Re: LEI's & Canada

James McKinney-4
This is the list of LOUs http://www.leiroc.org/publications/gls/lou_20131003_2.pdf It’s not easy to filter, but the Ontario Securities Commission is there. I don’t think any other Canadian securities commission or corporate register is there. A Canadian entity can also get a LEI from a foreign LOU instead. OSC is there because their rules require LEIs: http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/osc-reminds-derivatives-dealers-and-counterparties-to-obtain-a-legal-entity-identifier-516106941.html

The folks at OpenCorporates know a lot about LEIs, as they operate http://openleis.com/

On Aug 1, 2016, at 4:50 PM, Michael Lenczner <[hidden email]> wrote:

The US Securities Exchange Commission is in middle of a public consultation. I've been paying attention to the Global Legal Entity Identifier piece of the puzzle for a little while now and they articulated a few discussion points in this response to the consultation.

I'm curious to know what Canada's approach to LEI's is and what it should be. James - I know that you've done some work with the Follow the Money effort. What are the recommendations to countries? Should the CRA become a legal issuer (LOU) of LEI's? Or is it already?

If you're looking for some context, here is some from 2012:
or

Sorry to not have better questions. I'm just fishing. Specifically I'm trying to think through the question of assigning unique identifiers for nonprofit organizations in different national jurisdictions so we don't start using a new propriety unique identifier in the Dun & Bradstreet model.

Cheers,

Michael Lenczner
Director of Powered by Data, a Tides Canada Initiative | CEO of Ajah