Stats Can update

Michael Boyle
Hi everyone,

I'm not 100% sure of the modalities of the list and whether simply
passing on information is within scope, but via a friend's blog today
I read that Stats Can has made all of its electronic publications
free as of last week. Here is the relevant announcement: "http://
www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060424/b060424a.htm" which indicates
that they have made about 150 items free for which there was
previously a charge.

To browse the publications, from that page click on the "Our products
and services" link at the top and then follow the link called "Browse
our free internet publications (PDF or HTML)".

Progress? I haven't followed Stats Can closely enough to qualify how
important this is, but I suppose that making anything free for which
there once was a charge is somewhat positive.

Best,

Michael

Michael Boyle                                           www.mikel.org

Re: Stats Can update

Hugh McGuire
yes! civicaccess.ca's first victory! ;-)

Michael Boyle wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm not 100% sure of the modalities of the list and whether simply
> passing on information is within scope, but via a friend's blog today
> I read that Stats Can has made all of its electronic publications
> free as of last week. Here is the relevant announcement: "http://
> www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060424/b060424a.htm" which indicates
> that they have made about 150 items free for which there was
> previously a charge.
>
> To browse the publications, from that page click on the "Our products
> and services" link at the top and then follow the link called "Browse
> our free internet publications (PDF or HTML)".
>
> Progress? I haven't followed Stats Can closely enough to qualify how
> important this is, but I suppose that making anything free for which
> there once was a charge is somewhat positive.
>
> Best,
>
> Michael

Re: Stats Can update

Robin Millette
On 5/1/06, Hugh McGuire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes! civicaccess.ca's first victory! ;-)
>
> Michael Boyle wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm not 100% sure of the modalities of the list and whether simply
> > passing on information is within scope, but via a friend's blog today
> > I read that Stats Can has made all of its electronic publications
> > free as of last week. Here is the relevant announcement: "http://
> > www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060424/b060424a.htm" which indicates
> > that they have made about 150 items free for which there was
> > previously a charge.

Actually, it was mentionned on this list a few days ago, before our
launch. It's still good news, of course :)

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/
Président de FACIL : http://facil.qc.ca/

Re: Stats Can update

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Nice! Michael! See response in-line.

Michael Boyle wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm not 100% sure of the modalities of the list and whether simply
passing on information is within scope, but via a friend's blog today
I read that Stats Can has made all of its electronic publications
free as of last week. Here is the relevant announcement: "http://
www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/060424/b060424a.htm" which indicates
that they have made about 150 items free for which there was
previously a charge.

Tis true!
To browse the publications, from that page click on the "Our products
and services" link at the top and then follow the link called "Browse
our free internet publications (PDF or HTML)".

Progress? I haven't followed Stats Can closely enough to qualify how
important this is, but I suppose that making anything free for which
there once was a charge is somewhat positive.

It is a small step in the right direction.  I navigated through about 20 docs quickly, many are excellent research papers, reports or methodological documentation.  The data remain as the scale of the nation or province.  Some of the health reports are great.  The Geography files are in PDF and some of the geomatics files are available.  The free reports provide useful but limited descriptive statistics between and among provinces only.

What we really want are the data and their associated documentation and metadata in tabular formats and the boundary files.  We would also like those files to be at the scale of the neighbourhood, city boundaries, wards, counties, District administration areas and so on.  This is where some excellent citizen analysis can take place.  My guess is we will start to see 2001 census data more readily very soon, and perhaps even 1996 corrected to the amalgamated city boundaries, but the 2006 data will be very costly.

Our job is to help them along with their releases, perhaps we could draft a letter to thank them and then ask for what we want?

Cheers
Best,

Michael