MP list - now in CSV

Daniel Haran
Hi folks,

The list of MPs retrieved from the government's website has now been
cleaned up, and made available in CSV format (for databases and
spreadsheets) It is available here:
http://lokobo.com:3000/mps
http://lokobo.com:3000/mps.csv

The data is in the public domain, as is the source code for retrieving
and displaying it on the web. The software is available through
http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=3225 (technical information in
README).

Now that I'm started, is there any other similar information anyone needs? :)

Cheers,

Daniel.

--
Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Re: MP list - now in CSV

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
C'est le délire!

Daniel Haran wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> The list of MPs retrieved from the government's website has now been
> cleaned up, and made available in CSV format (for databases and
> spreadsheets) It is available here:
> http://lokobo.com:3000/mps
> http://lokobo.com:3000/mps.csv
>
> The data is in the public domain, as is the source code for retrieving
> and displaying it on the web. The software is available through
> http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=3225 (technical information in
> README).
>
> Now that I'm started, is there any other similar information anyone needs? :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Daniel.

Re: MP list - now in CSV

Daniel Haran
On 3/18/07, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:
> C'est le délire!

Thanks.

Oh dear. 80 visitors so far, and Google has been indexing a new page
every 2 minutes this morning (70+ at last count).

Someone asked me when they'll be able to look up MPs by postal code,
and I have to admit the exercise is tempting - especially as my
employer is willing to let me spend 20% of my time developing these
types of projects.

-Daniel.

Re: MP list - now in CSV

Judyth Mermelstein
Dear Daniel,

Thank you very much for doing this, and I hope you will solve the lookup by postal code problem for us, too.

It would be lovely if you could manage to do the same for provincial legislators. I don't know what else to suggest at the moment but I dare say you'll have requests from others.

Meanwhile, I'd like to ask you how widely you want those URLs spread around. If I forwarded your message as-is to all my activist friends, the traffic might well crash your server.

>From your e-mail address and your understanding employer, I'm guessing you work for Chebucto's community network. Am I right? If so, please pass my compliments along to your workmates, too!

Regards,

Judyth

---

>Message: 1
>Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:31:24 -0400
>From: "Daniel Haran" <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [CivicAccess-discuss] MP list - now in CSV
>
>Hi folks,
>
>The list of MPs retrieved from the government's website has now been
>cleaned up, and made available in CSV format (for databases and
>spreadsheets) It is available here:
>http://lokobo.com:3000/mps
>http://lokobo.com:3000/mps.csv
>
>The data is in the public domain, as is the source code for retrieving
>and displaying it on the web. The software is available through
>http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=3225 (technical information in
>README).
>
>Now that I'm started, is there any other similar information anyone needs? :)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Daniel.

Judyth Mermelstein   "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
Montreal, QC         <[hidden email]>
Canada H4G 1J4       <[hidden email]>
"A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
"Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."

Re: MP list - now in CSV

Daniel Haran
Hi Judyth,

Thanks for the feedback.

Although I'm a big fan of chebucto community net, and was a member
early on, I used Chebucto because it was the name given to the Halifax
Harbour by the Míkmaq. My employer is http://www.growwwing.com/.

As for the server- let's see how well slicehost holds up. My
application may be slow because it's currently running with full
logging (diagnostics for me in case something goes wrong!), however
I'm not afraid traffic will crash it at this point.

Please forward away!

-Daniel.

On 3/19/07, Judyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Daniel,
>
> Thank you very much for doing this, and I hope you will solve the lookup by postal code problem for us, too.
>
> It would be lovely if you could manage to do the same for provincial legislators. I don't know what else to suggest at the moment but I dare say you'll have requests from others.
>
> Meanwhile, I'd like to ask you how widely you want those URLs spread around. If I forwarded your message as-is to all my activist friends, the traffic might well crash your server.
>
> From your e-mail address and your understanding employer, I'm guessing you work for Chebucto's community network. Am I right? If so, please pass my compliments along to your workmates, too!
>
> Regards,
>
> Judyth
>
> ---
>
> >Message: 1
> >Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:31:24 -0400
> >From: "Daniel Haran" <[hidden email]>
> >Subject: [CivicAccess-discuss] MP list - now in CSV
> >
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >The list of MPs retrieved from the government's website has now been
> >cleaned up, and made available in CSV format (for databases and
> >spreadsheets) It is available here:
> >http://lokobo.com:3000/mps
> >http://lokobo.com:3000/mps.csv
> >
> >The data is in the public domain, as is the source code for retrieving
> >and displaying it on the web. The software is available through
> >http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=3225 (technical information in
> >README).
> >
> >Now that I'm started, is there any other similar information anyone needs? :)
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Daniel.
>

> ##########################################################
> Judyth Mermelstein   "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
> Montreal, QC         <[hidden email]>
> Canada H4G 1J4       <[hidden email]>
> ##########################################################
> "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
> "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."

--
Change the world one loan at a time - visit Kiva.org to find out how

Re: MP list - now in CSV

Hugh McGuire
daniel/mike:

looks fantastic...both projects.

what would be fantastic is to find a way to combine this data, with MIke L's idea @ civicsense ... a collection of RSS feeds for each politician. These feeds could include RSS feeds from google news (containing, say, "Stephen Harper") and blog mentions in Technorati/google blogs.

Stephane (i think) is in the process of setting up a user-input database to try to get postal code/electoral district info into one place, in a free format.

I had thought initially that a wiki might be a good way to try to collect this data into one place - but it maybe a better system would be something like drupal, with each riding/politician getting a page. or maybe wiki could still be a more flexible way to go?

in any case, it'll be nice to get this so-basic data into the hands of citizen groups ... as-is or expanded. and I think it might be interesting to  consider promoting on these projects the civicaccess.ca message/mission (ie.: "The govt should give this to us for free ... instead we need to do all this extra work or pay money for this basic democratic information") .

anyway, good work guys.

cheers,
hugh.