatsCan initially denied their claims were relevant, but
> soon gave in.  Horray!  Threads about 1) seem to keep getting hijacked
> by 2)...  The petition proposed is related to 1)... not 2) !
>
> The issue actually under discussion is getting the *results* from the
> 2006 Census out to the public -- not the generic "the population of
> nunavut is x", but the raw anonymized data, with which an unknown wealth
> of knowledge exists but sits unused due to the $1000 per mini-set price
> tag.
>
> Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
> recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to get
> a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a responsibility
> for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.
>
> Cory.

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Anyone have leads on how we can find out how much stat can earns from selling data?

Could we estimate if the cost of selling is more expensive than just giving it away?

TpL

Olivier Charbonneau wrote:
[...]

Just did a quick Google and here is something (although a bit dated). Need to find more current data...

http://www.usask.ca/library/gic/v2n4/mcmahon/mcmahon.html

http://www.usask.ca/library/gic/18/prophet2.html

http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/datalib/misc/nilsen.html

Ted

________________________________

Olivier Charbonneau wrote:

[...]

        Quoting Cory Horner <[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]> :

[...]

winmail.dat (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

aph809
The principal published source for this kind of information
is the Estimates, available on the Treasury Board Secretariat
site at http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/tb/estimate/estime.html.

The site seems to be down this morning.  I assume this will
be rectified shortly.

I compiled this information for the 1996 Census, relying upon
the Estimates and information obtained using the Access to Information
Act.  I have the details at home, but I have a pretty good
recollection that it runs something like this:

Cost of the 1996 census:  $310 million

Revenues from sales:  $45 million

Using the AIA, I found that only $15 million of that $45 million came from
non-governmental sources, i.e. 'new' money.  Health Canada, for example, might
pay Stat Can to put a few questions into the long form of the
Census.  Other government institutions purchase data products,
or customized tabulations.

Don't quote those numbers.  I will check on them over the weekend.

Keep in mind the added costs entailed in selling:  marketing,
monitoring security to prevent 'data leakage', etc.  If the data
is free, these costs are not incurred.

I have not compiled this data for the 2001 census, and of course
data on the 2006 census won't be available for several years.

Regards,

Andrew Hubbertz

Quoting "Tracey P. Lauriault" <[hidden email]>:

> Anyone have leads on how we can find out how much stat can earns from
> selling data?
>
> Could we estimate if the cost of selling is more expensive than just
> giving it away?
>
> TpL
>

> Olivier Charbonneau wrote:
> >> due to the $1000 per mini-set price tag.
> >>

> > Does anyone know how much revenue StatCan generates from its access
> licenses ?
> >
> > I'm ready to bet that Access Copyright and Copiebec generate more profit
> from
> > the *interest* running on the unallocated reproduction licenses collected
> from
> > Canadian Universities, schools and gvmt :)
> >
> > Maybe some of that money could go to "liberate" StatCan data and help
> finance
> > Opne Access initiatives... see:
> > http://www.fedcan.ca/english/advocacy/openaccess/
> >
> > We should use the interest on these amounts (which sould not have been
> created
> > if the market were efficient) to fix the market's market
> failures(unallocated
> > repro fees means that we paied for content and the money has not found an
> > author). Besides, the idea is that if authors have an incentive to give
> works
> > away in the first place, we should use money left over to set this process
> up.
> >
> > Any thoughts ?
> > Olivier
> >

> > Quoting Cory Horner <[hidden email]>:
> >

> >> There seems to be a little bit of confusion here... 2 different
> >> discussions regarding the Census happening simultaneously.
> >>
> >> 1) Making Census data more freely available
> >> 2) Census 2006 on-line submission form for Linux users
> >>
> >> We're effectively beating a dead horse on the Linux issue... People
> >> complained, StatsCan initially denied their claims were relevant, but
> >> soon gave in.  Horray!  Threads about 1) seem to keep getting hijacked
> >> by 2)...  The petition proposed is related to 1)... not 2) !
> >>
> >> The issue actually under discussion is getting the *results* from the
> >> 2006 Census out to the public -- not the generic "the population of
> >> nunavut is x", but the raw anonymized data, with which an unknown wealth
> >> of knowledge exists but sits unused due to the $1000 per mini-set price
> >> tag.
> >>
> >> Glancing at the Statistics Act, it seems the StatsCan policy on cost
> >> recovery has no basis in the legislation.  I'd like to see us aim to get
> >> a new section (3f) added to the act, which would add a responsibility
> >> for StatsCan to disseminate all data freely.
> >>
> >> Cory.

Andrew Hubbertz
Librarian Emeritus
University of Saskatchewan Library

613 692 2709
[hidden email]

Re: Freeing Census Data vs Linux Access

aph809
If I may respond to my own posting!

I published an article about 10 years ago, which I also put
on the internet:

Andrew Hubbertz,"Response to Bernie Gorman".

http://library.usask.ca/~hubbertz/eip96.html

This has the data I had in mind and thought I had only in some
files at home....

Here is the salient passage.  It deals with total Statistics
Canada budget, not the Census alone:

"In 1994-95, Statistics Canada had an operating budget of $319 million. Of this,
some $44 million was revenue credited to the vote (i.e. revenues generated from
sales of products and services). According to information obtained through the
Access to Information Act, these revenues may be broken down as follows:

  Federal entities             $23,902,916
        Other levels of government     4,703,482
        Other                         15,386,351

        Total                        $43,992,749

In other words, $28.6 million in sales were to other government institutions.
Revenues generated from non-governmental sources amount to $15.4 million, or
only 4.8% of the operating budget, before the costs of marketing, legal fees
associated with license agreements, etc."

Cheers,

Andrew Hubbertz

Quoting [hidden email]:

> [...]
> > from
> > > the *interest* running on the unallocated reproduction licenses collected
> > from
> > > Canadian Universities, schools and gvmt :)
> > >
> > > Maybe some of that money could go to "liberate" StatCan data and help
> > finance
> > > Opne Access initiatives... see:
> > > http://www.fedcan.ca/english/advocacy/openaccess/
> > >
> > > We should use the interest on these amounts (which sould not have been
> > created
> > > if the market were efficient) to fix the market's market
> > failures(unallocated
> > > repro fees means that we paied for content and the money has not found an
> > > author). Besides, the idea is that if authors have an incentive to give
> > works
> > > away in the first place, we should use money left over to set this

Census Action Page

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
On this lovely rainy day i updated the wiki page that contains all our
free the census gems to date.  It it turning into a nice resource,
anyone wanna start drafting a little petition texte?  We can worry about
formatting later.

here is the link - http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/CensusAction