FYI: [CRIS Info] participate in a SSRC/CRIS project

FYI: [CRIS Info] participate in a SSRC/CRIS project

Judyth Mermelstein
This may be of interest to some of you...

>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
>From: alejandra davidziuk <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [CRIS Info] participate in a SSRC/CRIS project - participe en un
> proyecto de SSRC/CRIS
>Sender: [hidden email]
>To: Lista Crisinfo <[hidden email]>
>
>Español abajo
>
>Dear CRIS community,
>
>I am sending this email to you in order to ask you for
>help to find information about people (activists,
>experts, researchers, etc), institutions, and specific
>resources (books, papers, projects, etc) on
>“communication rights,” “trade in & commodification of
>audiovisual services,” and “media concentration &
>media diversity.”
>
>As some of you may know, CRIS Campaign is supervising
>a special research that I am doing as an intern for
>the Social Science Research Council (SSRC). The
>project is called “Necessary Knowledge for a
>Democratic Public Sphere” and its goal is to
>strengthen connections between media research and
>media reform throughout the world (please read more
>about it at: www.ssrc.org/programs/media).
>
>My work is to search specific data in order to upload
>them to a database called Media Research Hub by
>August. So, I thought that many of you would like to
>be added as people interested in any of the three
>topics mentioned above and disseminate your
>institutions and works as well. I think that it is a
>good opportunity to connect local and global levels
>through SSRC, a very prestigious and well-known
>organization. If any of you wants to participate,
>please send the following information to my personal
>email ([hidden email]):
>
>Information about “people”:
>
>Email, First Name, Last Name, Gender, Nationality(s),
>Telephone, Institution, Personal Website, and Special
>Interests & Areas/Issues of Expertise
>
>Information about “institutions”:
>
>Name, Address, City, Country, Email, Contact Phone,
>Contact People, Description, Type of institution (NGO,
>company, university, etc), Institutional Website
>
>Information about “resources”:
>
>Title, Author(s), Date, Abstract, URL, Sponsored or
>Publisher, Type of resource (book, paper, project,
>statement, etc), Keywords
>
>Many thanks in advance and please, do not hesitate to
>send me an email if you need to receive more
>information or have any doubt.
>
>All best,
>Alejandra
>
>[Spanish snipped]

Judyth Mermelstein   "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC         <[hidden email]>
Canada H4C 2P9       <[hidden email]>
"A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
"Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."

Re: FYI: [CRIS Info] participate in a SSRC/CRIS project

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
nice one judith!

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: alejandra davidziuk [hidden email]
Subject: [CRIS Info] participate in a SSRC/CRIS project - participe en un
	proyecto de SSRC/CRIS
Sender: [hidden email]
To: Lista Crisinfo [hidden email]

[...]

open government (from udell)

Hugh McGuire
a podcast about opengovt, hosted by jon udell:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/06/23.html#a1475

BLURB:
Open government is the subject of this week's podcast with Dan Thomas,
who directs Washington DC's DCStat program, and Suzanne Peck, chief
technology officer for the city. I first met Dan at our SOA forum in
November. Recently he contacted me about an exciting new initiative that
soft-launched last week: live data feeds that will enable any interested
citizen to track the performance of agencies that deliver city services.

As a proof of concept, I made this quick-and-dirty mashup that projects
data about street repaving and gutter repair onto a map of DC. It's
exciting to imagine all the ChicagoCrime.org-like application these data
feeds will open up, and how much more easily they'll be accomplished
when it's not necessary to scrape websites for the data.