action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Hey all!

The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
Les préparations pour le recensement de 2006 sont en pleine démarche et
ce serait superbe d'accéder ces trésors numériques gratuitements
n'est-ce pas?

Anyone interested in putting a communicatin / lobby / grassroots
collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?
Est-ce que il y aurait des gens interessés a developer un mouvement pour
libérer ces données numeriques civiques?

they do belong to us after all/ en fin de compte elles nous appartiennes!

I would be interetested in doing a thing! Moi je serais interessé!

Tracey

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Russell McOrmond-2
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
> treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?

   Just a note -- the folks at The Parliament Hillbillies in Ottawa audio
BLOG spoke about doing at ATIP request for the software that the Census
bureau will be using for some of the online questionnaire stuff.

http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1960

   I know I wouldn't consider doing their online questionnaire given they
"outsourced" their security problems onto the computers of private
citizens.

   I suspect PHBO would be interested to talk about Open Access of the
resulting data as well, if someone writes a page describing things for the
WIKI.

  2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
  Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.
  http://KillBillC60.ca    Sign--> http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/

Russell McOrmond wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?

   Just a note -- the folks at The Parliament Hillbillies in Ottawa audio
BLOG spoke about doing at ATIP request for the software that the Census
bureau will be using for some of the online questionnaire stuff.

http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1960

ATIP ?
   I know I wouldn't consider doing their online questionnaire given they
"outsourced" their security problems onto the computers of private
citizens.

eek! Yes! The Canada part of American weapons manufacturer Lockheed Martin
   I suspect PHBO
what is PHBO?
would be interested to talk about Open Access of the
resulting data as well, if someone writes a page describing things for the
WIKI.

Hmmmm!

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Hugh McGuire
i can do my very little bit, by signing a petition etc. & writing about
it on my weblog! ... but perhaps this should be an official letter to
government & press from civicaccess.ca?

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
> treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
> Les préparations pour le recensement de 2006 sont en pleine démarche et
> ce serait superbe d'accéder ces trésors numériques gratuitements
> n'est-ce pas?
>
> Anyone interested in putting a communicatin / lobby / grassroots
> collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?
> Est-ce que il y aurait des gens interessés a developer un mouvement pour
> libérer ces données numeriques civiques?
>
> they do belong to us after all/ en fin de compte elles nous appartiennes!
>
> I would be interetested in doing a thing! Moi je serais interessé!
>
> Tracey

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
i like your thinking Hugh!

maybe we can do an online thing like jo walsh (http://frot.org/) did for data - http://publicgeodata.org/ - or that my pal chris lawson (http://www.cmkl.ca/cv) - did for daycare - http://www.buildchildcare.ca/BE_petition.php/honourthem.

There are some talks going on about data brokers in some communities, and data intermediaries, the role of the DLI etc.  However i think if done right we could get both data users (citizens, ngos, municipalities, prov), data libraries (libraries, archives etc.), and associations - association of canadian map librarians etc. interested.

In fact, i'm thinking that might be a nice way to launch!

What do ya think?

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

Hey all!

The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
Les préparations pour le recensement de 2006 sont en pleine démarche et
ce serait superbe d'accéder ces trésors numériques gratuitements
n'est-ce pas?

Anyone interested in putting a communicatin / lobby / grassroots
collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?
Est-ce que il y aurait des gens interessés a developer un mouvement pour
libérer ces données numeriques civiques?

they do belong to us after all/ en fin de compte elles nous appartiennes!

I would be interetested in doing a thing! Moi je serais interessé!

Tracey

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Hugh McGuire
> In fact, i'm thinking that might be a nice way to launch!
Yes, it seems to me the Census is the highest profile batch of citizen
data out there - it always makes a media splash when there's a new one &
people know what it is & talk about it. and it's a perfect example of a
data set that civicaccess is fighting for.

one thing to be VERY careful about though, I think, is the question of
privacy. making sure that civicaccess isn't misconstrued as a group that
wants to get hold of census data and tell everyone how much tax you paid
last year, and how many zoroastrians live at your address.

h.

> What do ya think?
>

> Hugh McGuire wrote:
>
>>i can do my very little bit, by signing a petition etc. & writing about
>>it on my weblog! ... but perhaps this should be an official letter to
>>government & press from civicaccess.ca?
>>
>>Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:
>>

>>>Hey all!
>>>
>>>The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
>>>treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
>>>Les préparations pour le recensement de 2006 sont en pleine démarche et
>>>ce serait superbe d'accéder ces trésors numériques gratuitements
>>>n'est-ce pas?
>>>
>>>Anyone interested in putting a communicatin / lobby / grassroots
>>>collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?
>>>Est-ce que il y aurait des gens interessés a developer un mouvement pour
>>>libérer ces données numeriques civiques?
>>>
>>>they do belong to us after all/ en fin de compte elles nous appartiennes!
>>>
>>>I would be interetested in doing a thing! Moi je serais interessé!
>>>
>>>Tracey

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Quite right on the privacy!
zoroastrians - do you mean masked men with cool hats, covered eyes, spanish accents and disobediant horses with swords & capes.  If so, i wanna know if there are any in my chinatown hood ;)
Cheers

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

>>   Just a note -- the folks at The Parliament Hillbillies in Ottawa audio
>>BLOG spoke about doing at ATIP request for the software that the Census
>>bureau will be using for some of the online questionnaire stuff.
>>
>>http://www.digital-copyright.ca/node/1960

> ATIP ?

