Webinar: Open Data Barometer Report and the State of Open Data in Canada

Webinar: Open Data Barometer Report and the State of Open Data in Canada

jn landry
Thursday, 22 June 2017 from 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM (EDT)

Analyzing global trends and assessing and ranking data from countries according to readiness, implementation and impact, the 4th edition of the Open Data Barometer report shows that while some governments are advancing towards these aims, open data remains the exception, not the rule:
  • Nine out of 10 government datasets are not open
  • Government data is typically incomplete and low quality
  • Sustained political will is what makes or breaks the success of open data
  • Governments are not publishing the data needed to restore citizens’ trust
  • Few open data initiatives actively promote inclusion and equity
International champions, including Canada as the regional North American leader, have been improving steadily since the last edition. Despite these improvements, if the promised benefits of the open data movement are to be realised, the current open data agenda pursued by governments needs to shift its focus back to the basics — and to people. Governments must ensure that open data is for everyone and that data being released is truly what people need and use.

The findings of the 2016 report place Canada in second place. So what are our strengths, and where can we improve? How can we ensure that Canada emerges as a leader in releasing data that is useful and relevant to its citizens? What can we learn from other countries?

Led by Ana Branducescu, Web Foundation's Barometer Researcher, and Jean-Noé Landry, OpenNorth's Executive Director, we’d like to invite you to participate in a discussion positing the Barometers’ findings to explore strategies and initiatives, share ideas and ask hard questions to help ensure that Canada prioritizes open data today.

A presentation of key findings and trends will set the stage of an interactive discussion. Questions will be collected in advance.

Sign-up today: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/open-data-barometer-report-and-the-state-of-open-data-in-canada-registration-34988759321

Thanks for sharing in your networks!

Jean-Noé Landry