Letters from Associations re-Re-in-statement of the Long-Form Census

Letters from Associations re-Re-in-statement of the Long-Form Census

Tracey P. Lauriault
Now that we have had a bit of coffee in our systems after the big night, I wonder if as associations and members of associations, and directors of NGOs, and so on, if we should not be writing a few letters to the new fellow in in charge.

Perhaps a nice place to start, is to ask for the Re-In-statement of the Long-Form Census on behalf of:
  • Geographers
  • Community Based researchers / Social Planning Councils
  • Librarians
  • Archivists
  • Open Data enthusiasts
  • Demographers
  • Social Scientists
  • Researchers
  • and so on!
Here is the list of those who wanted it re-instated in the 2010 summer of censulessness.  You could just touch up some of those old dusty letters... and here is that list http://datalibre.ca/census-watch/

Be sure to mention the change about the Statistics Act and the need for the division of power between the Chief Statistician and the Governor in Council (This was the sticky wicket last time!). While at it why not make mention the request for a more open, transparent, communicative/outward facing and more consultative National Statistics Council.  They were great, but we only heard about them after the debacle and not during their long tenure.

Cheerio

Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data