conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

Tracey P. Lauriault

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

David Eaves
The short answer to that is yes. There are several conservative "think tanks" and gatherings that advocate this move. If it feels coordinated (that word might be too strong), it's because it is.

--
@daeaves
Sent from my iPhone

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

michael gurstein

Tks David,

Can you point to a place where there is a discussion/critique on censuses from a “conservative” perspective?

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

Tracey P. Lauriault
Michael;

A good place to start is to listen to the video that accompanies the article I sent.

Cheers
Tracey

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Michael Gurstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tks David,

Can you point to a place where there is a discussion/critique on censuses from a “conservative” perspective?

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

michael gurstein

Yes, the arguments there are slightly more elaborate than the ridiculous stuff that was peddled here in Canada but I’m still interested in hearing what the Cons have against the census…

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

Tracey P. Lauriault
same here, Michael, would be good to know the circles where these things are discussed as part of an agenda.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 7:30 PM, Michael Gurstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, the arguments there are slightly more elaborate than the ridiculous stuff that was peddled here in Canada but I’m still interested in hearing what the Cons have against the census…

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

john whelan
From memory one basic idea is we (the government) have a lot of interaction with the population.  So driving licence data is fairly current and that covers a lot of people, renewal every five years seems common.  We have tax return data, etc etc.

Just data mine it and you get a surprising amount of data and with the new anti-terrorist legislation there is less objection to combining data on privacy grounds.  Even in Canada some government data bases are combined for a specific application, this was actually approved by the privacy commissionaire.

Is it any less accurate than the census?  Well to a conservative government does it matter?  If there is no data then you can make decisions, currently they don't rely on civil servants to research etc anyway or certainly to the extent that we saw in the past.  The census in any case is three years or so out of date on average anyway so from a data quality point of view it isn't quite as nice as we'd like it to be.  Give me access to the provincial and municipal data bases as well as the federal ones including the tax data bases and I think the accuracy would be better.

Having worked at Stats on the census I once asked one of my staff who was unmarried had he filled his census form in yet?  "No, they aren't interested in me."  was the reply and they worked on the census so what hope for the rest of the country and its the ones who don't answer you're most interested in.

Cheerio John

On 28 February 2015 at 13:49, Michael Gurstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tks David,

Can you point to a place where there is a discussion/critique on censuses from a “conservative” perspective?

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

michael gurstein

I must say that in the midst of the census discussion I was somewhat surprised that there wasn’t any evident attempt by the pro-census folks (of which I am one) to do a radical re-think of census information type gathering as you are hinting at below.

The problem of course was the way in which the Tories acted which was that it was their way or the highway rather than what would have been broadly useful and globally significant (particularly given Canada’s (former) very high global reputation in those areas) i.e. a major rethink of census type information use and appropriate ways in which that information could be derived of which the traditional census is of course only one.

Re: conservatives world wide are cancelling censuses!

michael gurstein

Yes, I understand.