Use of geographical data promoted in Japan by new law

Use of geographical data promoted in Japan by new law

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
The New law in Japan is really interesting.  The Japan National Spatial
Data Infrastructure is an odd entity where members are from government
ministries and the industrial sector.  This law does not imply more
access to everyday citizens though, and in fact, the data from the JNSDI
is mostly only shared amongst its members, however, it means greater
collaboration, less redundancy, integration of data sets and the
reduction of the duplication of effort!  It will also mean more
centralization of efforts which comes at a cost! You can leave it to
these folks to enact a law on efficiency!

The participatory GIS post is also helpful.  PPGIS has led to many
really exciting participatory mapping and counter mapping projects in
developing countries and has broadened participation in the creation of
maps and challenging the positivist and has subsumed the states hegemony
over the process!  PPGIS initiatives are the precursor to lots of GI Web
2.0.

cheers