Access to Infomation and Privacy request.

>>   I suspect PHBO
>>
> what is PHBO?

   "Parliament Hillbillies in Ottawa" -- the audio bloggers I mentioned
earlier.

Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:
> maybe we can do an online thing like jo walsh (http://frot.org/) did for
> data - http://publicgeodata.org/ - or that my pal chris lawson
> (http://www.cmkl.ca/cv) - did for daycare -
> http://www.buildchildcare.ca/BE_petition.php/honourthem.

   A quick note:  Online petitions are great for building a community
around an idea (and educating people), but an old tree-killing paper
petition to parliament actually causes the government to have to respond.

   Make sure that if you do the online petition thing that you hare
realistic expectations about its impact.

   Also, don't presume that an online petition will get more names.  Our
experience with http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ is that while
the online petitions got a few hundred signatures that the paper
petition to parliament got a few thousand signatures (and are still
coming in/etc).

  2415+ Canadians oppose Bill C-60 which protects antiquated Recording,
  Movie and "software manufacturing" industries from modernization.
  http://KillBillC60.ca    Sign--> http://digital-copyright.ca/petition/

RE: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Gurstein, Michael
Message
Probably not, but the folks who mostly live in Persia and believe in the divinity of fire would likely be amused at the association.

MG

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Cory Horner
Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

>The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
>treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
>
>Anyone interested in putting a communication / lobby / grassroots
>collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?

Let's go! :)

Is a paper petition our chosen tool?  When the time comes that we have a
stack of signatures, who (ie, which party) do we give them to?  It's my
understanding that individual MPs table petitions in the house and give
a short speech as to why they shouldn't be ignored.  After submitting
the petition, do we:
 a) hope the government tables a bill, or
 b) adopt an MP in another caucus to put forth a private member's bill
 -- and then get everyone talking to their MP praising the bill?

What are we pushing for? Free and unfettered access for all, or just
improved access for non-profits?  Glancing at the StatsCan site, I see
"free" data, and "priced" data.  I for one would like to see the latter
eliminated, and we make a case regarding the current cost recovery
model, and the socio-economic benefits of its elimination.  Are we
purely focused on the 2006 data, or everything they've got?

2006 Census Questions:
http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2005/20050416/html/decret-e.html#i2

Conditions:
http://www.statcan.ca/english/reference/conditions.htm

Cheers,
Cory.

Re: action for 2006 Census / mouvement pour accéder les données du recenssement 2006

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
see below!

Tracey P. Lauriault
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre (GCRC)
Dept. of Geography, 1125 Colonel By Dr., Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
(Off) +1 613 520 2600 ext 2252 (Home) +1 613 234 2805
[hidden email] or [hidden email]

On Mar 25, Cory Horner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:
>
> >The 2006 Census is getting fired up and wouldn't it be nice to get that
> >treasure trove of civic data out to us citizens and NGOs for free?
> >
> >Anyone interested in putting a communication / lobby / grassroots
> >collective action together to try and tip the data scales in our favour?
> >
> Let's go! :)
>
> Is a paper petition our chosen tool?  When the time comes that we have a
> stack of signatures, who (ie, which party) do we give them to?  It's my
> understanding that individual MPs table petitions in the house and give
> a short speech as to why they shouldn't be ignored.  After submitting
> the petition, do we:
>  a) hope the government tables a bill, or
>  b) adopt an MP in another caucus to put forth a private member's bill
>  -- and then get everyone talking to their MP praising the bill?

i like your thinking!
Who knows about these things?  Russel?
I contacted CPRN - Canadian Policy Research Institute yesterday to see if any one there
is looking at this and to get some advice.

> What are we pushing for? Free and unfettered access for all, or just
> improved access for non-profits?
looks like all!

Glancing at the StatsCan site, I see
> "free" data, and "priced" data.

the free stuff is very general and aggregated so it is the other stuff we want!

I for one would like to see the latter
> eliminated, and we make a case regarding the current cost recovery
> model, and the socio-economic benefits of its elimination.  Are we
> purely focused on the 2006 data, or everything they've got?

I think lets start with census data, they do however have some nice stuff being collected
in the trade division, and some special surveys.

e.html#i2'>http://canadagazette.gc.ca/partI/2005/20050416/html/decret-e.html#i2</a>

> Conditions:
> <a
href='http://www.statcan.ca/english/reference/conditions.htm'>http://www.statcan.ca/englis
h/reference/conditions.htm</a>

> Cheers,
> Cory.

Lets keep talking about this!  We have made a space on the wiki to drop some stuff.  Also
check out COACID and/or civicaccess on delicious to access some nice tagged docs on these
topics.
http://del.icio.us/tlauriau/civicaccess
http://del.icio.us/tlauriau/coacid
discuss_civicaccess.ca</a>