[Fwd: RE: East Science Sector (ESS) provides no fee access to Digital Topo Data]

[Fwd: RE: East Science Sector (ESS) provides no fee access to Digital Topo Data]

mgurst
Subject: RE: [CivicAccess-discuss] East Science Sector (ESS) provides no
fee access to Digital Topo Data
From:    "Michael Gurstein" <[hidden email]>
Date:    Fri, March 23, 2007 10:54 am
To:      "'civicaccess discuss'" <[hidden email]>

Hi Tracey,

(Community) GIS is most certainly not my area, but I was working a
couple of years ago with community GIS folks from UCLA (Neighborhood
Knowledge LA-NKLA) on another project and they mentioned at the time
that the problem with doing the kind of thing that they were doing in LA
(and the rest of California) in Canada was the cost of acquiring the
base maps that you need in order to build the GIS models.

Apparently that was prohibitive (I've also heard similar things from
other people...

MG

Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training
Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
[hidden email]
Ste. 2101-989 Nelson St.
Vancouver, BC CANADA v6z 2s1