HELP - Content for a petition on Access to Data

HELP - Content for a petition on Access to Data

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Hi gang; HEEEEELP!

I just got this request from Jo Walsh (her particulars are below) and well i am on my way out the door and going to a dif. city, so I am asking to see if you could share any knowledge towards this.  Point form is fine, and can you point me to any docs.  My knowledge is a bit dated right now.  Eeek! I will check whatever you send when I get to my destination, and thanks if you can help!

Tracey

*****************

dear Tracey, you may remember me from a bazillion conversations that we
never had the chance to have yet and i hope will do In The Future.

There is an access to geodata crisis going on in Europe right now.
This INSPIRE Directive on euro spatial data infrastructure is going to
grant copyright and IP rights over all geodata collected by state
agencies to those agencies. It's going to impose a common
cost-recovery licensing policy that nobody wants except the national
mapping agencies' lawyers and beancounters.

I am working with Benjamin Henrion of the FFII to help him build a BIG
petition and accessible campaign website with the open knowledge
foundation. The draft wiki is here, and in a day or 2 it will be at
publicgeodata.org - http://okfn.org/geo/wiki/

I know that Canada is a key case in liberalisation of access policy -
there's that very pro-public-access-geodata KPMG study - then a lot of
high-level stalling - you have a new one-stop portal clone - etc.

What i need is a fair and balanced, quick and concise laymans'
braindump of what's changing in Canada, how it is helping civic and
economic innovation, in context of how it's possible to find Third Way
licensing models, here: http://okfn.org/geo/wiki/AlternativeModels
The fewer and more precise and convincing words, the much better.

Would you be interested in providing such a braindump? Would you be
able to offer this request to someone who would want to and has time
to? This would be a *tremendous* favour. We need to get the intro
material into good shape ASAP - hoping to launch the petition tomorrow
- the vote in the euro parliament could be as soon as 2,3 weeks away -
it's being pushed through with a new IP emphasis very hurriedly.

-jo
http://frot.org/