civic engagement using portal pages

Michael Lenczner
Tracey included a link to this in the middle of one of her emails but
1) it wasn't public and 2) I thought most of you might have missed it.
  I know that it's not about "access to information" per say, but it
is about having access to political content in standard formats
without restrictions on use.

so check out

http://civicsense.ca/?page_id=11

http://civicsense.ca/elections/quebec07/

from the project description:
"The goal of Elections07 is to give a concrete example of what can be
accomplished when citizens have access to civic information in
standard and open formats."

Re: civic engagement using portal pages

Daniel Haran
Wow - that's awesome.

I assume the software that runs that is open as well? It may serve as
inspiration for similar projects ;)

On 3/19/07, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tracey included a link to this in the middle of one of her emails but
> 1) it wasn't public and 2) I thought most of you might have missed it.
>   I know that it's not about "access to information" per say, but it
> is about having access to political content in standard formats
> without restrictions on use.
>
> so check out
>
> http://civicsense.ca/?page_id=11
>
> http://civicsense.ca/elections/quebec07/
>
> from the project description:
> "The goal of Elections07 is to give a concrete example of what can be
> accomplished when citizens have access to civic information in
> standard and open formats."

Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

On 3/19/07, Daniel Haran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Wow - that's awesome.

thanks :-)

> I assume the software that runs that is open as well? It may serve as
> inspiration for similar projects ;)

yep - http://www.wifidog.org . We (ISF) started that software project.
 Now it's being used by 32 other communities across 4 contintents.

The best thing is that each portal page can be different.  So that's
why I always wanted per-MP rss feeds from howdtheyvote.  Use a
hotspot, find out about the civic info in that area.

> On 3/19/07, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Tracey included a link to this in the middle of one of her emails but
> > 1) it wasn't public and 2) I thought most of you might have missed it.
> >   I know that it's not about "access to information" per say, but it
> > is about having access to political content in standard formats
> > without restrictions on use.
> >
> > so check out
> >
> > http://civicsense.ca/?page_id=11
> >
> > http://civicsense.ca/elections/quebec07/
> >
> > from the project description:
> > "The goal of Elections07 is to give a concrete example of what can be
> > accomplished when citizens have access to civic information in
> > standard and open formats."

> --
> Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Re: civic engagement using portal pages

Michael Lenczner
oops.  I think you meant the aggregator. Not the portal page software.

The aggregator is called "planet".   http://www.planetplanet.org

but it's an annoying system of python and cron jons (and manually
editing a conf file to add more feeds)

On 3/19/07, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/19/07, Daniel Haran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Wow - that's awesome.
> >
> thanks :-)
>
> > I assume the software that runs that is open as well? It may serve as
> > inspiration for similar projects ;)
>
> yep - http://www.wifidog.org . We (ISF) started that software project.
>  Now it's being used by 32 other communities across 4 contintents.
>
> The best thing is that each portal page can be different.  So that's
> why I always wanted per-MP rss feeds from howdtheyvote.  Use a
> hotspot, find out about the civic info in that area.
>

> > On 3/19/07, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Tracey included a link to this in the middle of one of her emails but
> > > 1) it wasn't public and 2) I thought most of you might have missed it.
> > >   I know that it's not about "access to information" per say, but it
> > > is about having access to political content in standard formats
> > > without restrictions on use.
> > >
> > > so check out
> > >
> > > http://civicsense.ca/?page_id=11
> > >
> > > http://civicsense.ca/elections/quebec07/
> > >
> > > from the project description:
> > > "The goal of Elections07 is to give a concrete example of what can be
> > > accomplished when citizens have access to civic information in
> > > standard and open formats."

> > --
> > Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Re: civic engagement using portal pages

Cory Horner
Michael Lenczner wrote:
> yep - http://www.wifidog.org . We (ISF) started that software project.
>  Now it's being used by 32 other communities across 4 contintents.
>
> The best thing is that each portal page can be different.  So that's
> why I always wanted per-MP rss feeds from howdtheyvote.  Use a
> hotspot, find out about the civic info in that area.

