montréal meetup (et svp d'excuser mon français écrit!)

montréal meetup (et svp d'excuser mon français écrit!)

Michael Lenczner
Daniel (Haran) est içi à Montréal alors j'ai pensée que nous devrions
profiter pour faire un premiére Montréal Meetup.  Si vous étes
interéssés, svp de me contacter hor-liste et on va trouver un temp on
commune pour se reunir.  Je sais que tout-le-monde est pressé, alors
j'imagine qu'on va seulement étre 4-5 persons, même si on est
plusieres à Montreal.

The location is definitely going to be laika, though ;-)

And wish me luck on my french exam tomorrow (2pm).  It seems that I'm
going to need it.

(J'espère que nous aurons beaucoup de discussion en français sur cette
liste. Particulièrement si si le sujet est lié au Québec.)

mike

Re: montréal meetup (et svp d'excuser mon français écrit!)

Michael Lenczner
1) most importantly - je croit que j'ai réussi à mon examen français.
:-)  Seulement parce que c'est un cours a un niveau très bas.

2) Le meetup va etre mercredi entre 17hrs-19hrs.  On va etre au moins
6:  Daniel, Robin, Hugh, Dory, Stephane (G), Judyth et moi.

L'endroit c'est Laika - 4040 St. Laurent.  Coin Duluth.

http://www.laikamontreal.com/

If you need to call for any reason, my cell is 514-708-5112.

mike

On 4/30/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel (Haran) est içi à Montréal alors j'ai pensée que nous devrions
> profiter pour faire un premiére Montréal Meetup.  Si vous étes
> interéssés, svp de me contacter hor-liste et on va trouver un temp on
> commune pour se reunir.  Je sais que tout-le-monde est pressé, alors
> j'imagine qu'on va seulement étre 4-5 persons, même si on est
> plusieres à Montreal.
>
> The location is definitely going to be laika, though ;-)
>
> And wish me luck on my french exam tomorrow (2pm).  It seems that I'm
> going to need it.
>
> (J'espère que nous aurons beaucoup de discussion en français sur cette
> liste. Particulièrement si si le sujet est lié au Québec.)
>
> mike

Qui êtes-vous ? Introduce yourself !

Stephane Guidoin
I had a quick look at the mailing list subscribers and surprise : there's almost
100 members ! That's huge :)

As a first step it'd be interesting to have short presentation of who is
interested in sharing why you are here, what's your interest in civic data
access, etc. Don't be shy : we are here to interact, exchange and create in
order to "free" civic data.

You can also add youself in the participant list in the wiki :
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Participants (see there after for a -very- brief
explanation of the wiki use.) Since sunday, the wiki can be modified by anybody
(without login).

A short reminder concerning the mailing list : some people receive a daily
digest (concatenation of all the messages of the day). In order to ease the
reading of daily digest, it's appreciated that you
limit the trail of the previous mail you respond to.

And excuse my english... I come from a country where we tend to think that
french is the only language on Earth ;)

*** Use of the wiki - add youself in the participant list :
- go to http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Participants
- click on "edit" in the right frame
- Add your name with the following construction FirstnameLastname (without any
space, first letter of first and lastname capitalized, like this you create a
wiki word that will be a link after you save this
page)
- click on the button save.

Then you can populate your personnal page where you can introduce yourself :
- In the particpant list, click on your name
- Click on the link "Create a new empty page".
- Present yourself, give any relevant detail for CivicAccess
- Save - it's done !

Stef

A Campaign for Information

Daniel Hunter
Stef, thanks for the invitation to introduce ourselves.  My name is Daniel Hunter and I've been lurking for a couple of weeks now, after hearing about civicaccess.  Right now I'm working with the Canadian Union of Postal Workers on a campaign for information.  It's called: Operation Transparency.  Here's some info on it:

We need your help. We are asking all friends of social justice and democracy to take concrete action, and help protect the public postal service.

Operation Transparency is a bold campaign from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW). Operation Transparency has clear objectives:

  • obtain the release of strategic planning documents from Canada Post;
  • win a moratorium on the closures of plants and post offices (including the announced closure of a major facility in Quebec City);
  • launch a public debate on any plans to reduce, privatize or deregulate our public postal service.

A new president and Chief Executive Officer, Ms. Moya Greene, took the helm at Canada Post on May 16, 2005. Her first major public decision was to announce she was closing the mail sorting plant in Quebec City. This would eliminate hundreds of jobs in the area.

Is this an isolated decision? Or is this only the first in a series of closures that will gradually undermine the quality of our postal service? How can we find out?

We have asked Canada Post to reveal its intentions. Repeatedly. To no avail.

Over 130,000 people have signed petitions, there have been numerous demonstrations by members of the Union. Over 800 municipalities, countless public figures and many MP’s have made their position known to Canada Post. They all have asked Canada Post with one voice: cancel the closure of the mail sorting plant in Quebec City and proposed closures in other locations, consult us before you make any change to our postal network, and expand the public postal service. It is now time to demand answers.

This is why we are launching Operation Transparency. We will force Canada Post to release all of its planning documents, all of its service scenarios, all of its projects that may impact the postal network.

What is Canada Post's Plan?

Which post offices, in which village, in which small municipality, in which urban centre are slated for closure? What levels of downsizing are being planned? How will service be impacted? Are there plans to privatize or deregulate?

Before it is too late, we need to know.

We are calling on all of our members, allies and friends, elected politicians from all parties, at all levels, everyone who want to protect the post office. Together, let us demand that Canada Post make all of its plans and scenarios public by May 15, 2006.

If the Corporation’s intentions are good, we will be reassured. If they aren’t, we want to debate them.

And if Canada Post will not publish the documents, let us act together. We will call upon the proud tradition of nonviolent direct action.

