[CivicAccess-Discuss] COVID Schemas and/or knowledge graphs?

[CivicAccess-Discuss] COVID Schemas and/or knowledge graphs?

CivicAccess mailing list

Greetings all;

Would any of you know if those involved in Search Optimization Engines in Canada are using COVID Schemas and/or knowledge graphs?

http://blog.schema.org/2020/03/schema-for-coronavirus-special.html

https://www.meetup.com/Knowledge-Graphs-Meetup/events/269710690/

Do you know whom I might be able to ask?

Cheerio

Tracey

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor, Critical Media and Big Data

Re: COVID Schemas and/or knowledge graphs?

CivicAccess mailing list
Hi Tracey et al.

Alright - here's my attempt at a response. I know that you know most or all of these things, Tracey, but I'll try to explain them at the same time for others who might not be up to date. Also, TLDR, I don't know the answer you're looking for. :(

It's pretty clear you mean Search Engine Optimization (not Search Optimization Engines), but tell me if you meant something different.
When one publishes Linked Data, different actors, like search engines, will consume it and they will often handle it differently than regular (non Linked Data) content. An example of how content can be treated differently is the knowledge panels that turn up in Google if you search for certain popular topics that have Wikipedia pages.  Another example of how an actor would treat it differently is that Alexa uses Linked Data to be able to answer questions.

So, either you're A) asking if people with Canadian web sites are taking advantage of this new Covid Linked Data schema by publishing their content to that schema, knowing that search engines will consume this special content.  Or you're asking B) specifically if there is awareness of this opportunity in the SEO community in Canada, and if they are helping their clients take advantage of this new schema.

To find out the first, because this is Linked Data, you could probably find the limited number of people who are publishing this Linked Data and then Google stalk them to find out who they are and if they are based here in Canada. ( I would have to check out how to do this, because I'm not the technical person in my company, but I can imagine a couple ways of doing it).
To find out the second, you would have to go to places where SEO experts hang out and then ask them. I found a small group of Canadian SEO experts on LinkedIn, but you could probably find something better with a little more time.

My company is super excited about the prospect of helping organizations publish Linked Data for exactly these purposes. Here's two examples we find inspiring - both done by the NHS.

Hopefully that's useful. Also, to be clear, this is one of the ways that open data can actually be useful. Cuz you don't have to go collect it from some open data portal.

Cheers,
Mike

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 11:18 AM Tracey P. Lauriault via CivicAccess-Discuss <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tracy,

I use Schema markup and Google's reference guide to improve the quality of information on websites. In particular, to clarify the status of events (canceled, postponed, online, confirmed). The Schema vocabulary, as well as the (very fluctuating) instructions of the search engines that apply to it, are little known or very poorly exploited in Canada.

However, there are experts in the USA and in Europe who master SEO, Schema markup and linked data. Among these networks, there is a group that works on linking data to build knowledge graphs in order to share knowledge (data sets, research articles) on COVID with Schema. This, less for SEO purposes, than to promote their interoperability and accessibility outside the technical constraints of information systems. It is important to know that each search engine has rules (declared or not) of treatment for Schema types, so integrating Schema markup under the form of JSON-LD code on web pages may have no effects on SEO.

Here are some accounts to follow on Twitter:
Kingsley Uyi Idehen (@kidehen)

I hope this will be of any help.
Josée

Le mer. 3 juin 2020, à 11 h 18, Tracey P. Lauriault via CivicAccess-Discuss <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Greetings all;

Would any of you know if those involved in Search Optimization Engines in Canada are using COVID Schemas and/or knowledge graphs?

http://blog.schema.org/2020/03/schema-for-coronavirus-special.html

https://www.meetup.com/Knowledge-Graphs-Meetup/events/269710690/

Do you know whom I might be able to ask?

Cheerio

Tracey

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor, Critical Media and Big Data
Communication and Media Studies
School of Journalism and Communication
Carleton University
1-613-520-2600 x7443