Community input to Canadian version of Local Open Data Census

Community input to Canadian version of Local Open Data Census

Jury Konga

Hi folks,

I was happy to announce on Friday, at GO Open Data 2015 conference #GOOD15, that we are launching an Open Knowledge Local Open Data Census in Canada.   This will allow current open data cities to compare their degree of openness and consider what additional data sets they should consider making open.  As Canada has another level of government between local and federal, we are also going to develop a census for the Provincial/Territorial level.  Discussions with the provinces have begun and we should have a parallel conversation in the community.  There is an Australian regional census and a US state level version is currently under development.  Some additional background may be found here http://census.okfn.org/

The first task is to define the top twenty data sets – the OK UK version has a set of default data sets and we need to come up with the made in Canada version of this.  Relevant datasets for an open data census could be viewed from several perspectives:

  • Transparency and Accountability;
  • Demand driven; and
  • Societal value.

Yes, I’ve chatted with Herb and the prior top 10/20 should obviously be a consideration for this project.

As I’ve been told, there is no magic formula to define what datasets we should be looking at.  As such, I’ve started a Google Group that’s open to all to contribute their thoughts and suggestions   https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/open-knowledge-canada----local-open-data-census  .  As always, I’d love to hear from anyone who would like to assist in moving this initiative forward.

Cheers

Jury Konga, Local Open Data Census Lead

Open Knowledge Canada

Tel          (905)640-7377

Cell         (647)393-8045

Twtr       @jkonga

Skype    jury.konga

www.slideshare.net/jurykonga

Stouffville, Ontario. Canada

Re: Community input to Canadian version of Local Open Data Census

Jury Konga

Thanks James – I look forward to you and your colleagues at Open North participating in this initiative.

Cheers  Jury

Re: Community input to Canadian version of Local Open Data Census

Pascal Robichaud
Will the Data Quality aspect will be taken into account?

I'm refering here to the Quebec SEAO Data, on the public contrats.

One might say that the data is open. But, when we look more closely, there is many problems that make the dataset more or less usefull....

Thus the Data Quality Index I've been working on: https://sites.google.com/site/do101mtl/seao/iqd

As far as I'm concerned, any dataset that is released on a regular basis, such as contrats, should have a quality index as a measure of the data reliability.

Pascal Robichaud
Données ouvertes 101 Mtl

[...]

Hi Pascal

This is a great question as we've had ongoing discussions within the community about data quality. "Quality" of open data together with industry specific thematic data quality  is worthy of further discussion. I'm looking forward to this discussion as input to considerations for quality metrics in the census. Thanks for starting this discussion Pascal - would love to connect.

Cheers Jury

Jury Konga

Open Knowledge Canada Ambassador
IPC "Open by Design" Ambassador

T  (905)640-7377
C (647)393-8045

@jkonga

Stouffville, Ontario
Canada

Sent from my iPhone

On May 5, 2015, at 1:18 PM, Pascal Robichaud <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Herb Lainchbury
Hey Jury,

I think this is a great initiative and applaud you for taking it on.

If we can build on the Top Ten work that this group did last year as a starting point I think that would be great.

I have joined the group.

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 7:58 AM, Jury Konga <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tel          <a href="tel:%28905%29640-7377" value="+19056407377" target="_blank">(905)640-7377

Cell         <a href="tel:%28647%29393-8045" value="+16473938045" target="_blank">(647)393-8045

Twtr       @jkonga

Skype    jury.konga

www.slideshare.net/jurykonga

Stouffville, Ontario. Canada

Herb Lainchbury, Dynamic Solutions
250.704.6154

Re: Community input to Canadian version of Local Open Data Census

Jury Konga
Hey Herb,

Awesome - thanks for the sentiment and look forward to having you participate in this initiative!  Please join us in the Google group.