neat crime website by winnipeg police

Michael Lenczner
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this project.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/crimestat/

Kinda neat.

I added it to the wiki -
http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/Saskatchewan/Winnipeg

And great text.  "Accountability" and "Transparency" over and over again.

Too bad the archives are "coming soon". :-(

"The philosophy is built on four principles:

   1. The gathering and dissemination of accurate and timely information
   2. Rapid deployment of resources
   3. Effective tactics
   4. Relentless follow-up and assessment

CrimeStat is similar in many ways to the CompStat model of crime
reduction which has been highly effective in cities throughout the
United States, including Minneapolis, Washington and New York, and at
least one city in Canada (Vancouver). While each jurisdiction's
version of CompStat-type crime management may differ slightly, all are
based on the four principles listed above.

The first principle of the CrimeStat philosophy promotes
accountability and transparency. The statistics updated weekly on this
Website reflect our commitment to providing up-to-date information,
and acting on crime trends identified in the analysis of that
information.

The statistics are a summary of information gathered directly from the
Winnipeg Police Service Records Management System (RMS) by our Crime
Analysis Unit. Please see the sections under the banner "About
CrimeStat" for important information on interpreting and using the
data.

The Crime Analysis Unit's other role is to provide detailed
information and analysis which is used in weekly Uniform Patrol
Division Commander meetings. Commanders discuss crime occurrences at
these meetings, and working together, develop strategies for rapid
response plans and effective tactics to bring about permanent change.

CrimeStat also provides accountability, in two ways. Firstly, the
provision of statistics on crime reflects openness and accountability,
by showing where crime is occurring in our City. Secondly, Commanders'
meetings will be the forum where emerging crime trends are discussed
and Commanders work collectively to develop strategies that their
members will use in making plans for quick deployment and effective
tactics to solve those crime problems. Reduction of crime is the goal,
and citizens will be able to monitor changes in crime trends over
time.

But CrimeStat doesn't end there. Ongoing assessment and follow-up in
subsequent, bi-weekly meetings with the Executive Management Team will
review updated data and gauge whether actions have had the desired
outcomes of reducing and preventing crime. If more action is needed on
a particular problem, adjustments are recommended and additional
resources may be called in from other areas to assist in solving the
problem, and not just shifting it to another area.

In addition, CrimeStat is a link to crime prevention resources. The
Winnipeg Police Service provides a wealth of information about crime
prevention programs through its Website. By being well informed on
crime prevention initiatives that citizens can put in place
themselves, we can all play important roles in crime prevention and
reduction."

Re: neat crime website by winnipeg police

Shawn Wallbridge
I mentioned it last week. And Winnipeg is in Manitoba, not
Saskatchewan ;)

shawn

On 2/5/07, Shawn Wallbridge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I mentioned it last week.
strike one.

And Winnipeg is in Manitoba, not
> Saskatchewan ;)