Fwd: Fwd: MAPS-L: long-term preservation of geospatial data / digital collection development

Fwd: Fwd: MAPS-L: long-term preservation of geospatial data / digital collection development

aph809
Hello,

I am forwarding this for your possible interest.
So far as I know, there is not a great deal of cross-membership
between this list and CARTA-L.

Long-term preservation of, and access to, digital information is
a big issue among librarians these days.  Simply put, without
preservation, there is no long-term access.  And preservation entails
a good many complex issues, technical, legal, financial, and organizational.

Cheers,

Andrew

----- Forwarded message from marcel fortin <[hidden email]> -----
    Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:37:18 -0400
    From: marcel fortin <[hidden email]>
 Subject: Fwd: MAPS-L: long-term preservation of geospatial data / digital
collection development
      To: [hidden email]

Apologies for cross-posting/forwarding but I thought this may be of
interest to those of you not on MAPS-L

Re: Fwd: Fwd: MAPS-L: long-term preservation of geospatial data / digital collection development

Tracey P. Lauriault-2
thanks andrew!
One of my fave topics.  I have been working on this with Carleton U,
LAC, Ottawa U, GeoConnections and InterPARES 2.  And dang it, why does
it take so long?  There was a good session on the topic at GEOTec 2006.
I particularly liked the airphoto, vanmap and science portal study.
Perhaps i am biased though ;)  I am looking for the proceedings.

Andrew, do you have a few good links or readings you can recommend for
folks on this list to read?  Many are not in the library / archive field.

Also, what did you think of CitySondage -
http://civicaccess.ca/wiki/CitySondage?  If we had a good questionaire
put together would you be able to call City of saskatoon or Regina?

Cheers

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am forwarding this for your possible interest.
> So far as I know, there is not a great deal of cross-membership
> between this list and CARTA-L.
>
> Long-term preservation of, and access to, digital information is
> a big issue among librarians these days.  Simply put, without
> preservation, there is no long-term access.  And preservation entails
> a good many complex issues, technical, legal, financial, and organizational.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Andrew
>
> ----- Forwarded message from marcel fortin <[hidden email]> -----
>     Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:37:18 -0400
>     From: marcel fortin <[hidden email]>
>  Subject: Fwd: MAPS-L: long-term preservation of geospatial data / digital
> collection development
>       To: [hidden email]
>
> Apologies for cross-posting/forwarding but I thought this may be of
> interest to those of you not on MAPS-L

Tracey,

I am 'retired' from the University of Saskatchewan, and in
fact I now live in the Ottawa area.  Hence, not in a position to call
Saskatoon or Regina city offices.

On the question of readings on digital preservation...This is a huge and rapidly
growing area of research.  Perhaps the seminal document is
the OAIS Reference Model
(http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/650x0b1.pdf).

Some years ago, NASA discovered that data collected from some
of their space probes was undecipherable, because of degradation
of the medium and because record formats had been lost or forgotten.

In order to insure that such losses did not recur, a NASA committee
drafted a "Reference Model for an Open Archival Information
System (OAIS)".  From the outset, the Reference Model was meant to
be of general application and quickly became a draft ISO standard.

It is a high level document and VERY difficult reading.  Basically
it comes down to this:  what are the requirements for a trusted
repository for digital records?  i.e., what does a repository, archive,
etc. need to do so that a creator can be assured that material deposited
in the archive will be permanently available.

The central notion is that every digital object will be accompanied
through ingest, management, and delivery by information that adequately
describes the object, i.e. metadata.  The model also addresses the
organizational requirements, e.g. management and administration.

>From time to time, someone will claim that their product or service
is "OAIS compliant".  That is generally a bit of a stretch, as the
Model is very high level.  Presently, researchers are working on bits
and pieces of the Model, translating a high level objective into
something practical tools.

If you want to read more on OAIS, you might check the
RLG/OCLC site:  http://www.rlg.org/en/page.php?Page_ID=3201

Also, you might check D-Lib Magazine (http://www.dlib.org/).
This a highly respected and quite readable journal devoted to
digital libraries in every aspect.

Not all of this is relevant to preservation of numerical data...

My apologies if this stuff is common knowledge to you and other
members of the list.

Finally, I would be happy to meet with Ottawa members, given the
opportunity.  I am actively involved in library work, though not at
the moment involved in data services.

Yours,

Andrew