To Do List - Then we prepare to launch

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
We are almost there:

to do:

a) verify the Français content of the front page -
http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPage
b) replace the landing page content - http://civicaccess.ca - with the
content of the *verified* front page
c) modify the APropos texte (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/APropos) to
reflect the new About text (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About)
d) NOTE - the site map is the Navigation page.
e) Question - is the current spot for the site map link the best place?
If not please change it.

Cheers
Tracey

ps - Robin, tu as fais des superbes corrections au textes français!

Re: To Do List - Then we prepare to launch

Cory Horner
Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:

>We are almost there:
>
>to do:
>
>a) verify the Français content of the front page -
>http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/FrontPage
>b) replace the landing page content - http://civicaccess.ca - with the
>content of the *verified* front page
>c) modify the APropos texte (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/APropos) to
>reflect the new About text (http://www.civicaccess.ca/wiki/About)
>d) NOTE - the site map is the Navigation page.
>e) Question - is the current spot for the site map link the best place?
>If not please change it.

What's our status?

Are there any outstanding tasks beyond translation?

Cheers,
Cory.

Re: To Do List - Then we prepare to launch

zara
Hi, I am new to the list, having heard about this project on the DemCom list yesterday. Some of you already know me but for those who do not, my field of work is in access to information society and accessibility of information technologies to persons with disabilities.

I am still not completely clear yet as to what is to be accomplished and how I may contribute but I have not gone through the whole mailing list archives yet.  I do have a few comments concerning the Web site in terms of accessibility for persons with disabilities and hope this can be useful to you.

While I have only done a summary evaluation of the home page and the wiki front page, I noticed the following issues that could be a problem for certain users, especially those using assistive technologies.

First is the question of language.  The home page is bilingual but does not declare a default language in the head and does not declare language changes in the code, using the SPAN element and lang attribute. This is very problematic for screen reader users and can make the content incomprehensible to them as they will need to guess what the principal language is and all content not in that language will be pronounced as the default language.  You can imagine how some of that would sound...  This applies also to the wiki though I read a note in recent changes from Robin who stressed the use of declaring language in content.  As to whether this is normative practice is not clear, wikis can be difficult in terms of accessibility because of the use of what some of us call "pseudo-code".  I will ask around.

The second issue is the use of headings. Headings are very useful to assistive technology users as it helps them understand how content is structured.  For example, a sighted person will be able to ascertain how content is organised by quickly glancing at the page.  Screen reader users will rely on headings, lists, etc. to get an idea. So using headings in a logical sequence, and not for layout purposes, is important.  In principle, there can only be one heading at level one (<h1>) per page and all other headings must degrade logically.  On the home page, there is no H1 and on the wiki front page, there are several. Can these elements be corrected in the wiki ? I also noticed that the search function has not been labelled properly, which could also be a problem to screen reader users. I can not say more on this at this time as I now do not have access to the wiki anymore, user name and password authorization having been activated.

As I said, this is only a very summary evaluation but I hope these comments are useful, I feel like this kind of initiative should strive to be accessible to all. I can also give some time to whoever is programming the site if they need more information.

Best regards,

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy, consultante

www.catherine-roy.net
514.525.9490

Michael Lenczner
Catherine - thank you for your input.  We will see which of those
things we can do before launch and which will be done after launch.
Hopefully launch is a few days away (all we need to do is change that
welcome page).

Everyone else - I'm sorry that this got put out on a separate mailing
list.  Stephane and I sent in a proposal to talk about Civic Data at
an upcoming conference in Quebec city.  The person we submitted our
presentation to thought the project was public and took the
opportunity to forward some information about it to a mailing list she
was on.

I informed the mailing list that the project wasn't yet public and I
asked Steh to re make the wiki password protected.