Open Data City of Ottawa and OpenStreetMap update

Open Data City of Ottawa and OpenStreetMap update

john whelan

Sometimes getting the data released under an Open Data License isn't
quite enough.  Making sure the licenses are aligned and acceptable can
be a problem.

So the City of Ottawa updated its license to more closely align with the
Treasury Board Open Data license, we've been importing CANVEC  data for
years but apparently some people in OpenStreetMap were under the
impression it was under some private arrangement not the normal license.

Tracey identified an file that the City of Ottawa had containing 300,000
buildings which Stats Canada had an interest in having imported into
OpenStreetMap and eventually this file was released onto the City of
Ottawa's open data portal. That took time.

It was only yesterday that legal working group of OpenStreetMap decided
the City of Ottawa Open Data License was acceptable.  Some Canadian
mappers had been resisting the import.

I think its only taken about five years to get the licenses sorted out
so we can import things like Ottawa bus stops into OpenStreetMap.

So thank you Tracey for identifying the file, many thanks to the City of
Ottawa for their efforts and thank you to Treasury Board for their
efforts in sorting out an Open Data license that can be used.

Needless to say there have been comments along the lines of if only the
license was exactly the same as....

Cheerio John

Re: Open Data City of Ottawa and OpenStreetMap update

Tracey P. Lauriault
Thank good we are patient!  Thanks for the update John.

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:55 AM, John Whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication