visiblepolitics.org is live

Hugh McGuire
Throwing caution to the wind. http://visiblepolitics.org is live.

It is a TOTALLY open project, so please jump in and shake it up.
Totally open, except I guess for the main objective:

"VisiblePolitics is a project to create a complete listing of
Canadian federal politicians (elected and running for office) parties
and ridings, with information about policies, funding, voting
records, public statements, press, among other things.
VisiblePolitics is a source of information; it is NOT a source of, or
forum for advocacy of any kind."

HOW YOU CAN HELP:
1. Find out who your Member of Parliament is
2. Visit the site: http://visiblepolitics.org
3. Add some info about your MP (you can copy some stuff from
Wikipedia, some from the Canadian Parliament website, and ideally
from the mess that is Elections Canada’s financial info site).

Note that info should be lean and objective, and not editorial.

OR:
4. Help with layout, wikiness, project direction, and tools (RSS
aggregator in the wiki!!)

Re: visiblepolitics.org is live

Cory Horner
Let me know if you want anything from howdtheyvote...  we are preparing
to update in the next few days (database is complete, just hooking
together the front-end).

Cheers,
Cory.

Hugh McGuire wrote:

> Throwing caution to the wind. http://visiblepolitics.org is live.
>
> It is a TOTALLY open project, so please jump in and shake it up.
> Totally open, except I guess for the main objective:
>
> "VisiblePolitics is a project to create a complete listing of
> Canadian federal politicians (elected and running for office) parties
> and ridings, with information about policies, funding, voting
> records, public statements, press, among other things.
> VisiblePolitics is a source of information; it is NOT a source of, or
> forum for advocacy of any kind."
>
> HOW YOU CAN HELP:
> 1. Find out who your Member of Parliament is
> 2. Visit the site: http://visiblepolitics.org
> 3. Add some info about your MP (you can copy some stuff from
> Wikipedia, some from the Canadian Parliament website, and ideally
> from the mess that is Elections Canada’s financial info site).
>
> Note that info should be lean and objective, and not editorial.
>
> OR:
> 4. Help with layout, wikiness, project direction, and tools (RSS
> aggregator in the wiki!!)

Re: visiblepolitics.org is live

Hugh McGuire
the main thing I need is someone to help install this on mediawiki:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/XFeed_-_RSS_Feed_Aggregator

so that i can display a feed from howdtheyvote (and other sources)
for each politician.

h.

On Feb 2, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Cory Horner wrote:

> Let me know if you want anything from howdtheyvote...  we are
> preparing
> to update in the next few days (database is complete, just hooking
> together the front-end).
>
> Cheers,
> Cory.
>
> Hugh McGuire wrote:
>> Throwing caution to the wind. http://visiblepolitics.org is live.
>>
>> It is a TOTALLY open project, so please jump in and shake it up.
>> Totally open, except I guess for the main objective:
>>
>> "VisiblePolitics is a project to create a complete listing of
>> Canadian federal politicians (elected and running for office) parties
>> and ridings, with information about policies, funding, voting
>> records, public statements, press, among other things.
>> VisiblePolitics is a source of information; it is NOT a source of, or
>> forum for advocacy of any kind."
>>
>> HOW YOU CAN HELP:
>> 1. Find out who your Member of Parliament is
>> 2. Visit the site: http://visiblepolitics.org
>> 3. Add some info about your MP (you can copy some stuff from
>> Wikipedia, some from the Canadian Parliament website, and ideally
>> from the mess that is Elections Canada’s financial info site).
>>
>> Note that info should be lean and objective, and not editorial.
>>
>> OR:
>> 4. Help with layout, wikiness, project direction, and tools (RSS
>> aggregator in the wiki!!)

>> discuss_civicaccess.ca

> discuss_civicaccess.ca

Re: visiblepolitics.org is live

Stéphane Zagar
Cory : I just hope there won't be another general election soon :p

On 2/2/07, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
the main thing I need is someone to help install this on mediawiki:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/XFeed_-_RSS_Feed_Aggregator

so that i can display a feed from howdtheyvote (and other sources)
for each politician.

h.

On Feb 2, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Cory Horner wrote:

> Let me know if you want anything from howdtheyvote...  we are
> preparing
> to update in the next few days (database is complete, just hooking
> together the front-end).
>
> Cheers,
> Cory.
>
> Hugh McGuire wrote:
>> Throwing caution to the wind. http://visiblepolitics.org is live.
>>
>> It is a TOTALLY open project, so please jump in and shake it up.
>> Totally open, except I guess for the main objective:
>>
>> "VisiblePolitics is a project to create a complete listing of
>> Canadian federal politicians (elected and running for office) parties
>> and ridings, with information about policies, funding, voting
>> records, public statements, press, among other things.
>> VisiblePolitics is a source of information; it is NOT a source of, or
>> forum for advocacy of any kind."
>>
>> HOW YOU CAN HELP:
>> 1. Find out who your Member of Parliament is
>> 2. Visit the site: http://visiblepolitics.org
>> 3. Add some info about your MP (you can copy some stuff from
>> Wikipedia, some from the Canadian Parliament website, and ideally
>> from the mess that is Elections Canada's financial info site).
>>
>> Note that info should be lean and objective, and not editorial.
>>
>> OR:
>> 4. Help with layout, wikiness, project direction, and tools (RSS
>> aggregator in the wiki!!)

>> discuss_civicaccess.ca

Re: visiblepolitics.org is live

Robin Millette
On 2/2/07, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Throwing caution to the wind. http://visiblepolitics.org is live.

Ah, this is the guy I was looking for, he's been coding scrapers for a
few years:
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/software/skippy.php#hansard

Re: visiblepolitics.org is live

Russell McOrmond-2
Cory Horner wrote:
> Let me know if you want anything from howdtheyvote...  we are preparing
> to update in the next few days (database is complete, just hooking
> together the front-end).

   This is great to hear!  I find your site quite valuable, but it
hasn't had new Hansard reference since 2005.   I find being able to find
when a specific MP has spoken in parliament to be very valuable.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"