Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Daniel Haran
It's been fairly quiet in the past couple days... Here's a letter I
sent to my MP; feel free to adapt to send to yours :)

I'll let you know if I get a substantive response. Do we have
something like http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/ in Canada?

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Robin Millette

http://www.digital-copyright.ca/letters

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Russell McOrmond-2
Robin Millette wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Daniel Haran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'll let you know if I get a substantive response. Do we have
>> something like http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/ in Canada?
>
> http://www.digital-copyright.ca/letters

   I believe your suggestion is to take Daniel's letter, modify into a
simpler sample letter, and add it as one of the letters people can send
from the DCC website?

   I'm wondering what of Daniel's letter is the core message, or whether
it should be kept in its entirety?

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Hugh McGuire
my suggestion is to use the wiki to make:
1.  statement/letter that people are comfortable with,
2. get commitments to sign (from within & without civicaccess)
3. make a list of who it should go to
4. send it

there's a draft up here:

Just fyi, my limited experience with letters & politicians is that 10 personalized letters are much more powerful that 10 copies of the same letter signed by different people.

On Feb 19, 2007, at 1:16 PM, Russell McOrmond wrote:

Robin Millette wrote:
On 2/17/07, Daniel Haran <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'll let you know if I get a substantive response. Do we have
something like http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/ in Canada?

   I believe your suggestion is to take Daniel's letter, modify into a
simpler sample letter, and add it as one of the letters people can send
from the DCC website?

   I'm wondering what of Daniel's letter is the core message, or whether
it should be kept in its entirety?

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Russell McOrmond-2

   In case this is what was suggested, I have created a test letter.

   http://www.digital-copyright.ca/letter5

   Please send feedback.  If the letter based on Daniel's letter is
considered good enough, I'll make this live (change the script to send
the letter to the actual MP rather than to me) and we can all use this
tool to get a letter out.

Russell McOrmond wrote:

> Robin Millette wrote:
>> On 2/17/07, Daniel Haran <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I'll let you know if I get a substantive response. Do we have
>>> something like http://www.hearfromyourmp.com/ in Canada?
>>
>> http://www.digital-copyright.ca/letters
>
>   I believe your suggestion is to take Daniel's letter, modify into a
> simpler sample letter, and add it as one of the letters people can send
> from the DCC website?
>
>   I'm wondering what of Daniel's letter is the core message, or whether
> it should be kept in its entirety?

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Michael Lenczner
I think we could improve upon the letter before it gets made live.

I tried to merge Daniel's and Hugh's letter.  It might have just
resulted in a version worse than both - because Hugh's was a public
call to action, and Daniel's was a specifc to send to an MP.

But maybe someone else will step in and make it better?

http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/PostalCodes

Hugh McGuire wrote:
> Just fyi, my limited experience with letters & politicians is that 10
> personalized letters are much more powerful that 10 copies of the same
> letter signed by different people.

   Agreed.  We just need to also remember that 10 letters sent to a
variety of MPs is much better than interest groups just discussing an
issue among themselves ;-)

   Parliament tends to be unaware of our interests, often because we
don't attempt to express those interests.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Hugh McGuire

>    Agreed.  We just need to also remember that 10 letters sent to a
> variety of MPs is much better than interest groups just discussing an
> issue among themselves ;-)
i agree very strongly.

Michael Lenczner wrote:
> I think we could improve upon the letter before it gets made live.
>
> I tried to merge Daniel's and Hugh's letter.  It might have just
> resulted in a version worse than both - because Hugh's was a public
> call to action, and Daniel's was a specifc to send to an MP.
>
> But maybe someone else will step in and make it better?
>
> http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/PostalCodes

   I believe the sample letter at
http://www.digital-copyright.ca/edid/letter5  has a benefit of being
focused as a letter from a constituent, and also discusses the issue of
accuracy which would be improved with public peer review.

   The letter above seems to be intended to form a letter from an
organization, rather than an individual constituent.  Both can be done,
as each has different advantages and disadvantages.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Hugh McGuire
>    The letter above seems to be intended to form a letter from an
> organization, rather than an individual constituent.  Both can be
> done,
> as each has different advantages and disadvantages.

right there are two separate approaches here:
1. a letter or statement for which we could get, say, 100 co-signatories
2. sample letters that individuals can send

my pref would be to see us do 1 and 2, not either or.

Re: Fwd: Postal Codes and MP ridings

Phillip Smith

I was in the process of writing my own letter and recalled a site
that I came across recently that let me quickly and easily explain
the potential of access to "civic data." I thought I'd share that
site with the list in case it wasn't on your radar:

http://www.civicfootprint.org/

I'm wondering if it would be fun / useful to collect a list of sites
that are making use of these data sets for future reference? I've
been using a 'civicaccess' tag on del.icio.us for this and it seems
that others have too (http://del.icio.us/tag/civicaccess)  ... maybe
we could pull such a feed into the Wiki?

Best,

Phillip.

--
Phillip Smith,