Fwd: IODC is less than 5 days away! / Plus que 5 jours avant CIDO 2015 - Pre-event workshops

Fwd: IODC is less than 5 days away! / Plus que 5 jours avant CIDO 2015 - Pre-event workshops

Michael Roberts-4
Hi all,

For those in Ottawa this week for the IODC 2015, here is the full program of pre-events http://bit.ly/1LDliKi that includes links to specific events.
You can still participate in these.

Cheers,
Michael

In particular we are promoting a Data Standards Day on Wednesday May 27th at the Shaw Centre which includes the following events:

- Afternoon Workshop: Users Needs from Open Data Standards http://iodc-standards.webfoundation.org/workshop
14:00 – 17:30 This interactive workshop session will dig into different users need from open data standards, and will explore different ways to meet these needs with tools, standards, support and community building.

9am – 10.30am: A step-by-step tutorial for officials and developers looking to publish data using the Open Contracting Data Standard.

Where do funds from big oil and mining projects go? How can we track these projects and what data do we need to follow the revenue flows? How can communities and organisations use data to analyse if their government is getting a good deal from oil drilling and mining?
Natural Resource Governance Institute will host a data dive to explore how community groups, journalists and arm-chair auditors can use granular extractives data to follow the money for analysis and fiscal modelling. We will share examples of data and research methods and provide lots hands-on support for deep dives into specific countries and companies.
09.00 – 10.30: Introduction to extractives project data dive
11:00 – 13:00: Hands on sessions

10:30 – 12:00 Fast and accurate data is a critical part of the international response to a humanitarian crisis. Data is needed to answer questions like how many people are affected by the disaster and how many are in need of assistance; who is responding where and what are the gaps in delivery? The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) recently launched a new humanitarian data platform – the Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX) – with the goal of making humanitarian data easy to find and use for analysis.

This session will introduce HDX: how it was created, what were the challenges, how users were brought into the process, and what the early successes have been. It will include a case study on the use of HDX in the international Ebola and Nepal Earthquake responses. Group discussion will be encouraged so that the lessons from HDX can be applied to other open data initiatives.

Follow the (corporate) money: using open data to improve integrity, procurement, development and reduce corruption & fraud

09:00 – 11:00 Open corporate data has been called a powerful tool to solve challenges governments and civil society faces in tackling corruption, procurement, development and beneficial ownership.
This session will encourage a dialogue between the government sector and civil society to map what this better world would look like and what must have happened to enable open data to solve this. The session will start off with presentations on the current status of open company data enabling change by experts representing government actors, business and civil society. Following this, we will deep dive into two discussions on the challenges and turning points in the road to tackling these issues with open corporate data. The session will conclude with a discussion on overcoming these barriers and what can be done today to achieve that.