OVERVIEW OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT GEOGRAPHIC DATA DISSEMINATION ENVIRONMENT

OVERVIEW OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT GEOGRAPHIC DATA DISSEMINATION ENVIRONMENT

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
OVERVIEW OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT GEOGRAPHIC DATA DISSEMINATION
ENVIRONMENT
http://www.geoconnections.org/publications/Best_practices_guide/html/chapter_3_e.html

Re: OVERVIEW OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT GEOGRAPHIC DATA DISSEMINATION ENVIRONMENT

Cory Horner
Tracey P. Lauriault wrote:
> OVERVIEW OF THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT GEOGRAPHIC DATA DISSEMINATION
> ENVIRONMENT
> http://www.geoconnections.org/publications/Best_practices_guide/html/chapter_3_e.htm

Nice find Tracey!

This seems to be the entire policy in a nutshell, one paragraph of
interest being:

> Information that:
> is needed by individuals to make use of a service or program for which
> they are eligible;
> explains the rights, entitlements and obligations of individuals;
> consists of personal information requested by the individual to who it
> concerns;
> informs the public about dangers or risks to health, safety or the
> environment;
> is required for public understanding of a major new priority, law,
> policy, program or service; or
> is requested under the Access to Information Act and fees are waived
> at the discretion of the head of the institution,
>
> must be provided free of charge.
>
> Publications that do not meet those requirements may be priced.

This does not appear to be enshrined in law, but is policy -- so if an
argument for access to certain data is brought forth along these lines,
it would have a good chance of success.

Another section that grabbed my eye was the User Fees Act, which
requires federal departments to "consult stakeholders" before setting
fees.  I wonder where we reside on this ambiguous list of
"stakeholders", and if we are not adequately represented how to get on it.

Cory.