Global Open Data Index needs submissions for Canada!

Global Open Data Index needs submissions for Canada!

James McKinney-4
Deadline: Friday, January 20

The Global Open Data Index (one of the most popular measures of the openness of data around the world) needs submissions for Canada for its latest edition!

You just need to go to http://global.survey.okfn.org/place/ca and click the pencil icon at the end of any row to complete an assessment of a dataset’s openness.

You might find it helpful to reuse parts of last year’s assessments (which had a different methodology) here: http://index.okfn.org/place/canada/

Your help is needed to ensure Canada is included in this year’s index!

Best,

James

Re: Global Open Data Index needs submissions for Canada!

Tracey P. Lauriault
Greetings all;

I have started to fill this out.

I have a question:
Business Registry
Is with the Canadian Revenue Agency correct? http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/bn-ne/bro-ide/menu-eng.html

I could not find a registry database accessible to the public.  Is that correct? You can however search if you have a number correct?

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 10:22 AM, James McKinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
Deadline: Friday, January 20

The Global Open Data Index (one of the most popular measures of the openness of data around the world) needs submissions for Canada for its latest edition!

You just need to go to http://global.survey.okfn.org/place/ca and click the pencil icon at the end of any row to complete an assessment of a dataset’s openness.

You might find it helpful to reuse parts of last year’s assessments (which had a different methodology) here: http://index.okfn.org/place/canada/

Your help is needed to ensure Canada is included in this year’s index!

Best,

James

Tracey P. Lauriault
Assistant Professor
Critical Media Studies and Big Data
Communication Studies
School of Journalism and Communication
Suite 4110, River Building
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
1-613-520-2600 x7443
[hidden email]
@TraceyLauriault
Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault

Re: Global Open Data Index needs submissions for Canada!

James McKinney-4
Business registry is with Industry Canada (currently known as Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada): https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpSrch.html

The open data doesn’t contain the directors of corporations, but the public search does.

Cheers,

James

On Jan 16, 2017, at 7:49 AM, Tracey P. Lauriault <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks James, I have asked some experts on that file to help me out. I will also ask for help on draft legislation.

I do have some questions regarding the Budget and wonder if you might help.

The http://open.canada.ca/ portal, includes some data tables Budget of 2016 but there is no supporting documentation and it is not possible to assess is this is the complete set of records for the budget?  Is there another link somewhere other than http://www.budget.gc.ca/2016/docs/plan/toc-tdm-en.html which does not seem to have any data tables.

This is what is being sought:
"National government budget at a high level. This category is looking at budgets, that is the planned government expenditure for the upcoming year, and not the actual expenditure."

The index seeks the following:

a) Budget Per Government Department

b) Budget Per Sub-Department

c) Description for Budget Sections

Thank you for your assistance.
Tracey

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM, James McKinney <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The 'planned government expenditure’ that the Index is looking for is known as the ‘estimates’ at the federal level. The main estimates page that I refer to is http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hgw-cgf/finances/pgs-pdg/gepme-pdgbpd/index-eng.asp

The federal government updates their planned expenditures through supplementary estimates three times a year, labeled A, B, C. There's a page here: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/hgw-cgf/finances/pgs-pdg/se-bsd/index-eng.asp

Here’s the open data for main estimates 2015-16 http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/669052cf-f21a-4bb6-8594-931b768ac38b

Searching the catalog for supplementary estimates gets: http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset?q=supplementary%20estimates

I haven’t opened the data files, so I don’t know if they answer the a), b), c) from the Index.

Best,

James

> [...]
>> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>>
>> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
>> [hidden email]
>> @TraceyLauriault
>> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault
>> https://carleton.ca/sjc/people-archives/lauriault-tracey/
>

> --
> Tracey P. Lauriault
> Assistant Professor
> Critical Media Studies and Big Data
> Communication Studies
> School of Journalism and Communication
> Suite 4110, River Building
> Carleton University
> 1125 Colonel By Drive
> Ottawa (ON) K1S 5B6
>
> 1-613-520-2600 x7443
> [hidden email]
> @TraceyLauriault
> Skype: Tracey.P.Lauriault
> https://carleton.ca/sjc/people-archives/lauriault-tracey/

Re: Global Open Data Index needs submissions for Canada!

Thanks James!  I will take it from here.