Invitation to join Open Government Civil Society Network

Invitation to join Open Government Civil Society Network

James McKinney-4
Hello all,

Canada is preparing its third Action Plan on Open Government, and we want to ensure Canadians and civil society organizations engage regularly and effectively in its development and implementation.

In a nutshell: We are establishing a civil society network to work with government to establish a permanent dialogue mechanism around its Action Plan on Open Government. As part of this, we are asking organizations and individuals to join the network by signing the following letter of intent:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gRCWnI02hoOUpaMUdqd3ZJSVU

Every two years, Canada and 68 other countries create action plans as members of the Open Government Partnership (OGP). Canada’s first two plans each contained twelve commitments aimed at improving access to information, civic participation and public accountability.

Canada is required by the OGP to engage in public consultation in preparing and implementing its plan. There have been issues with the scope and nature of this consultation over the last two action plans. So, this year, we are establishing a Civil Society Network to coordinate civil society input and to make sure our voices are heard.

Our vision for the Network is to establish a permanent dialogue mechanism through which the government first co-develops commitments for its action plan with civil society representatives, and later co-implements those commitments and then co-assesses its performance. This can only happen if we are organized.

The Network has an expectation that members will, based on their capacity and resources, contribute to its development and goals. At the same time, once the mechanism is established, it will be a powerful tool for members to push for commitments that are specific to their areas of activity — whether it’s health, education, homelessness, environment, or any other area.

We are still in the early stages of determining the structure of the Network and growing our membership. We have created an interim steering committee to take the work forward for now; we will in due course adopt proper terms of reference and elect a new steering committee. For now, we would like to get a number of organizations to join the Network and sign the following letter of intent so we can get the wheels in motion. (You can sign via email.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7gRCWnI02hoOUpaMUdqd3ZJSVU

Canada launched its consultation today and is expected to publish a final action plan on July 1st so we need to move quickly.

We hope many of you will join this Network to establish and then participate in the proposed mechanism for more robust consultation. We are already in regular communication with the government, but we need significant participation for the Network to benefit civil society.

Best,

James McKinney
On behalf of the Canadian Open Government Partnership Civil Society Network, whose interim steering committee is:

James McKinney
Gail Davidson, Lawyers' Rights Watch Canada
David Fewer, CIPPIC
Jean-Noé Landry, Open North
Michael Lenczner, Powered by Data
Toby Mendel, Centre for Law and Democracy

http://www.opengovdialogue.ca/

Re: Invitation to join Open Government Civil Society Network

Henrik Bechmann
Please add my signature to this.

Henrik Bechmann
Member, Civic Tech Toronto