Fruit Walls: Urban Farming in the 1600s

Glen Newton
While this is a little tangential to this group, I thought it would be of interest.

"We are being told to eat local and seasonal food, either because other crops have been transported over long distances, or because they are grown in energy-intensive greenhouses. But it wasn't always like that. From the sixteenth to the twentieth century, urban farmers grew Mediterranean fruits and vegetables as far north as England and the Netherlands, using only renewable energy.
These crops were grown surrounded by massive "fruit walls", which stored the heat from the sun and released it at night, creating a microclimate that could increase the temperature by more than 10°C (18°F)."

Glen

Re: Fruit Walls: Urban Farming in the 1600s

Nigel Waters

So much for "The Little Ice Age"

Nigel Waters

While this is a little tangential to this group, I thought it would be of interest.

"We are being told to eat local and seasonal food, either because other crops have been transported over long distances, or because they are grown in energy-intensive greenhouses. But it wasn't always like that. From the sixteenth to the twentieth century, urban farmers grew Mediterranean fruits and vegetables as far north as England and the Netherlands, using only renewable energy.
These crops were grown surrounded by massive "fruit walls", which stored the heat from the sun and released it at night, creating a microclimate that could increase the temperature by more than 10°C (18°F)."

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2015/12/fruit-walls-urban-farming.html
www.lowtechmagazine.com
(17) (1) Your "Low Tech Magazine" is truly impressive, a public service well done! (2) In the Austrian Alps we use south and southeast facing cliffs (old quarries are ...

Glen