It's coming -- I realize i've lost *all* credibility here, but really :)

Ack... it's time we just solved the postal code/address problem so we
can interlink all these things.

Does someone want to donate a postgres/postgis instance (iles sans fil?)
-- i'll toss the geogratis 2004 electoral boundaries shapefile in, and
build a quick link with geocoder.  We can then offer address/postal
code/coordinates to electoral district conversion.  As we acquire
additional spatial data, we can offer similar services for provincial
jurisdictions as well.

Cheers,
Cory.

On 3/20/07, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Lenczner wrote:
> > yep - http://www.wifidog.org . We (ISF) started that software project.
> >  Now it's being used by 32 other communities across 4 contintents.
> >
> > The best thing is that each portal page can be different.  So that's
> > why I always wanted per-MP rss feeds from howdtheyvote.  Use a
> > hotspot, find out about the civic info in that area.
> >
> It's coming -- I realize i've lost *all* credibility here, but really :)

Not at all.  HDV is volunteer driven.  And there's only 2 of you.  Not
a question of expectations, just of excitement/anticipation.

> Ack... it's time we just solved the postal code/address problem so we
> can interlink all these things.
>
> Does someone want to donate a postgres/postgis instance (iles sans fil?)
> -- i'll toss the geogratis 2004 electoral boundaries shapefile in, and
> build a quick link with geocoder.  We can then offer address/postal
> code/coordinates to electoral district conversion.  As we acquire
> additional spatial data, we can offer similar services for provincial
> jurisdictions as well.

Sorry - you reached my geek limit. I'm not sure what you need.  Just a
postgis install?

I'm not sure that this will help us show content.  I think for the
purposes of Wifidog that we'll be manually tie-ing MP rss feeds to
individual content.

Let me know.  And I hope that it's okay if a bit more of this
discussion happens on-list?

Michael Lenczner wrote:

>> Does someone want to donate a postgres/postgis instance (iles sans fil?)
>> -- i'll toss the geogratis 2004 electoral boundaries shapefile in, and
>> build a quick link with geocoder.  We can then offer address/postal
>> code/coordinates to electoral district conversion.  As we acquire
>> additional spatial data, we can offer similar services for provincial
>> jurisdictions as well.
>>

> Sorry - you reached my geek limit. I'm not sure what you need.  Just a
> postgis install?

Yeah... someone to host the database, and host the perl (or ruby) script
> I'm not sure that this will help us show content.  I think for the
> purposes of Wifidog that we'll be manually tie-ing MP rss feeds to
> individual content.
>
> Let me know.  And I hope that it's okay if a bit more of this
> discussion happens on-list?

You bet... i'm content to discuss here until people say "hey, be quiet".

What i'm proposing is the spatial lookup service, which is an essential
part of what is needed to get that MP feed, but you are correct -- it is
not the complete thing.

There are 3 pieces to the whole puzzle:
1. address to latitude-longitude
2. latitude-longitude to riding(s)
3. riding to feed

For 1, see this:
http://geocoder.ca/?addresst=SPRINGRIDGE&stno=788&city=KAMLOOPS&prov=BC&geoit=1

We can't otherwise obtain #1 without a major leaflet campaign (we'll get
to that).

I'm proposing we chain together 1 and 2. We could also put other spatial
data in there and output things other than ridings.

On the other hand, we could wait for HTV to roll this all into one
request (1-2-3 would just be hidden behind the scenes, and possibly be
cached for speed).  Others may find a use for this in the meantime
though...  (by the sounds of it, Judyth is eager).

Perhaps this isn't so useful without 3.

Cory.

Re: civic engagement using portal pages

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Hey Cory,

I like the conversation on the list to!

