open data ranking

Gerry Tychon-2

Apparently, Edmonton has been ranked #1 in open data

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmontons-open-data-initiatives-rank-no-1-among-34-canadian-cities

by

Public Sector Digest (I am not familiar with this) and
Canada’s Open Data Exchange [ https://www.communitech.ca/ ] (I never heard of them).

Does anyone have more insight on this?

... gerry

Re: open data ranking

Tracey P. Lauriault
Hi Gerry;

Canada’s Open Data Exchange is a quasi arms length gov/incubator innovation hub / group set up at U waterloo. That is all I know!

As for the other's I do not know who they are!

These indicator systems are not widely known.

Cheers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Gerry Tychon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apparently, Edmonton has been ranked #1 in open data

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/edmontons-open-data-initiatives-rank-no-1-among-34-canadian-cities

by

Public Sector Digest (I am not familiar with this) and
Canada’s Open Data Exchange [ https://www.communitech.ca/ ] (I never heard of them).

Does anyone have more insight on this?

... gerry

Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication
Suite 4110, River Building
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
1-613-520-2600 x7443
[hidden email]
@TraceyLauriault
Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: open data ranking

Nigel Waters

Does anyone have a link to the original study showing the data for the 34 municipalities and 107 variables. It does not appear to be in the Edmonton Journal link shown below. Ironic that this should not be easy to find....

And I am not surprised that Edmonton beat Calgary having had in the past to FOIP the City of Calgary on traffic accident data and never, ever being able to get them to release any flood depth data from the 2013 flood. We then went ahead and published anyway -- some of our key information coming from a US source....

Cheers,

Nigel Waters

Re: open data ranking

James McKinney-4
Canada’s Open Data Exchange was in Canada’s 2014 budget, see http://actionplan.gc.ca/en/initiative/open-data-institute The government’s expectations of ODX are somewhat summarized here: http://open.canada.ca/en/commitment/03-canadian-open-data-exchange-odx

It only really started operations in the fall. Does anyone have a better URL than the following? They seem to have no web presence. https://www.communitech.ca/how-we-help/innovation/open-data/

Here’s the link on Public Sector Digest: https://www.publicsectordigest.com/articles/view/1522

I’ve contacted the contact on that page to get more information, as there seems to be no publicly available information on the index, its methodology, benchmarking tool, etc. I’m expecting a call later today.

James

On Jan 14, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Nigel Waters <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does anyone have a link to the original study showing the data for the 34 municipalities and 107 variables. It does not appear to be in the Edmonton Journal link shown below. Ironic that this should not be easy to find....
And I am not surprised that Edmonton beat Calgary having had in the past to FOIP the City of Calgary on traffic accident data and never, ever being able to get them to release any flood depth data from the 2013 flood. We then went ahead and published anyway -- some of our key information coming from a US source....
Cheers,
Nigel Waters

Re: open data ranking

Michael Easter

hello everyone,

re: Open Cities Index 2015. I'm surprised that licensing isn't mentioned. As a sanity-check, is it fair to suggest that the data set score should have another variable, such as:

" 6. Is the data explicitly licensed for re-use, for both commercial and non-commercial usage? "

I ask because, in our informal advocacy efforts here on Prince Edward Island, we claim it is a vital component (re: Sir Tim Berners-Lee's 5 stars [1])

thanks,
Michael

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM, James McKinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

----------------------
Michael Easter
mobile: 902-394-7559

@codetojoy - programming, tech
@30_for_60 - Open Data, PEI

[...]

mobile: <a href="tel:902-394-7559" value="+19023947559" target="_blank">902-394-7559

@codetojoy - programming, tech
@30_for_60 - Open Data, PEI

Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication
Suite 4110, River Building
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
1-613-520-2600 x7443
[hidden email]
@TraceyLauriault
Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: open data ranking

Gerry Tychon-2
Thanks to everybody who contributed comments re the Open Data Exchange and the open data rankings.

I have to say, I found little real content in any of the news stories or any website. Ironic, of course, that the rankings and detailed methodology are not available as open data. I would imagine the authors of the report are aware of this discussion group and could comment if they wished.

As a reminder, International Open Data Day will be on Saturday, 5 March 2016, this year. It is the day closest to the previous date and had the least amount of conflicts world-wide. I am hoping for a re-energized open data push.

... gerry