Paper - Intellectual Property Law and Geospatial Information: Some Challenges

Paper - Intellectual Property Law and Geospatial Information: Some Challenges

Tracey P. Lauriault

Intellectual Property Law and Geospatial Information: Some Challenges

Author(s): Teresa Scassa, D.R. Fraser Taylor

The WIPO Journal, Volume 6, Issue 1 (2014): 79-88

This article examines the role of intellectual property (IP) law in shaping SDIs—those digital repositories of data that define and structure our understanding of physical space. We argue that IP law has played a role in determining how digital geospatial data are shared and used, and that it has become, of necessity, an element to be managed within SDIs. This is more than just a matter of the drafting of licensing agreements. IP law in this context is linked to notions of authority and authenticity. It plays an important role in defining the ever-shifting relationships between producers and users of geospatial data.

Source: http://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_journal_wpj6n1.pdf