GovLab seeking Peer Reviewers for 19 Case Studies

GovLab seeking Peer Reviewers for 19 Case Studies

Bianca Wylie
The GovLab is looking for open peer reviewers for the study we are conducting for Omydiar: 19 case studies require your attention!
More details are in the email below

To sign up to be a Recognized Peer Reviewer, complete this short form to share more about your interest and expertise. Once signed up we will provide you access those case studies that interest you most along with a brief questionnaire. Upon completing the review, your name (and affiliation) will be added to our list of peer reviewers.
In collaboration with Omidyar Networkthe GovLab has conducted 19 detailed case studies of open data projects around the world. These case studies are meant to act as a common resource for the field, providing evidence on the real-world impacts of the release of open data.

From GovLab

As a member of the open data community, we need your help. In the spirit of openness that defines the field of open data, we are currently undertaking an open peer review of our 19 open data impact case studies, as well as the Key Findings paper developed based on evidence uncovered through the case studies.

We are experimenting with a hybrid approach in which we invite individuals to sign-up to become a recognized peer reviewer with early access to the drafts while opening up the process at a later stage to everyone. At such we not only experiment with the way we review reports but we can also understand more about what works best.

Recognized Peer Reviewers: We are looking for people like you with specific expertise on open data in general or as it relates to a given case study to provide more in-depth review and analysis. Are you an expert on education in Mexico or open data to improve citizen decisionmaking? Sign up to review our case study of Mejora Tu Escuela! Do you work in the anti-corruption sector in Indonesia or study the use of data to ensure fair elections? Give us your thoughts on the Kawal Pemilu case study!

To sign up to be a Recognized Peer Reviewer, complete this short form to share more about your interest and expertise. Once signed up we will provide you access those case studies that interest you most along with a brief questionnaire. Upon completing the review, your name (and affiliation) will be added to our list of peer reviewers.

Open Peer Review: Starting on Monday November 9th, each of the 19 case studies will be publicly shared in draft form at the Open Data Impact Case Studies Repository (http://odimpact.org). Using the comment function in Google Docs, all interested parties will be able to review and share suggestions, clarifications, notes on potential inaccuracies, or any other useful input to inform the finalization of the cases prior to publishing.

Both streams of the open peer review process will conclude on Monday November 30th.

The initiatives examined in the case studies are:
  1. Brazil – Open Budget Transparency Portal – Making Public How Public Money is Spent
  2. Canada –T3010 Charity Information Return Data – Accountability of Charities through Open Data
  3. Denmark – Open Address Data Set – Consolidating and Freeing-Up Address Data
  4. Indonesia – Kawal Pemilu – Elections: Free, Fair and Open Data
  5. Kenya – Open Duka – Open Data for Transactional Transparency
  6. Mexico – Mejora Tu Escuela – Empowering Citizens To Make Data-Driven Decisions About Education
  7. New Zealand – Christchurch Earthquake GIS Clusters – Open Data for Improving Emergency Response
  8. Sierra Leone –Battling Ebola – Data Sharing to Improve Crisis Response
  9. Singapore – Dengue Cluster Map – Open Data for Public Health
  10. Slovakia – Open Contracting Projects – Establishing Trust in Government through Open Data
  11. Sweden – OpenAid.se – Enhanced Transparency and Accountability in Development Cooperation
  12. Tanzania – Shule.info and EducationDashboard.org – Tale of Two Education Dashboards
  13. U.K. – OS OpenData – A Clash of Business Models
  14. U.S. – Eightmaps – The Unintended Negative Consequences of Open Data
  15. U.S. – Kennedy vs. the City of Zanesville – Open Data as Evidence
  16. U.S. – New York City Business Atlas – Leveling the Playing Field
  17. U.S. – NOAA: Opening Up Global Weather Data in Collaboration with Businesses – Creating a New Industry Through Access to Weather Data
  18. U.S. – Opening GPS Data for Civilian Use – Creating a Global Public Utility
  19. Uruguay – A Tu Servicio – Empowering Citizens To Make Data-Driven Decisions On Healthcare
Please do let us know if you have any questions about the Open Data Impact Case Studies or the open peer review process. And please feel free to forward this email to members of your network