Fwd: Fwd: The Geopolitics of Asian Cyberspace

Fwd: Fwd: The Geopolitics of Asian Cyberspace

aph809
This article on web censorship may be of interest.

Some ONI people made a presentation at Intl Development
Research Centre here in Ottawa.  Their in-country testing
of web access entails some very courageous people.  One
of their collaborators in a central Asian
country was attacked in a parking lot and his eyes
gouged out.

Andrew

> >The Geopolitics of Asian Cyberspace
>Far Eastern Economic Review V.169 N.10 December 2006
> >December 2006
> >
> >by Ronald Deibert
> >
> >What happens to your request when you click on a link to a Web site or send
> >an email?  For most surfers, the Internet experience begins and ends with
> >what happens on the computer screen in front of them.  However, if you
> >follow that email or Web request as it leaves your computer and passes down
> >the fiber-optic cable to the servers and routers of your local Internet
> >Service Provider (ISP), through the Internet Exchange Points (IXPS),
> >international gateways, and on to the undersea trunk cables of
> >telecommunications companies, you will find a complex and largely hidden
> >infrastructure of filters and choke points.
> >

> >HARRY HARRISON
> >
> >Conventional wisdom had it that the Internet was an unstoppable force for
> >liberalization, with nondemocratic states powerless to control this
> >sprawling, seamless network of networks.  But this vast international
> >“underbelly” of the Internet —almost completely invisible to most Internet
> >users—has become an object of geopolitical contestation among states, and a
> >site where political power is being asserted.
> >
> >Perhaps nowhere is the geopolitical dynamic playing itself out more
> >forcefully than in the vast region of Asia. Home to one of the world’s
> >cyber-superpowers, China, and dozens of newly emerging markets eager to
> >capitalize on the benefits of new information and communication technology
> >(ICT) while limiting negative side-effects for centralized political
> >authority. Sophisticated ICT companies, many from the West, are following
> >the lead of Asian governments, offering a wide range of appropriate
> >products and services.
> >
> >This exercise of political power in cyberspace by states in Asia, however,
> >is not going uncontested. A swarming resistance movement of tech-savvy
> >citizens is forming to protect the Web as an unfettered forum of freedom of
> >speech and access to information. With the development of new software
> >tools designed to circumvent censorship, they are taking the battle to the
> >Internet’s inner core.
> >
> >Perhaps the best window on the dark underbelly of the Internet comes from
> >the research of a project I direct: the OpenNet Initiative (ONI)—a
> >collaboration among the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto, the
> >Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School, the Cambridge
> >Security Programme, the Oxford Internet Institute, and partner NGOs
> >worldwide. The aim of the ONI is to document empirically patterns of
> >Internet censorship and surveillance worldwide using sophisticated means of
> >technically interrogating the Internet directly.  The ONI’s tests are
> >carried out both remotely from North America and the United Kingdom, and in
> >the field by dozens of local researchers. Our reports over the last several
> [...]

Andrew Hubbertz
Librarian Emeritus
University of Saskatchewan Library

613 692 2709