Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf

Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf

Ted Hildebrandt
Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf By Andy McCue

Volunteers with GPS devices aim to map the planet and loosen the grip of
government on geographic data.

http://news.com.com/Open-source+project+treads+on+Google+Maps+turf/2100-
1032_3-6134871.html?tag=sas.email

Re: Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf

Robin Millette
On 11/14/06, Ted Hildebrandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Open-source project treads on Google Maps turf By Andy McCue
>
> Volunteers with GPS devices aim to map the planet and loosen the grip of
> government on geographic data.
>
> http://news.com.com/Open-source+project+treads+on+Google+Maps+turf/2100-
> 1032_3-6134871.html?tag=sas.email

Funny that. I mean, Google just uses data bought from a third party
whereas the described projects entails citizens actually gathering the
data. Two very different things.

--
Semaine québécoise de l'informatique libre : http://sqil.info/
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/