Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning

Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning

Tracey P. Lauriault
Big data, smart city, open data & evidence-based decision-making?  Can they meet or do they collide?

Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning
by: Teresa Scassa

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor

Re: Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning

Mita Williams
I found this article particularly interesting because next month OpenDataWindsorEssex is going to host a couple of Open events around cycling data that we (hopefully) will be getting from Strava. Our series of events is called Bits and Bikes and our Open Data results will be presented at the Windsor Bike Summit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/windsor-essex-bike-summit-2016-tickets-22706100558

I have tried very hard to find alternatives to this dataset but without hosting our own bike counters which are cheap but require much labour (http://tomorrow-lab.com/lab16) and without city investment into costly EcoCounters (http://www.eco-compteur.com/en/) we don't have much in terms of other options.

That being said, there is an option that I would have liked to bring to the attention of author Teresa Scassa but cannot because comments are not open. Both Toronto and Montreal have their own cycling apps to capture bike data for their cycling planning. Both are built using BrystCycle http://www.brisksynergies.com/en/briskcycle/ which is a platform that is too costly for our non-profit to pay for.

If there are other sources of cycling data that this community is aware of, please let me know.

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:34 AM, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
Big data, smart city, open data & evidence-based decision-making?  Can they meet or do they collide?

Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning
by: Teresa Scassa

--
Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication
Suite 4110, River Building
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
[hidden email]
@TraceyLauriault
Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: Sourcing cycling data from the private sector: Some questions about data analytics and city planning

john whelan
OpenStreetMap has developed procedures to collect GPS tracks from devices and transfer them into a database.  They have a fair number of cycling enthusiasts so the trick would be to collect these GPS tracks and aggregate them.

The nice thing is you don't need a smartphone to do this, other devices can be used.

Bike counters look interesting.   Based on my knowledge of Arduino I'd say there maybe a cheaper way to build these perhaps using a Rasberry Pi.  The critial bit is the Differential Air Pressure Sensor.  Talk nicely to a group of students and supply them the raw materials.  You don't need a display, or a beeper, cost is important because unless you can secure them very well they may walk.

Cheerio John

April 25, 2016 10:58 AM
[...]

Sent from Postbox