See my comments below, just trying to make sure i am comprehend what you
are saying

. Cory Horner wrote:

> Michael Lenczner wrote:
>
>>> Does someone want to donate a postgres/postgis instance (iles sans fil?)
>>> -- i'll toss the geogratis 2004 electoral boundaries shapefile in, and
>>> build a quick link with geocoder.  We can then offer address/postal
>>> code/coordinates to electoral district conversion.  As we acquire
>>> additional spatial data, we can offer similar services for provincial
>>> jurisdictions as well.
>>>

>> Sorry - you reached my geek limit. I'm not sure what you need.  Just a
>> postgis install?
>>

> Yeah... someone to host the database, and host the perl (or ruby) script
>
>> I'm not sure that this will help us show content.  I think for the
>> purposes of Wifidog that we'll be manually tie-ing MP rss feeds to
>> individual content.
>>
>> Let me know.  And I hope that it's okay if a bit more of this
>> discussion happens on-list?
>>

> You bet... i'm content to discuss here until people say "hey, be quiet".
>
> What i'm proposing is the spatial lookup service, which is an essential
> part of what is needed to get that MP feed, but you are correct -- it is
> not the complete thing.
>
> There are 3 pieces to the whole puzzle:
> 1. address to latitude-longitude

is this the address of the hotspot? If so do you have a list of hotspots
from isf mtl to start w/address soz you can get the lat long
> 2. latitude-longitude to riding(s)

So you have a boundary file (polygon files) of the ridings and the
hotspot lat long point files will overlay onto the riding polygon file
soz you can see what is what and then you would add the riding as an
attribute to the hotspots tables?  What about the postal code files that
are associated to the riding files?
> 3. riding to feed

so i guess hotspot address to riding to feed and then to the portal page

> For 1, see this:
> http://geocoder.ca/?addresst=SPRINGRIDGE&stno=788&city=KAMLOOPS&prov=BC&geoit=1
>
> We can't otherwise obtain #1 without a major leaflet campaign (we'll get
> to that).
>
> I'm proposing we chain together 1 and 2. We could also put other spatial
> data in there and output things other than ridings.
>
> On the other hand, we could wait for HTV to roll this all into one
> request (1-2-3 would just be hidden behind the scenes, and possibly be
> cached for speed).  Others may find a use for this in the meantime
> though...  (by the sounds of it, Judyth is eager).
>
> Perhaps this isn't so useful without 3.

What geomatics software are you using to do all this in?

Cheers
tracey

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> Hey Cory,
>
> I like the conversation on the list to!
>
> See my comments below, just trying to make sure i am comprehend what you
> are saying
>
> . Cory Horner wrote:
>
>> There are 3 pieces to the whole puzzle:
>> 1. address to latitude-longitude
>>

> is this the address of the hotspot? If so do you have a list of hotspots
> from isf mtl to start w/address soz you can get the lat long

I was talking more generally -- a hotspot, or someone's house.  You are
correct though -- the ISF hotspots would figure out their lat-long
coords only once, and after that would only perform 2 and 3.
>> 2. latitude-longitude to riding(s)
>>

> So you have a boundary file (polygon files) of the ridings and the
> hotspot lat long point files will overlay onto the riding polygon file
> soz you can see what is what and then you would add the riding as an
> attribute to the hotspots tables?  What about the postal code files that
> are associated to the riding files?

We don't really have access to those -- and a postal code to riding
lookup isn't very accurate, as some people have indicated.  It would be
better to go from an address directly to a riding, and then only get one
result.  Alternatively, we could list all ridings within a x kilometer
radius of the address.
>> 3. riding to feed
>>

> so i guess hotspot address to riding to feed and then to the portal page

That's it... for clarity let's draw a picture:

ISF portal page ----(lat-long coords)----> script
> What geomatics software are you using to do all this in?
Likely a PostgreSQL open-source database with PostGIS spatial
extensions.  Shapefiles can be imported easily.

Cheers,
Cory.

Re: civic engagement using portal pages

Tracey P. Lauriault-2