FW: [d@DCC] Anti-copyright - no more maps?

Gurstein, Michael
Saw this on another list...

MG

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Jim
Borynec
Sent: September 28, 2006 5:41 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [d@DCC] Anti-copyright - no more maps?

Here is an interesting question?

Canada soon will not be printing topographical maps.
You will have to download and print them yourself
(if you have a big enough printer, otherwise you are SOL - which will be
the case for everyone.

What copyright issues are raised by this move?
Can anyone set up a business copying and printing maps?
Has Canada effectively abandoned the copyright?

See attached message below for more details:

Re: FW: [d@DCC] Anti-copyright - no more maps?

Robin Millette
Good news, seems like they're backing down:

"Canada shreds plan to scrap paper maps"
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/10/12/map-office.html

--
Robin 'oqp' Millette : http://rym.waglo.com/
Président de FACIL : http://facil.qc.ca/