stats stuff

Hugh McGuire

collected from various sources, lets you fiddle with them:

http://www.nationmaster.com/

Re: stats stuff

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Nice find hugh!

They tend to use stats from quite mainstream sources.  These are very
respectable organizations, however they are not the only world view.

I sent them to look at:

The World Guide: An alternative reference to the countries of our planet
by the New Internationalist (http://www.newint.org/shop/nz/wg0506.htm).
I hope they follow-up on them!  As i think it would be a good complement
to what they have.

It would also be great to have that guide in a more useable format
somewhere!

Cheers

Hugh McGuire wrote:

> collected from various sources, lets you fiddle with them:
>
> http://www.nationmaster.com/

Re: stats stuff

Russell McOrmond-2

While not statistics, a tool I find very interesting for visualization
is worldmapper.org

   For instance, if you want to understand what the so-called "Copyright
Debate" is really about, you only need to look at:

http://www.worldmapper.org/display.php?selected=168

"Over half (53%) of the value of all royalty and license fees paid in
2002 were received in one territory: the United States. Large
proportions of these fees were also received in Japan and the United
Kingdom."

   Similar streatchings of the map exist for other statistics.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"