name and about

Michael Lenczner
hey,

1) why is the mailing list called "CivicAccess-discuss"?  It's no big
deal - but if we're talking about keeping this for ever and ever it
would be much nicer just to have something shorter - something like
[hidden email].  or am i just crazy?

2) I mucked around the "about" page.

Before it said:

"This wiki aims to build a culture of finding, accessing and sharing
free civic data because:
*yadda
*yadda
*yadda"

I got rid of the reference to the wiki.  It's important to me that
what is important is not the wiki.  it is the mailing list.  To start
off with the wiki is just a pantry to store stuff in that comes up on
the mailing list.  We are not trying to create a wikipedia of
civicinfo in canada.  That is relatively simple to do and doesn't
actually encourage people to take these matters into their own hands.
We are trying to get people fired up to do stuff in their local
corners of canada.  Create a vibrant community of people interested in
this stuff.

So i replaced it with:

"We are starting Citizens for Open Access to Civic Data out of a
believe that open civic information is a necessary part of being an
engaged citizen. We want to encourage more civic information to be
open and all levels of government and civil service to use new online
technologies to allow citizens to more easily access that public
information.

The role of this website is to play a supporting function to the COACI
mailing list in creating a community of people across Canada who share
these values and want to work in different ways to increase both civic
information and easy access to that information.

We're trying to encourage a culture of finding, accessing and sharing
free civic data because:
*yadda
*yadda
*yadda"

That probably needs some editing - but it takes the focus off of the
wiki and puts it on to the goal of creating a community of practice
across canada.

i'll keep working. . .

Re: name and about

Patrick Dinnen
I went to make a couple of tweaks, but both the wiki FrontPage and About
pages are 'immutable'. Am I missing something?

Patrick