Santa Clara County stops selling its data for electronic maps, claims security risk

Santa Clara County stops selling its data for electronic maps, claims security risk

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
The First Amendment Coalition is suing the county for overcharging on
the sale of mapping information.  Homeland security was thrown in as an
add on argument regarding access.  This is used often against the
sharing of state data.  The article also discusses how the data are
inseparable from the proprietary software used to create the maps.

I guess not all data in the US are free - as in no cost - as often we
are told they are.
*
http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_5582629?nclick_check=1*