Fwd: [webofchange] Sierra Club Data Manager Position

Fwd: [webofchange] Sierra Club Data Manager Position

gsawhney
Administrator
[Is it appropriate to post this kind of stuff to this list? -Gabe]

Re: Fwd: [webofchange] Sierra Club Data Manager Position

Michael Lenczner
considering it says the word "data" three times, the word
"information" once, and the word "voter" once, i would say definitely
so!

 :-)

On 1/27/06, Gabe Sawhney <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [Is it appropriate to post this kind of stuff to this list? -Gabe]

Hugh McGuire
I have not listened to this yet, but looks interesting:
http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail808.html

 From IT Conversations:
MAYA's Information Commons strives to allow people to freely share and
remix many kinds of information by building a network of interconnected
repositories of information. As different types and sources of data are
added to the network, the potential value of the information that can be
created from that data increases. Through an open, distributed
architecture, Information Commons provides a platform where public data
can be accessed, annotated, corrected, and otherwise enhanced.

MAYA projects already in the Information Commons include; easing the
task of connecting human services providers with thier users; and
layering environmental toxin information over geo-specific maps of
health problems. The company is now building the peer-to-peer Civium
Workbench application to provide access to the Information Commons and
to share any information added or edited with the rest of the Commons.

Michael Lenczner wrote:

> considering it says the word "data" three times, the word
> "information" once, and the word "voter" once, i would say definitely
> so!
>
>  :-)
>
> On 1/27/06, Gabe Sawhney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>[Is it appropriate to post this kind of stuff to this list? -Gabe]

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
Wholly tomolli Hugh!

I really like data portals and this might be a really good community one!

This might also be an open spatial data infrastructure (SDI) not
completely community driven as Maya looks like a big corporate player,
so the portal could be a way to give them an edge on relevant info to
inform their consultancy work!

If i am correct, this may be the first non state (national mapping
organization) or global org (e.g. APSDI - Asia Pacific SDI) version.  It
has all the characteristics. A data portal w/metadata forms, viewing
tools, supportive policies, useability, and technology! It would be
really interesting to see how data quality, reliability and accuracy are
addressed.

Wow! ESRI tried with this - Geospatial One-Stop Initiative
(http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/gisportal-toolkit/about/case-studies.html)
but it was really driven by their corporate interests.

I downloaded some papers and the harbor white paper, and have sent it
out to some pals who are well versed in these types of technologies to
hear their thoughts are.