open data foundation + national infrastructure for community statistics + Neighbourhood Indicators Partnership

open data foundation + national infrastructure for community statistics + Neighbourhood Indicators Partnership

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
The url's below are associated with some thoughts i posted related to
data quality, reliability and trust and Gabe (civicaccess) replied with
"In general, I'd like to see more mashup projects offer direct access to
their data/sources.  If they're sending that data onto a (Google) map,
it's already in easily-sharable XML, so provided it's
freely-distributable, it's just an issue of education/motivation."  And
a talk with Warren (civicaccess) about the community data websites he
his producing in Vancouver.

The following 3 initiatives seem to be getting at those issues not
entirely but getting at it.  I found all of these while looking at the
program for IASSIST (International Association for Social Science
Information Services & Technology) conference coming up in Montreal May
14-16, 2007 - (http://www.edrs.mcgill.ca/IASSIST2007/program.htm). If
anyone is going to this conference i would luv to touch base with them
to get some of the papers.  I have them tagged w/civicaccess and coacid
on delicious.

I know one of the founders of this one and will try and go for coffee
with him in Ottawa.

    * The *Open Data Foundation (ODaF)* is a non-profit organization
      dedicated to the adoption of global metadata standards and the
      development of open-source solutions promoting the use of
      statistical data. We focus on improving data and metadata
      accessibility and overall quality in support of research, policy
      making, and transparency, in the fields of economics, finance,
      healthcare, education, labor, social science, technology,
      agriculture, development, and the environment. While we see this
      information as being primarily statistical in nature, it is
      understood that it can be drawn from a wide variety of sources and
      therefore may include information not traditionally seen as such.

http://www.opendatafoundation.org/index.php

    * *National Infrastructure for Community Statistics* is to
      facilitate access to community-level statistics and data sets from
      multiple sources at all levels of geography across the country to
      enable more effective, efficient public policy decision making in
      support of community transformation. In doing so, NICS aims to
      stimulate the development of local virtual data warehouses by
      encouraging the linking and integration of numerous national,
      regional, state, and local data exchanges that now exist or are
      being developed, including those in the fields of criminal
      justice, health, environment, environmental health, and geographic
      information into a national network.

http://nicsweb.org/aboutus.htm +
http://www.brookings.edu/metro/umi/collaboratory/nics.htm

    * *National Neighbourhood Indicators Partnership* is a collaborative
      effort by the Urban Institute and local partners to further the
      development and use of neighborhood information systems in local
      policymaking and community building.

http://www2.urban.org/nnip/publications.html