our name in french

Michael Lenczner
are we still positive about "civique" instead of "civil"?

Because a french prof told me the opposite a couple of weeks ago.

Just double checking.

Re: our name in french

Daniel Haran
Civic and civique are pretty much equivalent. This Quebec dictionary
cautions that the English can have the connotation of being muncipal,
but that's not a meaning I was ever exposed to. Notice how harsh they
are though? To confuse those meanings is a "barbarism". Ouch!

(But hey, kudos to the Quebec government for putting their work
online. A nice example of what we want)

http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btml/fra/r_motclef/index1024_1.asp

  civique adj.

Équivalent(s)
English civic

Définition :
Relatif au citoyen.

. Note(s) :
L'adjectif civique signifie « relatif au citoyen considéré par rapport
L'adjectif anglais civic, qui a les mêmes sens, possède aussi celui de
« municipal » et c'est commettre un barbarisme que de prêter cette
acception à civique.

On 2/12/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> are we still positive about "civique" instead of "civil"?
>
> Because a french prof told me the opposite a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Just double checking.

Re: our name in french

Daniel
Hello,

In french (from france), "civique" is commonly used for citizen's
concern, like in "droits civiques", (civic rights).

"Civil" is generally used as an opposite to "military", in expressions
like "dans le civil" (in the "civil" life).

Yours,

dF

Daniel Haran a écrit :

>Civic and civique are pretty much equivalent. This Quebec dictionary
>cautions that the English can have the connotation of being muncipal,
>but that's not a meaning I was ever exposed to. Notice how harsh they
>are though? To confuse those meanings is a "barbarism". Ouch!
>
>(But hey, kudos to the Quebec government for putting their work
>online. A nice example of what we want)
>
>http://www.granddictionnaire.com/btml/fra/r_motclef/index1024_1.asp
>
>  civique adj.
>
>Équivalent(s)
>English civic
>
>Définition :
>Relatif au citoyen.
>
>. Note(s) :
>L'adjectif civique signifie « relatif au citoyen considéré par rapport
>L'adjectif anglais civic, qui a les mêmes sens, possède aussi celui de
>« municipal » et c'est commettre un barbarisme que de prêter cette
>acception à civique.
>
>On 2/12/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>are we still positive about "civique" instead of "civil"?
>>
>>Because a french prof told me the opposite a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>Just double checking.

daniel.faivre.vcf (323 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: our name in french

Stephane Guidoin
Even in dictionaries, civil and civique are just said as "related to citizen". But I agree with Daniel.

"Civil" is more about the action of the citizen : guerre civile (civil war) and things related to the citizen status (état civil, année civile, etc.)

"Civique" is about right : Devoirs civiques (usually voting), instruction civique (learning of the gov functions), etc.

So I'd say "civique". When you say that a french prof told you civil, is he as prof of french or a francophone prof of smoething else ? I also think that civique is less used here (in Québec) than in France. But the meaning of civique remain the same.

Stéphane

Daniel Haran wrote:
Civic and civique are pretty much equivalent.

On 2/12/06, Michael Lenczner [hidden email] wrote:

are we still positive about "civique" instead of "civil"?

Because a french prof told me the opposite a couple of weeks ago.

Just double checking.

Re: our name in french

Michael Lenczner
good.  thanks.  I was just double checking.