Open data RFPs

James McKinney-2
Nova Scotia’s Property Valuation Services Corporation has an RFP for an open data portal. Deadline: June 15
https://www.novascotia.ca/tenders/tenders/tender-details.aspx?id=RFI-PVSC-2015-05
http://www.pvsc.ca/site/media/PVSC/Documents/Open%20Data%20Portal%20RFI%20-%20May%2019,%202015.pdf
http://www.pvsc.ca/site/media/PVSC/Documents/RFI-Addendum1-PVSC-2015-05.pdf

Strathcona County has an RFP to build apps using its open data. Deadline: July 2
http://vendor.purchasingconnection.ca/Opportunity.aspx?Guid=4694A33D-8409-4F1C-B698-BBD640D6B215

Re: Open data RFPs

Gerry Tychon-2
Thanks for posting that James.

+1 to Nova Scotia for making effort on an open data portal and
+2 to Strathcona County for understanding that making open data successful requires more than an I.T. plan

... gerry

On 05/06/2015 9:28 AM, James McKinney wrote:
Nova Scotia’s Property Valuation Services Corporation has an RFP for an open data portal. Deadline: June 15
https://www.novascotia.ca/tenders/tenders/tender-details.aspx?id=RFI-PVSC-2015-05
http://www.pvsc.ca/site/media/PVSC/Documents/Open%20Data%20Portal%20RFI%20-%20May%2019,%202015.pdf
http://www.pvsc.ca/site/media/PVSC/Documents/RFI-Addendum1-PVSC-2015-05.pdf

Strathcona County has an RFP to build apps using its open data. Deadline: July 2
http://vendor.purchasingconnection.ca/Opportunity.aspx?Guid=4694A33D-8409-4F1C-B698-BBD640D6B215

Re: Open data RFPs

Michael Lenczner-2
I'm not going to apply to this, but I was curious. And now I'm impressed.

I copied and pasted some of the text of the RFP below. I didn't attach the downloaded file only because I'm didn't take the time to read through the TOS of signing up and I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't allowed to.

---------------

<snip>The County’s Open Data Portal was created to increase government transparency and to make government data accessible to residents. However, since the portal provides timely and reliable data in a trusted and consistent manner, the portal has encouraged innovation by using the data either alone or combined with other data for analysis or to create applications. Additional value can be created through the analysis and usage of this data to create evidence-based decisions and more personalized services to the public.

OPPORTUNITY

The success of the Open Data is not simply based on the number of data sets in the Open Data Portal, but what is done with the data on the portal. The County is committed to enable both residents and interested parties to ‘unleash the value’ within the Open Data. Since this is a public resource, the value of the data may benefit an individual, group or classroom, business or the community at large.

To-date the County has actively participated in local hackathons and other open- data events in order to encourage the applied use of municipal data. While there has been some success and publicity associated with these events, it is agreed that more focused efforts are required.

Information Technology Services is working with departments needing solutions to formulate the issues relevant and solvable with information and apps. The result is a guide that will help the developer to focus on problems faced by our municipal government. This more matured model involves more of a partnership in which the Successful Respondent(s) would be working along-side the civil servants that have expertise on the data and the problems. At a minimum an ongoing dialogue is established, however, potentially developers could be embedded in the organization for substantial time periods to better understand the operations and challenges.

As a result, the County is seeking qualified firms that can help develop high quality visualizations and applications - interactive online tools that are responsive and capable for mobile use by:
• Showcasing data as information by providing context or customization;
• Visualization of data to explain complex ideas; • Interpreting data to solve problems;
• Discovering value in data that may provide additional insight or to influence policy; and
• Developing applications that create new services.

The market for civic apps is virtually limitless as civic needs are shared across city, regional, and national borders. Although the County projects will be targeted towards local situations and resources, the solutions produced here have a huge potential for reuse in other municipalities. The County encourages their partners to take advantage of this and supports the promotion on the Socrata Apps Marketplace.

<snip>

PROJECTS

Strathcona County is now ready to begin with building and releasing projects. The County wishes to develop several key projects over the next couple of years. The projects will vary in complexity and urgency although will likely fall into simple categories of small (< 1 month) and medium (> 1 month, < 3 months) size projects.

In accordance with the County’s Procurement Policy, the Information and Technology Services Department will issue a public Request for Proposals in the event a project is determined to be significant (cost) in nature.

CONSULTANT SERVICES REQUIRED

The County is seeking to partner with an IT development firm (or firms) that can create products to assist its municipal government to better serve its residents and add value to our Open Data platform. Strathcona County wants a company that truly understands and is passionate about data. The County wants qualified Respondents that can turn data into information, turning the complex into insightful. The following is the skillset the County is seeking:
• Information and data architecture;
• Application development, preferably civic applications;
• User interaction design; and
• Data analytics, visualization and infographics.
<snip>