If we must, we will retrieve the documents ourselves. We may go the full length of Gandhi-inspired civil disobedience, and conduct a search for the documents where they can be found: in the offices of Canada Post.

Together, let’s open the debate on the future of our public postal service

For more information: www.cupw-sttp.ca

-----

Nous avons besoin de votre aide. Nous demandons à toutes les personnes éprises de justice et de démocratie de poser un geste concret pour la protection du service postal public.

Opération transparence est une audacieuse campagne du Syndicat des travailleurs et travailleuses des postes (STTP). Opération transparence vise des objectifs clairs :

  • obtenir de Postes Canada qu’elle rende public l’ensemble de ses documents de planification stratégique;
  • gagner un moratoire sur les fermetures d’installations postales et de bureaux de poste (y compris le centre de tri de Québec dont la fermeture a déjà été annoncée);
  • lancer un débat public sur tout projet visant à réduire, à privatiser ou à déréglementer notre service postal public.
Le 16 mai 2005, Mme Moya Greene a pris la tête de Postes Canada à titre de nouvelle présidente-directrice générale. Sa première grande décision publique : annoncer la fermeture du centre de tri de Québec et l’élimination de centaines d’emplois dans la région.

S’agit-il d’une décision isolée? Ou de la première d’une série de fermetures qui réduiront graduellement la qualité du service postal? Comment le savoir?

Nous avons demandé à plusieurs reprises que la Société canadienne des postes nous révèle ses intentions. Rien n’y fait.

Plus de 130 000 personnes ont signé une pétition et de nombreuses manifestations ont été organisées par les membres du Syndicat. Plus de 800 municipalités à travers le pays, d’innombrables personnalités publiques, ainsi que de nombreux députés et députées fédéraux ont fait connaître leur opinion à Postes Canada. Ils ont réclamé d’une même voix l’arrêt des fermetures d’installations postales au pays, dont celle du centre de tri de Québec, la tenue de consultations avant toute modification au réseau de Postes Canada et l’amélioration du service postal. Il est temps maintenant d’obtenir des réponses.

C’est pourquoi nous lançons l’Opération transparence. Nous allons forcer la Société canadienne des postes à dévoiler publiquement tous ses documents de planification, tous ses scénarios de service et l’ensemble de ses projets pouvant avoir des conséquences sur le réseau postal.

Quel est le projet de Postes Canada?

Quels bureaux de poste de village, de petite municipalité, de grand centre urbain prévoit-on fermer? Quelles réductions d’effectifs sont prévues? Comment le service sera-t-il touché? Existe-il des plans pour la privatisation ou la déréglementation du service postal?

Avant qu’il ne soit trop tard, il faut savoir.

Nous faisons appel à tous nos membres, à tous nos alliés et amis, aux femmes et hommes politiques élus de tous les partis et à tous les paliers, à quiconque veut protéger les bureaux de poste. Exigeons tous ensemble que Postes Canada rende publics d’ici le 15 mai 2006 tous ses plans et scénarios.

Si les intentions de Postes Canada sont bonnes, nous serons rassurés. Si elles sont mauvaises, nous voulons en débattre.

Et si Postes Canada refuse de rendre publics les documents, il nous faudra agir ensemble. Nous invoquerons la noble tradition de l’action directe non violente.

S’il le faut, nous irons chercher nous-mêmes les documents. Dans le cadre d’actions non violentes de désobéissance civile inspirées de Gandhi, nous tenterons si nécessaire d’effectuer une perquisition citoyenne aux bureaux de Postes Canada.

Ensemble, ouvrons le débat sur l’avenir de notre service postal.

Re: Qui êtes-vous ? Introduce yourself !

Robert Guerra

on 5/2/06 9:52 AM Stephane Guidoin said the following:

> You can also add youself in the participant list in the wiki :
> http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/Participants (see there after for a -very- brief
> explanation of the wiki use.) Since sunday, the wiki can be modified by anybody
> (without login).
>
> A short reminder concerning the mailing list : some people receive a daily
> digest (concatenation of all the messages of the day). In order to ease the
> reading of daily digest, it's appreciated that you
> limit the trail of the previous mail you respond to.

I've added myself to the wiki using the text I already have icannwiki.
It's below FYI.

http://www.icannwiki.org/Robert_Guerra

Robert Guerra is a leading privacy advocate based in Toronto, Canada. He
helped establish [WWW] Privaterra - an ongoing project of the [WWW] SAGE
Charitable foundation that works with Human Rights NGOs to assist them
with issues of data privacy, secure communications and information
security. He currently sit on the board of [WWW] Computer Professionals
for Social Responsibility (CPSR), and has been actively involved in the
preparatory process of the UN World Summit on the Information Society,
including as a panelist at the Pan European and Latin American Regional
Meeting, an NGO advisor to the Canadian delegation, and the focal point
for CPSR. He also sit on the advisory board of several human rights
organizations and non-profits, including the international Youth
organization - Taking IT Global.

Regards

Robert

--
Robert Guerra <[hidden email]>
Managing Director, Privaterra

Re: montréal meetup (et svp d'excuser mon français écrit!)

Robin Millette
On 5/2/06, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1) most importantly - je croit que j'ai réussi à mon examen français.
> :-)  Seulement parce que c'est un cours a un niveau très bas.

Congrats anyway :)

> 2) Le meetup va etre mercredi entre 17hrs-19hrs.  On va etre au moins
> 6:  Daniel, Robin, Hugh, Dory, Stephane (G), Judyth et moi.

I won't be able to make it, obviously. Visit from my family which
wasn't planned but very welcomed. I'll catch you next time, or maybe
tonight for

http://citoyen.onf.ca/3mai/

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/